Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2017, 04:20 PM   #1

Tiny House Nation

I really like the Tiny House Nation TV show, not because I want to live in one, but because I think a lot of the ideas translate naturally to camping vehicles. They really come up with some ingenious ideas for living in small spaces. While I don't have the skills to do some of these things they come up with, I'm sure a lot of you guys actually do. And some of the things they do, I'm not smart enough to even THINK of. I'm amazed.

Just wondered what you think.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 04:39 PM   #2

What I can't figure out is why anyone would want a tiny house in the first place. Get a camper. Or a small fifth wheel. Much better space. Or even better a park model. Again much better at about the same price as a custom tiny house.
Mdaniels4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 04:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdaniels4 View Post
What I can't figure out is why anyone would want a tiny house in the first place. Get a camper. Or a small fifth wheel. Much better space. Or even better a park model. Again much better at about the same price as a custom tiny house.

Here is my take....
The tiny house is generally from what I have seen higher quality but too heavy to tow.

The RV is made for towing but not a high enough quality to live in day in and day out.

Many of the tiny houses are rather unique as many build their own.

Since almost no one builds their own RV there is little to nothing unique about them. Same floorplans found in multiple manufacturers and models.

https://instagram.com/pineforestcamper#
----------------------------------------
PineForestCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 05:05 PM   #4

I'm thinking it might be interesting if the camper companies employed some of the unique ideas used in tiny houses. Lots of good space-saving ideas you don't see in campers.

Old 01-07-2017, 05:21 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to B and B
They are not certified for towing and skirt the law on plumbing/electrical as depending how/where it used you might be in violation of local building codes. Not that RVIA seal is worth much some of the Tiny Homes I have seen built seem pretty shady in many areas. There was one going to tow with Hlf ton RAM then bought a used 3500 dropped the ball and went, no WD hitch or anything sway control wise.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 05:25 PM   #6

Amy watches that show, I have a couple times. It's ok but not much more than...

Many communities are writing prohibitive zoning concerning them, our township as well.

My opinion about them is similar to Mdaniels4. I cannot see the cost say a well equipped 5er or TT plus you can move the 5er or TT much more easily.

Why not just get a mobile home and be done with it?
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 06:08 PM   #7

My whole point is perhaps using some of the space-saving techniques in campers. I don't want a tiny house, don't want to tow one; just thought some of you guys might see ways to incorporate some of their ideas for use in campers. Maybe a dumb idea.

Old 01-07-2017, 06:15 PM   #8

They do not address the plumbing/water supply issues.
The show portrays they will tow the house all over.
It is fun to watch but yes, why not buy a RV?

David & Mary Button - Ithaca NY
2011 Dynaquest XL 36' Freightliner
Cummins ISC 330HP/1000TQ
dbutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 06:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
My whole point is perhaps using some of the space-saving techniques in campers. I don't want a tiny house, don't want to tow one; just thought some of you guys might see ways to incorporate some of their ideas for use in campers. Maybe a dumb idea.

I agree. Pretty innovative use of space. The ones I have seen are well built and not always affordable for the space offered. know the mfgs watch these forums and the mods people do for ideas. Who knows where else they have their eyes focused. I also don't think they are truly built to be towed any more than a mobile home is beyond getting towed to the trailer park or property it will reside on.

https://instagram.com/pineforestcamper#
----------------------------------------
PineForestCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 06:34 PM   #10

I for one applaud the folks that put out the effort to build these tiny homes. Some are not built correctly I'll agree with that, but some are really innovative in their ideas and I can see a lot of them put some real pride in there construction. After being a Full Time RVer for over 20 years now , And living in everything from a 14 foot TT to a Class A Coach I think I could see myself building and living in one if I was younger and looking for a different lifestyle than the everyday Ho Hum. JMHO.
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 06:34 PM   #11

Quote:
I don't think it a dumb idea at all. I think it smart to consider other ways of using space in campers. It's the perfect platform for this to be done.
Mdaniels4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 06:43 PM   #12

Yes, there are some pretty innovative ideas in the "tiny houses" that would work perfect in an RV or travel trailer. Maybe someday the RV manufactures will take notice.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 06:53 PM   #13
geezer with gadgets

Quote:
I don't think it a dumb idea at all. I think it smart to consider other ways of using space in campers. It's the perfect platform for this to be done.
Agree.

