Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2019, 11:39 AM   #1

Things you've had stolen off your trailer(s)?

I'm curious who else has had weird things stolen off their trailers over the years. We've had 2 things stolen off 2 different trailers while on the road, not camped.

First was about 5 years ago, we stopped at a truck stop (DP towing our PWC trailer) for food and had the PWC trailer's license plate stolen.

Then sometime over the past 2 days, between Maine and home in IL, someone stole the extending foot off our Husky electric jack. Is it possible the clip wasn't on correctly? Anything's possible but it's unlikely since I check that it's on and secure as soon as the jack is retracted. We got home yesterday afternoon and I go to unhitch...only to find the foot is gone. Had it fallen while going down the road then I would've thought I'd find SOME evidence of it kicking back up and bouncing off something on the bottom of the trailer but no signs of any impact.

I had an Amazon credit so I went and ordered the Fastway Flip. Oh well.

Strange days...
Old 07-08-2019, 11:53 AM   #2
waybeck2018

Not really weird I guess, but we had a full propane tank stolen, and they left the partially full one, go figure. Ran it down to some druggies with a scrap trailer off in the woods who needed it to make meth. Those cylinders are not cheap to replace! Never got mine back.

Looking Forward to Completing This Map Soon !
waybeck2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 11:56 AM   #3
Multi-Slacker

While sitting in the storage lot, someone stole the right-hand side taillight lens and left their old, skanky one behind. The thing is that they broke one of the mounting tabs so have to buy the whole underlying assembly including license plate bracket. Total PITA
Old 07-08-2019, 11:59 AM   #4
Just as confused as you

Most people I know take the foot/landing pad off the jack and stow it when traveling. Gives a little more clearance and no chance of it falling off.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 12:03 PM   #5

Have never had anything stolen off any RV, anywhere.
But we have had spare tires, straps, lever binders, and chains stolen from our flat bed trailers. Sometimes removed from the load while eating lunch at a truck stop!!!!
Just a reminder to always check all your connections before you head out from anywhere
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 12:17 PM   #6
Always Learning

I came out from a fast-food lunch stop to find the pin to my coupler missing on our pop-up camper many years ago. I was spastic about having it and checking for it (how I found it missing). I can't be 100% certain it was there when we left the house, but I know it was gone after lunch.

Fortunately, a few doors down was a Tractor Supply. I went and bought a few spares.
Old 07-08-2019, 12:25 PM   #7

I had two Group 31 deep cycle batteries stolen from my trailer while parked on it's pad in my back yard. Not more than a week old.

Since then nothing. But now I have a cable locks on the propane tanks (locks hold down mechanism), spare tire, and two on the bumper mounted generator.

I also changed ALL of the compartment doors from the common lock that everyone has a key for to tubular locks with a totally unique key.

Truck also has a hard tonneau cover with locking tailgate.

We now live in a society where people prowl EVERYWHERE looking for the easy score, something of value not secured. Most are stealing to support their drug habit.

Perhaps it's time to just hand out drugs to these addicts for free. First, no worries about them having to steal to support the habit and for many it will just cure society's problem.

It's time to just declare the war on drugs a total loss and let "nature take it's course".

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 12:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I came out from a fast-food lunch stop to find the pin to my coupler missing on our pop-up camper many years ago. I was spastic about having it and checking for it (how I found it missing). I can't be 100% certain it was there when we left the house, but I know it was gone after lunch.

Fortunately, a few doors down was a Tractor Supply. I went and bought a few spares.
There was a time or two when we owned popups that I have a "Bent Nail", Bolt and Nut and a plastic tie strap due to me misplacing the lock pin.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 12:31 PM   #9
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
There was a time or two when we owned popups that I have a "Bent Nail", Bolt and Nut and a plastic tie strap due to me misplacing the lock pin.
When I worked for LL Bean, they had us use a padlock. I always debated doing that with the pop-up but was always too lazy to do it!
Old 07-08-2019, 12:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
When I worked for LL Bean, they had us use a padlock. I always debated doing that with the pop-up but was always too lazy to do it!
I use key locks on the TT's now, but I also carry a Dremel Tool and a supply of cutting disks, just in case a key decides to grow legs and walk away.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 01:13 PM   #11
RV There Yet?

I use a tongue lock as well. when we had our popup the front storage bin had a padlock and so did the hold-downs for the roof. we have a padlock through the spare tire and propane tank as well. Have not had anything stolen (yet)
Old 07-08-2019, 01:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
Most people I know take the foot/landing pad off the jack and stow it when traveling. Gives a little more clearance and no chance of it falling off.

No clearance problems here, but stowing it wouldn't have been a big deal. Just never was a concern...before now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
I use key locks on the TT's now, but I also carry a Dremel Tool and a supply of cutting disks, just in case a key decides to grow legs and walk away.

I use these for the coupler lock and drawbar lock. If I lose the keys to my truck then I have bigger problems to worry about.

https://www.boltlock.com/
Old 07-08-2019, 01:20 PM   #13

I pulled into a campground in Iowa last year and saw my campers twin. Noticed that they were missing a center hub cap. Thought maybe I'd go and tell him he can buy them online (I had a couple that were flaking chrome). The next morning I poked my head out just in time to see them pulling out of the campground. Their trailer had hub caps on all four.. mine didn't.

Of course they took one of the good ones.... I was shocked.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 01:27 PM   #14
ARLO

Knock on wood, nothing.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 01:30 PM   #15

Stolen stuff

At the same National Park campground, 2 years in a row...First, our ice chest full of ice and wine. Next our Honda 2000i generator. They cut the cable securing it in the night. I now have a cable and lock guaranteed to require a hydraulic cutter.
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 01:33 PM   #16

When at home I bike-lock my two propane tanks together. I figure it might slow them down if they have to lift two full tanks off there at once.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 01:37 PM   #17

The old saying "Locks keep honest people honest " always applies. I cable lock, padlock or weld anything I don't want to leave. They will make enough noise or vibration to wake someone in the night. While you're gone, nothing you can do except pray!
Blank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 01:52 PM   #18

In over 10 years of camping covering, over 20,000 miles traveled, numerous stops in all sorts of locations NOTHING has ever been stolen from us.

That said, we keep our camper in a covered location beside our shop building when not traveling. We have neighbors who all look out for one another.

We DON"T stay in Wal-Mart parking lots, Only stay in campgrounds or on family property so we are careful.
Old 07-08-2019, 02:06 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
I pulled into a campground in Iowa last year and saw my campers twin. Noticed that they were missing a center hub cap. Thought maybe I'd go and tell him he can buy them online (I had a couple that were flaking chrome). The next morning I poked my head out just in time to see them pulling out of the campground. Their trailer had hub caps on all four.. mine didn't.

Of course they took one of the good ones.... I was shocked.
Where better to source your parts than at a campground where everyone assumes you are honorable and nobody knows you? [emoji34]

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 02:34 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh1957 View Post
Where better to source your parts than at a campground where everyone assumes you are honorable and nobody knows you? [emoji34]
Exactly. I was pretty upset.

All it takes is a screwdriver. Pretty gutsy.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer