Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2017, 08:32 AM   #21

Bottom line: determine your fit; buy in or not. I checked. Did not fit our 2 year plan. Passed. I do encourage folks to look at resale market.
We have friends with the national pass and use the heck out of it. They have traveled constantly over the past 5 years.
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 09:25 AM   #22

thousand Trails

I bought into the program many years ago when they were first starting out. The pitch was exactly like any other time-share, and sold exactly like a time-share.
They were selling by pushing a couple of points: Safety: gated entry, security guards. Limited access: absolutely no non-members. New facilities: all newly built, state of the art campgrounds in Pristine areas (the Cisco Grove facility was new, and they were about to bring Chehalis, WA on-line. It was that long ago). Any place, any time: Drive up to any of the facilities without a reservation, and pull into a choice spot. Max stay 2 weeks, no permanent sites.
Shortly after, I went back to college, and I don't think we ever stayed but twice, total. We sold out in two years.
We have stayed in two since then, as non-member, were unimpressed with the facilities (one in Oklahoma. Don't remember the other, it was quite some time ago).
Since we mostly boon-dock, I haven't missed it one bit. Wasn't worth the money to me.
hankpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 11:38 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
We had some of the same concerns when considering to join last year for the first time. So, we opted on purchasing a Zone Pass. The way we did it is, we planned what area of the U.S. we were going to be traveling to and as luck would have it, Thousand Trails was having a 2 for 1 sale last February (2 zones for the price of 1). So, $600 later ($545 + tax), we chose the southeast & midwest zones.

We started the spring in Myrtle Beach, SC., traveled to Florida, Alabama, Tennessee, Kentucky, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, South Dakota & back.

The TT parks we stayed at were;

- The Oaks at South Point, Yemassee, SC - 5 days....this was a very run down park & needed a lot of TLC.
- Thousand Trails Orlando, Clermont, FL - 14 days....Very nice well kept park. Very close to Universal Orlando & Disney World. All FHU, 30 & 50 amp sections, paved sites w/no patios.
- Three Flags, Wildwood, FL - 3 days...another well kept park. FHU, mix of 30 & 50 amp, all grass sites.
- Hidden Cove, Arley, AL - 4 days...a very secluded family orientated, well maintained park, FHU, lake activities, 50 amp, gravel/grass sites. Not much in the area.
- Diamond Caverns RV Resort, Park City, KY, 4 days.... nicely maintained park, gravel unlevel sites on hilly property FHU 50 amp. Lots to do/see in the area (caverns, Corvette museum & assembly plant, Kentucky Bourbon distilliarys & bourbon trail).
- Lake Gaston, NC., 1 day....hilly campground on a lake shore, tall pines/trees, sand sites, 50 amp, very tight for maneuvering.
- Chesapeake Bay Resort, Gloucester, VA., 3 days....gravel site w/no patio, FHU, 50 amp, lake resort, well maintained but, short staffed. Still close enough to Williamsburg (1 hr) to explore the area.
- Williamsburg RV Resort, Williamsburg, VA., 7 days....dated, tight, old, sand unlevel tree rooted sites, FHU, 50 amp. but, a great place to base from to explore Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown & Busch Gardens.
- Twin Lakes, Chocowinity, NC., 2 days....average wooded campground on lakes so, plenty of boating activities, FHU, 50 amp.

All totaled, we spent 43 nights in TT parks & on the zone pass rules (first 30 nights no charge), the total monetary cost over & above the annual pass purchase was $99.

I have "heard" and my observations seem to confirm that the bulk of the money invested by Thousand Trails seems to go to the parks that are near major tourist attractions ie; Thousand Trails Orlando, Three Flags (45 minutes to Universal/Disney), Diamond Caverns. The only one I surprised about was Williamsburg. The worst was The Oaks at South Point which was little more than a place to park in the woods! Charleston, Beaufort, & Savannah are at least an hour away.

For us, the 2 for 1 deal was well worth it. 2 zones, 43 locations, 6 months & 10,000 miles was most cost effective (Coast to Coast & Passport America filled in the rest).

