Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2010, 12:43 PM   #1
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
Exclamation This advice could save your life!

This advice is for both old members and new members.

If you are new to RVing, please read the thread above about TORNADO PREPARDNESS. It could very well save your life.

This week, we experienced over 30 tornadoes in our area in a few hours time. One area that was struck is the lake area where our Salem trailer is parked. The tornado in Mentor, MN took out a whole campground on the lake tossing the trailers and boats all over. The area was completely destroyed, and I know there were people in some of these trailers that did not evacuate. The tornado dropped down and wiped out that campground then hopped over the road over our campground sparing it completely! (aside from downed trees) About a mile North of our trailer the tornado dropped down on the only gas station in town, and destroyed it. Three people were hiding inside who were injured. The owner of the station was in the store, and sacrificed his life by diving on top of his daughter to shield her from the flying debris. Wes Michaels was killed protecting his daughter. I bought my last tank of gas from Wes last week.

The moral of the story here is...we are all vulnerable to Mother Nature. She can and will strike at any time. Please do what you can to protect yourself and your family from dangerous weather.

ADVICE:

A good NOAA Weather radio should be VERY high on your list of RV items to buy. These days...weather alerts can come by cell phone as well.

Knowing where your campground fall out shelter is CRITICAL! Sometimes, there are only SECONDS to get there!

When a WARNING is broadcast...get out of that trailer and seek hardened shelter immediately!

Be safe out there fellow campers!

PS...ever seen what happens to a travel trailer in a tornado? Ever seen a pontoon boat 25 feet up in a tree? I have.

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 12:47 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Amen

We were just missed during a trip cross country.

I had no idea there even WAS a shelter until after it was all over.

No one came for us. Afterwards everyone wondered why we did not "show up" when the sirens were going off.

Lesson learned when camping in "Tornado Alley"
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 05:20 PM   #3

I think the bathhouses are the only shelter in most of the campgrounds we go to. I know everyone in the cg could not fit in them. I often look around for a low area to lay in if anything happened like that. I am not sure we would be safe, but it would be better than staying in the trailer.
2011 Shamrock 23ss
2010 Ford F150 super cab 4 X 4
ilovecamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 06:22 PM   #4
Jan Goldfield

Thanks so much for the info. As a Michigander born in tornado alley and Katrina survivors, we know what weather can do and respect it greatly.
After Katrina we found our refrigerator in a tree several blocks away-at least we think it was ours. We found our chimney and the slab where our house was and that's about all.

2009 Cherokee Grey Wolf 28BH
2009 Ford 150
pondlady is offline   Reply With Quote