Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2017, 01:53 PM   #41
Dryflycaster

I have a Uncle that use to wrench/own a racecar y. For many years he just flat towed it behind his 3/4 ton PU the short haul to the local track. Now he didn't have the height constraignts that this guy has but I watched him back that racecar up many times down a simialarly tight unlit driveway to his garage in the back. The whole process took anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes. If you don't think that's difficult try backing up a towbar connected vehicle sometime. He had a He!! of lot more patience that I will ever have.

_bill

2017 RAM 2500 Cummings Diesel
2017 Forest River Avenger 27DBS
dryflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:10 PM   #42

My apologies for not being responsive on this thread

This is a 2 year old thread, and maybe it is not appropriate to resurrect it.

But I am replying, to apologize for not participating in the discussion 2 years ago, as I said that I would (the video in the OP link was made by me, backing in my 5th wheel trailer). I am not the type who actively participates in any forums.

But I am willing to step up and be more involved here. Instead of continuing the discussion in this old thread, maybe I should start a new thread on this topic?
nwsisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:20 PM   #43

You are wearing us out with these constant thread posting! Just kidding. Lol
Nothing wrong with posting on the old thread if it is a continuation, but you usually get better responses with a new thread.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 12:20 PM   #44

I probably can't start a new thread with links since I have so few posts

So I think I will just respond in this thread since this is where all the discussion is anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
You are wearing us out with these constant thread posting! Just kidding. Lol
Nothing wrong with posting on the old thread if it is a continuation, but you usually get better responses with a new thread.
Old 08-27-2019, 12:42 PM   #45

Here is response to most of the questions and comments about the video

I failed to respond to the comments 2 years ago, so I am hoping this reply will remedy my lapse (I tried to start a new thread but I assume it wasn't approved due to the link, and me having only a few posts here, and I am OK with that).

The reason I back up my trailer in such a tight spot is that:
- It is not that difficult.
- I don’t have to pay RV storage fees.
- My RV is in my own yard, making it easier to maintain.
- Our kids used to have friends over for sleepovers.
- We use it as a guest house when we have visitors staying with us.

The video quality is not the greatest, since I am not a pro videographer.
My accent is hard to understand because I am originally from Finland, and English is my 2nd foreign language (Finnish is my mother tongue, and Swedish my 1st foreign language).
The music choice in the video isn’t the greatest, again, I am not good at making these videos.

I would love to cut off that overhang, but my wife wouldn’t be happy about that, at all!

We camp only a few times a year, so no big deal taking the trailer out and backing it in. I usually take it out front a day or two before heading out, for washing, loading, etc…

When we get back, we unload the trailer before I back it in.
Once it’s parked behind the house, there is plenty of space to access everything, and do maintenance, except, I can’t fully roll out the awning. The slide-out is facing the yard, not the fence.

I have been doing this for over 12 years now, including the last two years, since I made this video. I still haven’t damaged the trailer, nor the house. Only thing was, as I mentioned in the video, backing into neighbors fence once, because I was too tired.

I can’t leave it parked in front, since my driveway is 25 feet, but the trailer is 30 feet.

It takes maybe ½ hour to back it in, but I don’t mind.

Before we bought the trailer, I made a small 3D paper model, with properly placed axles, and made a drawing of the space on the side of the house, and based on that experiment, figured that this is doable. I did have the cable company move their utility box a couple feet. If they wouldn’t have done that, I am not sure this would have worked.

I prefer doing this all by myself, because with these tight margins, I don’t trust anyone else, I have to check the progress myself, in order to feel confident progressing with the backing-up.

I have thought about building a permanent side ramp for proper tilt, but so far, I haven’t felt the need to do that. But it would probably make things easier.

There is no issue with wind gusts because this is next to a large house wall, so there never are any strong wind gusts there.

The neighbor owns the fence. It would be nice if he would move it or take it down, but that is not going to happen.

I do use towing mirrors when towing. I take them off when backing in my trailer. I only back a few feet, step out, take a look, and back again. The way the trailer is turning behind the truck, I can usually see the trailer vs. the house in my driver’s side mirror. But yeah, I have to step out to see how close the passenger side is to the fence.

Thanks for the welcome-to-forum wishes in this thread!

If you have any questions or comments, I will be happy to respond!

Tags
parking