Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2011, 05:35 PM   #1

This whole Mold topic............

Now that Spring is coming around, there seems to be quite a few post about mold and mildew (mildew still contains mold spores and should be treated as such). I have stated my opinion several times and have had a few PM's from people letting me know they think I am wrong. I am just trying to put the info out there to keep you and your family safe and healthy.

This is a picture of drywall that I tore out of a house today. 6 months ago this family had a professional restoration company come in and repair and fix water damage to their 6 year old sons room. Some of the flooring, walls and carpet were replaced while others were treated. They used a bleach solution to "kill" any reamaining mold in the house. Today the child is at Childrens hospital and the restoration company will have a court date with the family when they sue. It states right in our building codes (which I have posted in other threads) that bleach will only discolor the stain of mold, it WILL NOT kill it, therefore it is in violation of city code to use it as a method of mold removal.

There are "chemicals" that you can buy that will kill the mold, but if you would prefer to not use chemicals where you are living and want to stay green, they do the exact same thing "white vinegar" does. Yes it doesn't smell very good at first but the smell goes away. Vinegar has been proven time and time again to be the most effective way, without harsh chemicals, to KILL mold. We get a lot of these calls and we remove a lot of mold these days because our company has been placed on the Better Business Bureau's Honor Roll for mold extraction.

Here is the other thread with some links.....................................
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...s-10582-2.html

You guys can take it all for what it's worth and make your own decisions. I'm just trying to help keep everybody a little more safe. Spring is almost here! Happy Camping!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mold (Small).jpg
Views:	167
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	4724  
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:46 PM   #2
Wanna Be Camper

Thanks for the tips. My daughters house will be getting some vinegar treatment soon.
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:43 PM   #3
CampeRooo

A very good post, glad it made it to the sticky pile too. Thank you.

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP
rthrbelsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:52 PM   #4
Villa Estate 392FLFB

does steamers work to? thought they cook it on the spot.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Stuff View Post
does steamers work to? thought they cook it on the spot.
The answer to that is yes and no. Some mold is heat resistant and the steamers will not kill it. They say that at 220 degrees it is considered a dry steam, but in some cases you are just adding to the problem, what is considered dry steam still contains about 10% moisture. There is no problem with hitting it with the steamer but I would still treat it twice with the White Vinegar.

Important note on the vinegar is that you do not rinse it out, treat it and let it dry on its own.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:30 PM   #6
CampeRooo

There's a parallel thread about using "Wet and Forget" commonly found at the local Costco's. Any word on that item? Looks promising from the material that I've read about it and I can find many other uses for it, including mosquito control during that time of the year.

Joe

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP
rthrbelsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:49 PM   #7

Got out the bottle of vinegar and went over everything. Would have liked to have done it again, but I had to close up ends. Giving rain and as of now everything is nice and dry as could be. Want to keep it that way. Will open up and wipe down again as soon as it passes.

Official member of the "Roo Kroo"!
2009 - 4, 2010 - 135
2011 - 95 and counting
skeeterbait8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthrbelsewhere View Post
There's a parallel thread about using "Wet and Forget" commonly found at the local Costco's. Any word on that item? Looks promising from the material that I've read about it and I can find many other uses for it, including mosquito control during that time of the year.

Joe
My boss has actually been in contact with the makers of this product. It has been around for almost 25 years I think. What we have got from them is that they do not claim it kills mold, their claim is that it removes mold and mildew "stains". If I can get ahold of the emails we have received I will post them. I cannot say for certain one way or the other if it will "kill" the spores. They do also say on their website that they recommend you do use it around your pets and if sprayed on plants it could kill them. That is why I say to use the vinegar if you want to stay green. Like I stated above, there are chemicals that will kill the mold, it is your decision wether you want to use them or not.