Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2021, 12:08 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by httntheroad View Post
Doesnt the article state Sale,? You will still be able to use existing equipment. I just see a lot of out of state purchases.
At this point we are all just ranting on our mini soapbox
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply
Old 10-12-2021, 08:33 PM   #62

Not what I would call good timing for that particular law

https://www.usnews.com/news/business...-in-california
Old 10-12-2021, 09:05 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
At this point we are all just ranting on our mini soapbox
Ranting, and wasting time. I don't have a clue about which country(s) are leading the way with clean air, nor do I care anymore because it's a losing battle for us. I've flown all over the world and had the privilege of being able to look down while cruising along at 45,000 feet and seeing what pollution really looks like. Go look at China, India, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Vietnam, and many others and it's easy to see they have more pollution in each 100 square miles than the USA has in its entire land area.
emm-dee is online now   Reply
Old 10-12-2021, 09:43 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
Ranting, and wasting time. I don't have a clue about which country(s) are leading the way with clean air, nor do I care anymore because it's a losing battle for us. I've flown all over the world and had the privilege of being able to look down while cruising along at 45,000 feet and seeing what pollution really looks like. Go look at China, India, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Vietnam, and many others and it's easy to see they have more pollution in each 100 square miles than the USA has in its entire land area.

This is a true statement. Iíve seen it myself. But somehow itís OUR responsibility.
SMH
Old 10-13-2021, 09:43 AM   #65
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by httntheroad View Post
Doesnt the article state Sale,? You will still be able to use existing equipment. I just see a lot of out of state purchases.
As with any law, the devil is always in the details. While the Law may appear vague right now, I imagine that when the "regulators", i.e CARB, get done with their review, it will be more restrictive and punitive in nature. So, buckle-up.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply
Old 10-13-2021, 06:18 PM   #66

So here is the actual pertinent text of the new law:

43018.11. (a) (1) By July 1, 2022, the state board shall, consistent with federal law, adopt cost-effective and technologically feasible regulations to prohibit engine exhaust and evaporative emissions from new small off-road engines, as defined by the state board. Those regulations shall apply to engines produced on or after January 1, 2024, or as soon as the state board determines is feasible, whichever is later.

Interesting wording.
NavyLCDR is online now   Reply
Old 10-13-2021, 06:26 PM   #67

"off-road"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
So here is the actual pertinent text of the new law:

43018.11. (a) (1) By July 1, 2022, the state board shall, consistent with federal law, adopt cost-effective and technologically feasible regulations to prohibit engine exhaust and evaporative emissions from new small off-road engines, as defined by the state board. Those regulations shall apply to engines produced on or after January 1, 2024, or as soon as the state board determines is feasible, whichever is later.

Interesting wording.
Thanks for posting that, Commander. I guess all the discussion about lawn mowers, leaf blowers, and chainsaws is moot. But the would-be owners of side-by-sides and four-wheelers need to buy now or forever hold their peace.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply
Old 10-13-2021, 06:31 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Thanks for posting that, Commander. I guess all the discussion about lawn mowers, leaf blowers, and chainsaws is moot. But the would-be owners of side-by-sides and four-wheelers need to buy now or forever hold their peace.
No....off-road engine is any engine used to power equipment whose primary function is not to propel the equipment on public roadways. Section one of the new law:

SECTION 1. (a) The Legislature finds and declares all of the following:
(1) Small off-road engines (SORE), which are used primarily in lawn and garden equipment

Here's the linky:
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...owamends=false
NavyLCDR is online now   Reply
Old 10-13-2021, 08:15 PM   #69

Problem solved. The below pictured wood chip burner will run on totally renewable, non fossil, fuel.
Cellulose burner. Commonly known as a wood gas burner.
Wood. Japan ran all sorts of vehicles with these contraptions.
It works. Gasoline is better.
The new small engine law will garuntee an underground "used" equipment market complete with proper dates and serial numbers. There's always a solution (work around) to onerous laws if there's a few Benjamin's involved.
California's proposed new lawn engine law is equivalent to the proverbial butterfly wing flap...in China. It's a feint to take greenies' minds off of the upcoming massive need for fossil fuel powered electricity.
I need popcorn...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20211013-210030_Google.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	264382
JRHERE is offline   Reply
Old 10-14-2021, 09:40 AM   #70
Trailer Park Supervisor

I guess that would include boat engines too! Lots of boats on CA's vast shoreline....it's so hard not to laugh at these people and their unrealistic dreams.
NJKris is online now   Reply
Old 10-14-2021, 05:28 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
I guess that would include boat engines too! Lots of boats on CA's vast shoreline....it's so hard not to laugh at these people and their unrealistic dreams.
How many boats are powered by <25hp engines? In CA it serms like 250hp is barely "entry level".

