Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2017, 03:12 PM   #21

tdst. I quote the OP."For those with rear kitchen travel trailers or fifth wheels"
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 03:18 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmann55 View Post
I have 2 friends who have them! Top cabinets are so hi they can't reach them and you must use all paper products be cause everything bounces and will shatter if you don't!
If your short you have trouble reaching top cabinets in your residential kitchen.
Never had anything "shattter"
Bouncing??
Never experienced any of these issues.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 04:42 PM   #23

Some interesting observations, keep them coming. We looked at the rear living floorplan with the two chairs in the back but liked the rear kitchen better. The DW said the rear living did not have enough counter space and one of the chairs seemed to be facing the kitchen counter and the door was right there as well. Each floorplan has its points and counterpoints. But they also make hundreds of flavors of ice cream to please the masses. Our trailer seems to be well balanced as far as weight distribution, it tows well behind the 2500. After a two hundred mile trip everything stayed in the cabinets too.
Old 01-28-2017, 04:50 PM   #24

Love RK in my fifth wheel

This is my first rv of any kind. Counter space is wonderful. Rear kitchen feels much more like a kitchen in a cottage. Bought it used and the silverware drawer was already showing signs of being repaired a number of times, so bungee it and so far no problems. With the slide in I can still reach in the fridge and get lunch and water out while stopped. The bins won't pull out all the way, but can be removed with a little maneuvering. Only thing I can't access is the TV no big deal and the first aid kit and umbrella I put in the cabinet below the tv, but that was an easy change. Dining chairs did fall over once - bungee them now and no problems yet. The thing I HATE is the microwave for giants. I do have a step stool, but it is so inconvenient. LOVE the counter space in a rear kitchen and that I can still open the fridge enough to get stuff out with the slide in.
Katja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 05:01 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
For those with rear kitchen travel trailers or fifth wheels, what do you like or dislike about the floorplan? I have heard a few concerns over the years like cabinets will fly open and stuff will scatter, or they could be stern heavy (rear). Thus far I have not experienced these and wonder if they are myths or real. As for the floorplan we love the wide open space and view of the campsite, roomy bathroom and bedroom, generous cargo carrying capacity of over 3,000lbs, and 70 gals of grey tanks and so much more.
We have such a floor plan and are currently looking for another. My wife is the chief cook and she likes the room many (but not all of them) provide AND that nobody is walking through the area while she is preparing food.

Cabinets flying open isn't a function of the kitchen being int eh rear anymore than it would be anyplace else.

I haven't noticed any "stern heaviness.

As somebody else mentioned, in some plans the slide will block access to the refrigerator. I agree. This is something you need to be aware of when you choose your unit.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:26 PM   #26

A few pics, the flush mount sink with covers and flush glass stove cover contribute to the generous counter space. Pantry and frig clearly inaccessible with slide in. Love the table and chairs and hide-a-bed sofa after having the dinette booth and jacknife sofa with bunks arrangement before.

Old 01-28-2017, 06:04 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwppwc View Post
X2 - We had a 28RKX Wildcat Maxx and loved the layout. But ended up upgrading to a bigger 5th wheel for even MORE room.
We have a 28RKX also and love it. Fifth season coming up and we have no issues with ride in the kitchen. Two years ago did the Dalton Highway to the Arctic Ocean and everything stayed put amazingly well. Remember RK unit often has the dish cupboards in the "front side" of the kitchen, which puts them more to the center of the trailer. I have a bigger concern about the frig, stove, water heater and furnace on the back wall but all seem to ride well.
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 06:30 PM   #28

Red face rear or center kitchen We have had both a

[We have had both in the 4, 5th wheels that we used. We much prefer the open floor plan of the center kitchen with the bar close to the door.
Never had anything fall out of the cupboards, depends on the packing and the latches on the cupboards as well.
We purchased 2 wall hugger recliners that sat by the large back window. Lots of light and feeling of spaciousness. I guess the large window is what really sold us on the center kitchen we love sunlight, and sunsets which we can watch.
Only draw back was that one has to go through the whole unit to get to the bathroom. We could still get at our stove and fridge etc. It was a 32 ft Alumascape 2004. Have sold it since but got back almost what we paid for it after 10 years of use,
But to each his own. Different strokes for different folks right?
anjb3741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 07:37 PM   #29
txkreddog