Oh, yeah....we full time.
Thank for detail list. This is helpful.
tamdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 11:43 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
1 - The location such as the name of the campground- We have stayed at pretty much all in the NE region, into OH and down to Florida along the coast.

2 - How long did you stay there- Various lengths. Anywhere from a weekend to two weeks at the longest.

3 - Would you come back again- We have had a few that were a bit rough around the edges, like one we stayed at in NC near the race tracks. It was very unlevel and re had issues navigating the grounds. But we would still go back in a heart beat. We also stayed at one in VA where they had a "rave" going until 2am one night. A bunch of campers "circled the wagons" and they litterally had lasers and lighting going to the music. We called the ranger and the calls went unanswered.. But we have been there about a dozen times since and never had this issue again.

4 - How was the service- Fine, we do not expect much and I am also very easy going so it would take a lot to really get me riled up. When we have had issues with sites (bad plugs or breakers) they have always been very quick to come out and do their best to fix the issues.

5 - Are you a full-time RVer- No, I wish, but my job and the DW's job does not allow for making money on the road. We camp about 40 nights a year and try to make the best of the time we have left on this world.

We have been members of TT since about 2005 or 2006. We have locked in dues, 180 days to make reservations, the whole country and all the resorts included in our package. We can also will it or sell it up to three times (well the purchaser can sell.. then they can sell.). We get free nights in cabins, but we have never used them, and get discounts on airfare, cruises and hotel rooms. But again we have never used it.

I was 22 when we purchased into this. It was around 5k at the time. It was alot for us to afford on my medic salary and my GF (now DW's) being a full time student. We also did not fit in much since we had a popup.. HAHA. But I looked at it as an investment into our future and so far it has paid off in spades. At this time the CGs were also PRIVATE members only. No one could stay in the parks unless they were either a member or had the free weekend card for buying a new RV. This gave you a weekend of free camping but you had to sit through their sales pitch. It was no pressure for us at the time. I hear varying storied now as to whether it is or not. Now you can get a free year I think? They also let anyone in now for a nightly fee, but I have found the fee to be a bit higher than some of the surrounding CG's

Depending on what you want out of it I would also consider an old plan on the used market. I know that if I was presented with the same TT membership today that I was given in 2005 I would sign up in a heart beat. But with their 10 year zone systems and fees if you stay over a certain amount of days I do not know if I would be so quick to sign up. We have a 5 year old and there is not a lot going on at most of the resorts, not like the private CGs (like the KOA's and such). TT seems more for the slow and quiet "older crew" but they do try to have things like xmas in July and tricker treating at some of them.

But, like I said I am easy to please. I used to sleep in a sleeping bag, under a tent half shelter using my jacket as a pillow eating mre's along the AT Trail so it would take a lot to get me upset...
Thank for the info. A question for you DOC...

If you have a long-term member which may be the so-called "Elite" member, have you ever have the problem that you could not book some prime campground during the prime season because they were all booked up even with 180 days out?
Old 11-19-2017, 11:50 AM   #25
Who Dares, Wins

No we have never had an issue making reservations. BUT, and it's a big but... While you make a reservation, because you can also just show up, you are not guaranteed a site. I have had a few times were the sites were slim picking when we showed up due to "walk ins ". Now we did just stay at a campground where if you did not make a reservation they let you in, but you were at the no hookups overflow. So that was nice. I do not know if that was that campground or a new tt rule.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 12:00 PM   #26

Quote:
No we have never had an issue making reservations. BUT, and it's a big but... While you make a reservation, because you can also just show up, you are not guaranteed a site. I have had a few times were the sites were slim picking when we showed up due to "walk ins ". Now we did just stay at a campground where if you did not make a reservation they let you in, but you were at the no hookups overflow. So that was nice. I do not know if that was that campground or a new tt rule.
So, they allowed you as an "Elite" member to book a site at 180 days in advance, BUT the booking is not guaranteed a site because of someone else just simply walk-in, right before you?

What kind of booking system is that?

Did I misunderstand your comment above?
Old 11-19-2017, 12:08 PM   #27
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamdle View Post
So, they allowed you as an "Elite" member to book a site at 180 days in advance, BUT the booking is not guaranteed a site because of someone else just simply walk-in, right before you?