In an earlier post it was mentioned the zero emission's requirement went into effect when that was technologically feasible. A law with similar technological requiment was passed years ago requiring the stamping of an ID number on fired ammunition cases. (Offered only because of similarity, not for discussion of the items involved)
To my knowlege no such technology exists beyond the creative minds in high office and no signs of any soon.

Will this law have any effect? Or will it just be a feel-good act that appeases a few voters?

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply
Old 10-14-2021, 06:54 PM   #72
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
How many boats are powered by <25hp engines? In CA it serms like 250hp is barely "entry level".

In an earlier post it was mentioned the zero emission's requirement went into effect when that was technologically feasible. A law with similar technological requiment was passed years ago requiring the stamping of an ID number on fired ammunition cases. (Offered only because of similarity, not for discussion of the items involved)
To my knowlege no such technology exists beyond the creative minds in high office and no signs of any soon.

Will this law have any effect? Or will it just be a feel-good act that appeases a few voters?
I missed the 25hp thing. I just read 'small engines' and lumped outboard engines into that in my head. I forgot everybody runs 1000 hp outboards now, lol.
NJKris is online now   Reply
Old 10-15-2021, 11:11 AM   #73

California simply needs to ban God. Then I will sit back and see how that goes
Thatdarncat is offline   Reply
Old 10-15-2021, 11:13 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatdarncat View Post
California simply needs to ban God. Then I will sit back and see how that goes
I think they are just about there!

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply
Old 10-15-2021, 11:36 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRHERE View Post
Problem solved. The below pictured wood chip burner will run on totally renewable, non fossil, fuel.
Cellulose burner. Commonly known as a wood gas burner.
Wood.

Attachment 264382
Trees are made of CARBON, Burning carbon contributes to pollution. So while it takes 24 hours to burn a tree, it takes 20 years to replace said tree. Doesn't sound to "clean" OR "renewable" to me. YMMV.

Mike&Donna
2013 Dynaquest 390XL
On the dolly:
2012 Scion iQ (Inclement weather & grocery getter)
Mythplaced is offline   Reply
Old 10-15-2021, 11:43 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_GA View Post
I think they are just about there!
LOL, Yea, when they do all their problems in California will be solved once and for all.
Old 10-15-2021, 11:50 AM   #77

Just exited California yesterday.

My son showed me the mowing solution in San Francisco. They have herds of goats to take care of the grass. On the cities payroll!

All the reservoirs are very low. Locals are fighting over it! Getting worse.

Electricity is double Ohio. No new plants being built. Likely need 20 years.

Current blackouts.

Kind of makes no sense to me.

What a pretty state! Everything costs more!
tomkatb is offline   Reply
Old 10-15-2021, 02:55 PM   #78
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythplaced View Post
Yes, those are called solar panels. I've also seen some small rv windmills . Personally I have boondocked for weeks without starting the generator with only 400 watts of solar. Getting water was a bigger issue than electricity

So yes, there is such a thing as electric generators. Not cheap, but there are alternatives.
Spare us that analogy. Running an RV out in the woods off a solar panel has no comparison to running a 250K sq ft super market 24/7/365 with it's massive HVAC and refrigeration systems. And windmills?, we have two wind farms here in Alaska. One in Kodiak, the other up near Fairbanks called the Eva Creek Windfarm. The Eva Creek complex has 12 windmills. At any given time only half of the are operating. The others sit idle due to bearing and mainshaft failures. Repair require a super crane that costs $2700/ hr. All the repair costs get passed on to Golden Valley Electric customers.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply
Old 10-15-2021, 03:27 PM   #79
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_GA View Post
Yep, nothing worse than cow farts! Except volcanos, that is. We should ban volcanoes.
I dont know, my cat has been known to clear a room on more than one occasion
Lincman983 is online now   Reply
Closed Thread