I was hoping to see, "Oh yea, I saw this and here's how I adopted it to my MH." Etc.

Sent from my Atari 2600
2011 Sunseeker 3170ds "Ladybug"
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee TOAD
Days camped 2015: 37; 2016: 66; 2017: 86 2018: 57 2019: 30
757Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 06:56 PM   #14

Quote:
I'm thinking it might be interesting if the camper companies employed some of the unique ideas used in tiny houses. Lots of good space-saving ideas you don't see in campers.
Name some. I'd like to see them.

Wife watches this. Even records it.

Baffles me.

I want to yell "THIS HAS BEEN THOUGHT OF"!!! LOL

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 07:20 PM   #15
Broken Toe

Quote:
There is a pecking order with the granola-eating tiny-house crowd with 'Off-Grid, composting toilet, sustainable tiny house on trailer' being at the top and normal home owner at the bottom end. Living in a RV is just above standard home ownership but still hugely looked down on, unless its a vintage airstream that you gutted and redid. Then it moves up a level or two. A lot of what you see them do is to impress their fellow tiny home devotees and not for real and practical reasons. The trend now seems to be staying under 200 square feet. I've seen where people looked at a nice 350 sqft model and complained "it too big". For what? An Keebler Elf? Like any movement, a lot of people have to prove they are more dedicated to it than the rest, and the best way to prove you are a more hard-core tiny houser is to have a smaller square footage than the next guy.

We watch those shows for ideas on our 16x16 cabin. What kills me is the idiots who have 2 or 3 kids and they want to live full time in 165 square feet. They all say the EXACT same thing "we want our lives to be more about experiences than possessions". Well guess what there SunflowerMoonbeam? you need to have some possessions to have your experiences with. I truly wish they would re-vist some of those people after a year and see how peachy that 'tiny house lifestyle' really is.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 07:36 AM   #16

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
There is a pecking order with the granola-eating tiny-house crowd with 'Off-Grid, composting toilet, sustainable tiny house on trailer' being at the top and normal home owner at the bottom end. Living in a RV is just above standard home ownership but still hugely looked down on, unless its a vintage airstream that you gutted and redid. Then it moves up a level or two. A lot of what you see them do is to impress their fellow tiny home devotees and not for real and practical reasons. The trend now seems to be staying under 200 square feet. I've seen where people looked at a nice 350 sqft model and complained "it too big". For what? An Keebler Elf? Like any movement, a lot of people have to prove they are more dedicated to it than the rest, and the best way to prove you are a more hard-core tiny houser is to have a smaller square footage than the next guy.

We watch those shows for ideas on our 16x16 cabin. What kills me is the idiots who have 2 or 3 kids and they want to live full time in 165 square feet. They all say the EXACT same thing "we want our lives to be more about experiences than possessions". Well guess what there SunflowerMoonbeam? you need to have some possessions to have your experiences with. I truly wish they would re-vist some of those people after a year and see how peachy that 'tiny house lifestyle' really is.

Tim

X2
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:05 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post

Tim
Calling the folks that choose the Tiny House lifestyle "Idiots" is not cool or grownup. I've yet to see anyone on the show call folks that live in RV's
petty names. It's all about what makes you happy and fulfills your life. JMHO.
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:26 AM   #18

i really like the show as you see some really great ideas that can be converted to a TT if your a mod kinda person, and some of them would be great for a single person. I truly love my DW of 25 years but i'm afraid that she would kill me after a year or so living 24/7 in 195 square ft or less
rp53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:33 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp53 View Post
i really like the show as you see some really great ideas that can be converted to a TT if your a mod kinda person, and some of them would be great for a single person. I truly love my DW of 25 years but i'm afraid that she would kill me after a year or so living 24/7 in 195 square ft or less
Same here for me
Old 01-08-2017, 08:33 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
X2
What can you really say.. It's the boob tube.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote