Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2018, 06:05 PM   #21

Hiding place.

I put my gear under my bed in the storage area and just cover it with a couple pillows and blanket. Most people don't think of that area for storage. Another area is under a jack knife sofa if you have one.
RetiredAF1955-1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:37 PM   #22

security

It is best if you can find a good hiding spot inside the rig. Secondly, install a good alarm system. On my old class C unit I adapted a home security system with door sensors and motion detection. I just bought a GeorgeTown Class A and plan on doing the same. They also have newer car alarms now with glass breakage and door sensors that will page you if a break in occurs. I know I will install something to protect my belongings and unit from theft and damage.
Daddystribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:07 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddystribe View Post
It is best if you can find a good hiding spot inside the rig. Secondly, install a good alarm system. On my old class C unit I adapted a home security system with door sensors and motion detection. I just bought a GeorgeTown Class A and plan on doing the same. They also have newer car alarms now with glass breakage and door sensors that will page you if a break in occurs. I know I will install something to protect my belongings and unit from theft and damage.
Any thoughts on which alarm system you will install? I did a quick search and there are literally hundreds of options.

2018 Forest River Sabre (cobalt), 30RLT
2011 GMC Sierra 3500 HD 4X4 Long Box, 6.0L Vortex
WhiteEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:08 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAF1955-1981 View Post
I put my gear under my bed in the storage area and just cover it with a couple pillows and blanket. Most people don't think of that area for storage. Another area is under a jack knife sofa if you have one.
I'm heading out to my RV storage area tomorrow to see how much room is under the bed. I think that's certainly one option that will help. Some of my stuff probably won't fit though (like my drone case).

2018 Forest River Sabre (cobalt), 30RLT
2011 GMC Sierra 3500 HD 4X4 Long Box, 6.0L Vortex
WhiteEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:11 PM   #25
Multi-Slacker

Insure it & Secure it.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:26 PM   #26
Another adventure awaits!

Hello ... we purchased a lock box ... fire proof ... and installed in our bedroom closet ... they come in all sizes ...
Old 11-12-2018, 12:56 AM   #27

Secure your property as best you can. Purchase extra insurance for expensive property.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 06:30 AM   #28

security

I have just started to research many of the newer alarms. Your right, so many out there. If it's 110 powered you need an inverter, it 12 volt then just cennect to your battery's. I know it's going to be a long search but I have all winter to make a choice then install before spring.
Daddystribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:05 AM   #29

Gun Vault

Do you have enough room in any of your storage bays for a Truck Vault-type gun safe to fit into? You can find them in many different shapes and sizes and most of them are extremely difficult to breach. The downside is, most of them are pretty heavy.

Bruce
Old 11-12-2018, 08:14 AM   #30
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Maybe a sticker on the entrance door that says:

"Smile! You're On Candid Camera!"

Probably would work just as well as any security system at keeping the experienced thieves out.

If they want it...they will get it, no matter what we do to thwart them!

Earlier in this thread I mentioned to not use coolers to store camera gear in...

I remember years ago (back in the 80's) when a freelance writer for a photography magazine wrote the article telling all of the readers what a great security device to thwart off the camera thieves while at the beach or leaving your vehicle unattended at a trailhead.

Apparently, it seems that many of the thieves were also camera buffs and read that same article.

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:19 AM   #31
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Another funny...

When I bought my 5'ver brand new 3 1/2 years ago I got a set of keys to the safe, along with the entrance door and basement keys.

It is a very good and well hidden safe...

So good, in fact, that in 3 1/2 years...I still haven't found it yet.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 07:23 PM   #32
Rookies on this site.

Send a message via Skype™ to UsandScarlett
Check out the insurance offered through the professional photographers Association.
UsandScarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 08:05 PM   #33
D W

If you value it, insure it! Doesn't matter anymore where you hide it, or what kind of alarm you have. There have been numerous posts on this forum where the entire rig is stolen while in plain sight never to be seen again.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 08:42 PM   #34

Hidden in plain sight

I take a laundry basket and put my camera gear, in a trash bag, down in the basket. Then I casually drop dirty laundry on top and set a small bottle of laundry soap and a box of dryer sheets on top or next to it. Not too many bad guys are gonna go pilfering through someone's disgusting dirty laundry. I usually just set the laundry basket in the bathroom.
jnbghldn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 09:11 PM   #35

I think the only fool proof way would be to have a welder make a custom lock box out of 3/16” or 1/4 steel plate. The size is up to your gear amounts. Mount the box to the frame of the trailer somewhere you can deal with it. Under a table, bed, closet. Then all you really need is a lock where too much of it’s not exposed to bolt cutting and this should stop 99% of the thieves granted they don’t come in with a bolt cutters or cutting torch.

Being that I have a welder I just might make me one of these.

I’m surprised the RV door locks are more sturdy than the cardboard access panel with the cheesey lock next to the main door that is used to store stuff under your bed. I got this great lock on my door, but I can just pop this door off with my finger nail and crawl up through the bed
WolfPup2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 09:14 PM   #36

Mount a gun locker on it's back under the bed. Get the kind that has barrel locks because they are harder to pick.
Mount a trail camera (with black inferred lights) in an inconspicuous place to photograph anyone entering the trailer. That way you will have evidence if you have a break in. You could add a solar powered security light that will distract the buglers so they do not notice the camera.
Goldwing 1800GL
Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 09:17 PM   #37

Could make a secret access panel in the floor as well.
WolfPup2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 12:11 AM   #38

Dog
aerogoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 04:59 AM   #39

Security

I create secret compartments in mine to hide stuff. Lots of wasted space in these rigs. I keep my important papers in my lawyers fireproof safe and my next of kin have his phone number. I add that to the ICE "in case of emergency" numbers in my phone. First responders should know to look there. Make sure you have a lock on the hitch for your trailer when you leave. :-) Sometimes the whole rig walks off with a stranger and that's worse than your wife doing it! If the rig is recovered with the Vin numbers ground off your Secret compartment will allow you to prove ownership.
Papadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 11:24 AM   #40
Site Team

I know this is getting pretty long, but I see a couple places that could be opened up and a hidden storage place added.

1. Looks like there's a lot of space behind the fireplace. I'd look for a way to add some hidden hinges and a hidden latch (think magnetic release) and see if I could use that space.
2. Under the stairs. You'd be amazed how much stuff you can get under there and if you're pretty good with wood, you can make them open up and look just like they were original.
3. Behind the back wall of the pass-thru. There's tons of room in ours there. I'd build a screw in panel and no one would ever think to open it up looking for stuff.

I know that 2 & 3 are really the same area so it would be a matter of which is better for you and your skills.

Tags
sabre, trailer