Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2020, 05:24 PM   #1
Fully COVID-19 vaccinated

This is why you repack the bearings on a new camper.

Brand new camper and this is how the bearings came from the factory.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200513-181858_Gallery.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	228945

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 06:34 PM   #2

Wow ! That's something else, Was there issues or you were just checking things out?
Chris Pastuzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 06:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Pastuzyn View Post
Wow ! That's something else, Was there issues or you were just checking things out?

No problems, I'm just aware that the factory does a less than stellar grease job so I was correcting it.

Old 05-13-2020, 06:51 PM   #4

The "factory" doesn't to anything with the axles/wheel bearings other than bolt them to the bottom of the trailer frame. Forest River doesn't warrant lots of things, including the axles.

-- Chuck
Old 05-13-2020, 07:36 PM   #5

Kinda hard to tell from the picture but it looks like the roller cage is packed with grease, if so what is wrong?
Mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 07:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike134 View Post
Kinda hard to tell from the picture but it looks like the roller cage is packed with grease, if so what is wrong?

Rollers are empty.

Old 05-13-2020, 07:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
Rollers are empty.

Lucky you made it home
Mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 11:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike134 View Post
Iím of the same opinion. They look fine to me.

All the grease folks pump into their hubs is just a waste of grease with the potential to blow out the seal and fill the brakes with grease.

Quote:
Rollers are empty.
I may not be looking at them in person but I can clearly see that the rollers are packed with grease that has turned black from use. Totally normal and it is what mine looked like when I did mine this spring.

Thatís why they should be inspected and repacked regularly. It gives you the opportunity to inspect your bearings and brakes and to replace the grease that has picked up contaminates prolonging the life of the bearings and the races.

JMO,

Bob
HappyTrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 12:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTrav View Post
Iím of the same opinion. They look fine to me.

All the grease folks pump into their hubs is just a waste of grease with the potential to blow out the seal and fill the brakes with grease.

I may not be looking at them in person but I can clearly see that the rollers are packed with grease that has turned black from use. Totally normal and it is what mine looked like when I did mine this spring.

Thatís why they should be inspected and repacked regularly. It gives you the opportunity to inspect your bearings and brakes and to replace the grease that has picked up contaminates prolonging the life of the bearings and the races.

JMO,

Bob
The trailer is a brand new 2021. The only place I've ever taken it is home from the dealership.

Old 05-14-2020, 02:39 PM   #10

This is why you repack the bearings on a new camper.

Quote:
The trailer is a brand new 2021. The only place I've ever taken it is home from the dealership.

Understand itís a 2021, however, where did you purchase the unit? These things are generally transported hundreds of miles to dealerships at times. I live about an hour away from where these things are produced and see transports everyday!
billybigrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 07:29 PM   #11

One thing i don't think many people really understand about the bearings used on trailer axles is that they really don't require a lot of grease.

They are in the type of bearing known as "anti friction bearings" which by design have very little if any sliding motion on their mating surfaces. Unlike sleeve or journal bearings.

If water and dirt can be totally excluded each bearing can perform quite well with less than a tablespoon of grease.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 07:57 PM   #12

X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
One thing i don't think many people really understand about the bearings used on trailer axles is that they really don't require a lot of grease.

They are in the type of bearing known as "anti friction bearings" which by design have very little if any sliding motion on their mating surfaces. Unlike sleeve or journal bearings.

If water and dirt can be totally excluded each bearing can perform quite well with less than a tablespoon of grease.
X2, these types of bearings have rolling elements, either balls or rollers which roll along the races with very little friction or heat. In fact, to much grease will increase the heat buildup in this type of bearing. In precision spindle bearings, the amount of grease is measured in cc for this very reason. The axle bearings also run at very low speeds, for bearings, which is why they need a high pressure lube. At 60 mph, your wheels and bearings are only turning about 6-7 hundred times per minute. That is a very slow surface speed and should induce low wear if they get the little bit of lube they need and dont get contaminated.

As I have posted before, more dirt gets into the bearings when you are taking the hubs off than what normally gets in while driving down the road. And the contaminates are the real enemy of the bearings. Keep good seals and they will last a long long time.

RockinH Bill
2019 Silverback 37RTH
2014 Shadow LQ 3 horse select
2015 Ram Laramie DRW
2012 Kaw Concours
Rockinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 08:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinh View Post
X2, these types of bearings have rolling elements, either balls or rollers which roll along the races with very little friction or heat. In fact, to much grease will increase the heat buildup in this type of bearing. In precision spindle bearings, the amount of grease is measured in cc for this very reason. The axle bearings also run at very low speeds, for bearings, which is why they need a high pressure lube. At 60 mph, your wheels and bearings are only turning about 6-7 hundred times per minute. That is a very slow surface speed and should induce low wear if they get the little bit of lube they need and dont get contaminated.

As I have posted before, more dirt gets into the bearings when you are taking the hubs off than what normally gets in while driving down the road. And the contaminates are the real enemy of the bearings. Keep good seals and they will last a long long time.
Boat trailers that are immersed are the exception.

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 05-14-2020, 09:01 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I can not understand all the issues with EZ Lube. I aam on my 4th modern trailer since 2012 and used EX lube on all. Never had an issue with blowing seals out, bearing burnout. Every spring pump and it works. The key is to take it slow, wait for the dirty grease to come out.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 09:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
I can not understand all the issues with EZ Lube. I aam on my 4th modern trailer since 2012 and used EX lube on all. Never had an issue with blowing seals out, bearing burnout. Every spring pump and it works. The key is to take it slow, wait for the dirty grease to come out.
I don't understand either but some are convinced it "blows seals", even those who don't even have that type of axle.

I use mine per instructions and NO issues but i DO follow the instructions.

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 05-14-2020, 09:29 PM   #16
FLY4FUN

Same here...been using the EZ Lube "as designed" for close to 25 years on 3 light travel trailers. Always careful to pump slowly, rotate the wheel & look for clean grease to exit. I do buy that these bearings actually "need" very little grease and I also agree that having the hub bore loaded with grease probably causes a bit more heat build-up than "sparsely" greased bearings, probably similar to our old(er) autos with similar wheel bearings. I do pull the hubs every 5 years or so to inspect brakes...otherwise, the EZ Lube is...well...easy & works for me. Kinda like "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" (or, "if it's apparently designed to work & is available, why not use it?"). YMMV. It's a subject that never goes away and often seems to bring out opinions and experiences that strongly suggest impending failure of bearings, seals and brakes on the horizon. Different strokes for different folks.
14apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 10:13 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
And spin the tire as you're injecting the grease very slowly. And never use a pneumatic grease gun.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 10:13 PM   #18

boat trailer grease

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Boat trailers that are immersed are the exception.
That is caused in a large part by the formulation of the grease. Regular petroleum based grease is created by making oil thicker (grease) by adding soap. Guess what happens when you add water to that mix, you get a brown foamy mess, which doesn't lubricate real well. We started using a synthetic based grease which is waterproof and has a much higher temperature ceiling than petroleum based lubes. I have customers who use their trailer weekly and gone the whole year, launching weekly, without having to repack and without damage or infiltration from water.

RockinH Bill
2019 Silverback 37RTH
2014 Shadow LQ 3 horse select
2015 Ram Laramie DRW
2012 Kaw Concours
Rockinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 10:29 PM   #19

The real cure to this whole thing is to convert to oil fed bearings. 80-90 weight synthetic axle lube. Jay
New TV 2020 2500HD gas.
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bearings, camper