What kind of booking system is that?

Did I misunderstand your comment above?
No you did not misunderstand... You do not get to choose a site so even booking does not mean that you are good. But, in 10 years only three times we have been tight at getting a home. Now, I have never just rolled in.. So maybe they do push you into the over flow if full.

I did stay at kinisee lake oh last year where they told me they booked 5 people with only two available sites... So who knows.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 11-19-2017, 12:13 PM   #28

Also, if you are the Thousand Trails Member, you could book/stay at any Encore campground for 20% discount.

My question is 20% of what? is their camping fee is on the $30 to $40 average or much higher?

1 - Did anyone stayed at the Encore and use the discount? Did you really save money compared to if staying at other campgrounds?
2 - How does Encore campground compare to the Thousand Trail Campground?

I looked at the Thousand Trail system in Florida and Arizona, there are 40 campgrounds in their system and only 3 are the Thousand Trails, In Arizona, there are 22 campgrounds in their system and only 1 is a Thousand Trails.

So if you are the Thousand Trail member, you do not have many choices in the state of Florida or Arizona, you will be forced to stay at the Encore and pay on your own at 20% discount, right?
Old 11-19-2017, 12:22 PM   #29

Quote:
No you did not misunderstand... You do not get to choose a site so even booking does not mean that you are good. But, in 10 years only three times we have been tight at getting a home. Now, I have never just rolled in.. So maybe they do push you into the over flow if full.

I did stay at kinisee lake oh last year where they told me they booked 5 people with only two available sites... So who knows.
Thanks for your response Doc!

So, let say you booked a site for 2 weeks 180 days in advance; when you get there, they ran out of space, including the overflow then you are "screwed"?

The question is, do they book the overflow too? or they only use the overflow for stagging the people who booked and do not have access to the site to stay until one with hookup site become available?
Old 11-19-2017, 01:02 PM   #30
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:

So, let say you booked a site for 2 weeks 180 days in advance; when you get there, they ran out of space, including the overflow then you are "screwed"?

The question is, do they book the overflow too? or they only use the overflow for stagging the people who booked and do not have access to the site to stay until one with hookup site become available?
Yeah I guess you could be screwed... I do not think they book the overflow but I am not sure.

We can stay at a few encores for free and the rest for a discount, I do not know what their rates are because we have never stayed at one. I do see the rates posted in the TT trailblazer magazine but I think it is usually for AZ and FL and it's a few hundred a week.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 11-20-2017, 03:29 PM   #31
Always Learning

Quote:
Also, if you are the Thousand Trails Member, you could book/stay at any Encore campground for 20% discount.

My question is 20% of what? is their camping fee is on the $30 to $40 average or much higher?

1 - Did anyone stayed at the Encore and use the discount? Did you really save money compared to if staying at other campgrounds?
2 - How does Encore campground compare to the Thousand Trail Campground?

I looked at the Thousand Trail system in Florida and Arizona, there are 40 campgrounds in their system and only 3 are the Thousand Trails, In Arizona, there are 22 campgrounds in their system and only 1 is a Thousand Trails.

So if you are the Thousand Trail member, you do not have many choices in the state of Florida or Arizona, you will be forced to stay at the Encore and pay on your own at 20% discount, right?
The rates for Encore parks are equal to or higher than surrounding parks. I find their cost with the 20% off still to be higher than I like to pay.

For Florida and Arizona, look at the Trails Collection (it's a $200/year upgrade). This opens up a lot of Encore parks for either $0/night or $20/night. I bought into it and saved $500 for a single 2-week reservation in San Francisco.

The Encore parks are typically a little better than the TT parks but not by much.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:39 PM   #32
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
The rates for Encore parks are equal to or higher than surrounding parks. I find their cost with the 20% off still to be higher than I like to pay.

For Florida and Arizona, look at the Trails Collection (it's a $200/year upgrade). This opens up a lot of Encore parks for either $0/night or $20/night. I bought into it and saved $500 for a single 2-week reservation in San Francisco.