So far we have really enjoyed the rear kitchen setup. No problems with cabinets, and the pass-through storage up front is great. Our 246rks coachmen anniversary edition is smaller than a lot of units, but it is just right for us, and the rear kitchen configuration is just what the boss, aka DW, wanted.
txkreddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 08:00 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmann55 View Post
I have 2 friends who have them! Top cabinets are so hi they can't reach them and you must use all paper products be cause everything bounces and will shatter if you don't!
I couldn't disagree more with both your statements. First of all, the top cabinet height must be totally different in various brands. My 5' 2" wife can reach 90% of everything in her upper kitchen cabinets of our MAXX except items stored in the back of the corner unit. She has a small 8" plastic step stool for those items. With regard to everything shattering, I don't now about you, however, we don't carry gramma's "china" in our RV's. We used to carry correlle dishes and glass glasses. However, we prefer to use plastic dishes and glasses and in either case nothing is even out of place after a day on our nations fine interstates much less shattered/broken.
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 08:10 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
tdst. I quote the OP."For those with rear kitchen travel trailers or fifth wheels"
Sooo...since I don't own a rear kitchen RV, I can't participate in a friendly discussion? Who are you anyway? I'm really sorry and it won't happen again.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 08:11 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrubel View Post
RSchleder - WOW - you have owned ALOT of different types... I cannot believe they ranged from a Motorcyle Fold out to Diesel Pushers... that's an impressive range...

I REALLY enjoy the comments from the participants of this site. There is so much knowlege. What a great tool to have when a problem arises. Thanks!
The various types of RV's we've owned has actually been driven by my "hobbies". For many years we road a Honda Goldwing around the country and needed a trailer to pull. We also built/owned several classic cars and street rods and found one type of small TT perfect--special built teardrop classic trailer. When we started traveling from Iowa to the West Coast for Street Rod events we bought a enclosed trailer for the car so we started our string of diesel pushers. The popups were when the kids were growing up and $$ was limited, so we bought what we could afford. We sold the last pusher about 5 years ago and 2 MAXX TT have met our needs since then. This actually all started in 1970 and we've never regretted a second of it!
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
Old 01-28-2017, 08:33 PM   #33

I saw your photos and want to ask what make & model your TT is?
theroadbeckons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 08:37 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroadbeckons View Post
I saw your photos and want to ask what make & model your TT is?
2017 Coachmen Catalina 283 RKS.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:00 PM   #35

Thanks! Do the same people make forest river models? Yours is just like our vibe. We're newbies, but we love it!
theroadbeckons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:12 PM   #36

Forest River is the parent company of Coachmen and many other brand names. Coachmen used to be independent but was bought out by FR several years ago.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:11 AM   #37

Mandatory item as per my war department! She likes to see everything going on w/o any obstructions. We have a 31RK Silverback and really like it. The fridge comment though is valid.
DrippingDuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 07:46 AM   #38

Being a Rear Kitchen is NOT Exclusive to being able to have access to a Refer! Most RVs with slides Block Refers! Youroo!!
Old 01-29-2017, 07:59 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroadbeckons View Post
Thanks! Do the same people make forest river models? Yours is just like our vibe. We're newbies, but we love it!
Yes, Wildcat Maxx 28RKX is a rear kitchen model and after 3 years we remain extremely pleased with the floor plan, build quality, and reliability of the Maxx line of trailers. The 28RKX is our 2nd Maxx TT, our 1st was a 24RG which was traded because we wanted a couch AND 2 chairs which the 28RKX has.
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
Old 01-29-2017, 10:04 AM   #40

Love our RK! Just back from a single 4k mile, 3 week trip down south. Nothing broke, opened or spilled. We use Correll dinner ware. The glass turntable in the microwave jumps around so we put a dish towel under it. EZ PZ!