Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2013, 04:03 PM   #1

Tips on selling your RV?

Anyone have good ideas on how to sell your old RV for the best dollar and the quickest? Is Craigslist about a good as it gets these days? We have thought about consigning on a dealer's lot but don't know a lot about it.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:25 PM   #2
Site Team

My sister-in-law placed an ad for the fifth wheel (& truck) on CL and the 534 was sold in less than a week while the truck took a couple of weeks. Good pictures (without clutter) can help but price is a big factor. Her fifth wheel was only 3 years old and she tossed in some goodies which sweeten the deal.

Listing on CL is worth a try but would recommend exploring other options as well. Once you have determine your bottom price you might have a better idea of which method(s) would be best for you.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:41 PM   #3

I agree CL is probably the best tool. Make sure to have everything clean and take pictures of all 4 sides outside with awning out and in if you have an awning. Take bright clear clean pics of the entire interior. The more pics the better. In the description add whatever extras you may be leaving with the camper, and offer N entire walk through with the buyer which many sellers won't do. Most campers are sold within a week or two of being listed.

also, make sure to ask a few hundred more than your rock bottom price. Most buyers want to negotiate so that leaves you some wiggle room.
FloridaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:49 PM   #4

I would add have any/all service records ready too for the potential buyer to see , i.e. last time wheel bearings were inspected and repacked, last time brakes were inspected, when did you replace the battery, etc. Also a list of things/mods have you added that weren't included when you bought it.
Wiscampsin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:08 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

It's a tough time of the year to be selling your camper fast. We sold our previous TT in early November after being listed for a month. I was worried that if it didn't sell by mid November, I'd be trying to sell it in the spring.

Buying interest will warm up along with the weather.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:07 PM   #6
jdadoug

Buying on Craigslist

I have had excellent results on CL......... bought two campers and sold one on CL. Then sold my cycle and trailer to pay for the 5er on CL.
I agree on the good picts and be ready to dicker on the price. Also have it dewinterized to show that everything works..........shower, furnace,hot water,AC,awning,slides,TV,stove,microwave,antenna ect. You might also point out new tires, maintence,clean roof, any damage, all lights working,
any accessories, all the manuals and paperwork................ you get the picture. jdadoug
Old 02-17-2013, 06:09 PM   #7

I bought and sold my pop-up on CL and bought my TT on CL. Most likely will sell it on CL too.
cstover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:46 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Have you thought of listing it on Kijiji...I've had success selling through their web site and it's free.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:43 PM   #9

CL is a great way to go, I sold two sets of tires from my camper and my truck in less then three days, our frist camper in a week (in 2005). i have sold a lot stuff over the years, but as suggested it must look nice and clean, priced right and it's best if you can add in a few goodies if possible, everyone is looking for a deal.....
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:50 PM   #10

I have also had stuff on for a while and no bites. Reposted and gone that day.
cstover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:08 PM   #11
Senior Moment

Just sold my Outback tt using RV Trader, sold in 3 days, Had it posted on c.list for 3 weeks prior to that, kept updating to keep ad up top.. Usually have great luck on c.list. but these buyers were looking at RV Trader.. Find as many places as possible to advertise.

Good luck
rockport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:11 AM   #12

Sold my popup in 1 week last October on CL. I was gonna wait until this spring to list it but my BIL said I should go ahead. We had cleaned it up and took care of a few issues. First person to contact me about it bought it.
grege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:16 PM   #13

I sold my previous TT on CL within a week. Heres a lil tip for constructing a good ad on CL. Sign yourself up on a photsharing website such as Photobucket. It will host photographs for you free of charge. I took about 40 pictures of my TT from inside out you cant have too many pictures! Anyway when you have all your pics include a link to your photosharing website in the CL add. You can finish the ad with something like "For many more pictures click on the link below". When they click it they have access to all the pcitures you uploaded to your photosharing account. The people who bought my previous TT loved the amount of pictures they had access to when they originally viewed the ad. Good Luck!
Nights camped in 2014 = 19
(2013 = 36)
(2012 = 42)
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:26 PM   #14

Watch out for scammers. If they are willing to pay full price without looking at it, it's going to be some kind of a scam.
wayne anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:41 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne anthony View Post
Watch out for scammers. If they are willing to pay full price without looking at it, it's going to be some kind of a scam.
So true. Watch out for "overpayment" and an offer to let you keep a little extra for your troubles. I ran into a scammer when I was selling my truck mirrors but refused to fall into that trap.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:22 PM   #16

Craigslist is the way to go for us....we sold the travel trailer, motorhome, several cars and trailers with fast success. Photos are a must as well as having a reasonable price and a clean uncluttered non smelly unit when showing it.

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:45 PM   #17

As mention above, watch out for scammers, I have a Reese WD and sway control tow system on CL, and we had an e-mail show up wanting us to hold the Reese hitch and that this person owns a moving company and he was going to pay $50.00 more for us to hold it until his company could pick up the hitch so he wanted all of our info, as far as payment he was going to send a cashies check, now get this......He said he is not able to speak so we need to use e-mails this person contacted us 2 times, then we replied "CASH ONLY" and the exchange would be face to face, are you still interested?.....Needless to say we have not heard another word.

I had the samething happen with a big screen tv, but the lady wanted me to ship it to Germany and she was going to send me a check....I am telling you, watch yourself this world is full of nuts and scammers.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:57 PM   #18

We had that scam once too where the buyer was going to send someone else by to pick it up and pay more for it. Right...

My wife has been posting a few household things on CL lately using a live mail address. Now she is constantly getting phishing emails with a sexual overtone. She can't get rid of them for anything. All she can do is keep reporting to CL.

Anyway, we have just sold our old TT! My BIL offered to buy it. He lives 1/2 a province away but saw it when he visited last year so he knows it. He has been searching around for something similar and found that ours suits his needs and that it is a pretty danged good price for what it is and considering we spent around $3K in mods/improvements.

Now looking at new ones around 29' with a slide. It sure will be nice to have a bunch more circulation space, kitchen counter space and a larger bathroom.