The Encore parks are typically a little better than the TT parks but not by much.
But their pictures in the magazine look SO inviting! We saw this upgrade, but for us, who have never stayed in an Encore did not make sense.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 11-20-2017, 03:50 PM   #33
Always Learning

Quote:
But their pictures in the magazine look SO inviting! We saw this upgrade, but for us, who have never stayed in an Encore did not make sense.
I specifically avoided Encore parks as I always thought the cost was high. With the Trails Collection, it opened up a crap ton of more parks. I'll now go to them because the price is right.

I'm a whole lot like you- as long as I have somewhere to plug in and stable/quality electric, I'm happy.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:55 PM   #34
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I specifically avoided Encore parks as I always thought the cost was high. With the Trails Collection, it opened up a crap ton of more parks. I'll now go to them because the price is right.

I'm a whole lot like you- as long as I have somewhere to plug in and stable/quality electric, I'm happy.
Amen to that! And even if the power isn't so good... I have two geni's!

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 11-20-2017, 04:04 PM   #35
Always Learning

Quote:
Amen to that! And even if the power isn't so good... I have two geni's!
Me too........................................... NOW!

Actually, before that- the Autoformer voltage booster came in handy twice now. I'll fire up the generator if I have to- but if I need A/C and the park's voltage is so bad that I can't run it overnight, I'll raise a stink and move on down the road.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:30 PM   #36

Quote:

I believe Doc is wrong on this unless each TT Park has their own rules on reservations. If you "book" a site, which I am assuming means you have a reservation for that time, you are guaranteed a spot. If someone walks in, they will put them in the overflow unless someone that has a reservation cancels and then they will give them the cancellation's site. We have done that at Lake Minden TT in CA. They were completely booked so they put us in the overflow, later in the day, they had a cancellation and they gave us that spot.

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 06:59 PM   #37

If the Encore Parks are priced around the same as the other non-Encore sites in the area, we will go there and get the 20% discount. With the caveat, if you are only staying a night or 2, check Passport America first because their discount is usually lower, (50% but usually only good for a day or 2), most of the time the Encore Parks take Passport America, at least the ones we have stayed in did.

Another feature is RPI, Resort Parks International, you can add this to your TT Membership for ~$200 a year and it gives you a lot more parks you can stay at for ~$10 a night. We use RPI quite a bit and it also paid for itself in a couple of months.

MISSION COMPLETED!
Old 11-20-2017, 07:05 PM   #38

When we were just figuring out this trip about 2 years ago, my DW looked into TT and one of the most informative write ups she found was at the RV Love Web site/Blog. In fact, she used the same broker they did. Check this out if you haven't:

https://rvlove.com/start-here/campin...ousand-trails/

MISSION COMPLETED!
Old 11-20-2017, 07:12 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by gectisme View Post
I believe Doc is wrong on this unless each TT Park has their own rules on reservations. If you "book" a site, which I am assuming means you have a reservation for that time, you are guaranteed a spot. If someone walks in, they will put them in the overflow unless someone that has a reservation cancels and then they will give them the cancellation's site. We have done that at Lake Minden TT in CA. They were completely booked so they put us in the overflow, later in the day, they had a cancellation and they gave us that spot.
When you make a reservation, you are guatenteed a site, it may be in overflow. My first year (2007) with Thousand Trails, I had a reservation at Sturbridge enroute to Bar Harbor, Me. Upon arrival, all sites were booked and I was placed in overflow. Good thing I was only scheduled to stay for 2 nights. Now from experience, I plan on arriving at campgrounds during the week (Tuesday - Thursday) as most other campers are week-enders.
cgotto1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:47 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgotto1204 View Post
When you make a reservation, you are guatenteed a site, it may be in overflow. My first year (2007) with Thousand Trails, I had a reservation at Sturbridge enroute to Bar Harbor, Me. Upon arrival, all sites were booked and I was placed in overflow. Good thing I was only scheduled to stay for 2 nights. Now from experience, I plan on arriving at campgrounds during the week (Tuesday - Thursday) as most other campers are week-enders.
I wonder if each campground has their own rules or if that has changed? In the past year we have tried to reserve a site at TT's that were full and they would not let us reserve a site but stated we could stay at the overflow.

MISSION COMPLETED!