Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2019, 03:07 PM   #1

Tire pressure please

Hi, I get conflicting advice as to the proper tire pressure for my 2005 Lexington210, 23', 10000 lb (+-), 16" tires.
Cold pressure on tires say 80 tire dealer says 90 some say the inner and outer duels should be different. HELP
KEN
We are finally hitting the road (for the first time) next week for the Oklahoma rally and only the tire pressure is the open issue.
Hetken1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 03:21 PM   #2
clr

Tire pressure on the same axle need to be the same for each tire on that axle, that also includes the inner tire in a dual tire arrangement.
As to the proper tire pressure I would assume that the placard on the door post for the chassis mrf. is the minimum pressure that should be used.
The maximum tire pressure on the side of the tire is the maximum tire pressure to be set with the tire COLD. I would use this number as the maximum pressure that should be used.
That should give you an acceptable pressure range for the tire. I would then have the unit weighted and determine the weight per axle. Divide the axle weight by the number of tires on that axle, that will be the weight per tire. Then go the tire manufacturers table for your type, and size tire. You will see that the weight carrying capacity of the tire goes up as the tire pressure goes up. I would suggest that you need a 10% additional safety margin for each tire. Go to the chart and see what pressure is required for 110 % of your weight, that is where I would set the cold tire pressure.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 03:31 PM   #3

[QUOTE=Hetken1;2193966]Hi, I get conflicting advice as to the proper tire pressure for my 2005 Lexington210, 23', 10000 lb (+-), 16" tires.
Cold pressure on tires say 80 tire dealer says 90 some say the inner and outer duels should be different. HELP
KEN
We are finally hitting the road (for the first time) next week for the Oklahoma rally and only the tire pressure is the open issue.
Old 09-30-2019, 03:32 PM   #4

p.s. tag inside unit says 60 front 65 rear
Old 09-30-2019, 05:59 PM   #5
PT Crew Member - 10/2013

After experiencing a very serous swaying event due to improperly inflated tires I would recommend, highly recommend, inflating both your trailer tires and your tow rig tires to the values stated on the trailer and vehicle placards. Based on wisdom I received from the Discount Tire manager in Mount Pleasant, Texas, I began deflating my tires from the value listed on my tires (80 psi on all of them). Once I got my set up traveling smoothly I realized the pressures that worked were the manufactures recommendations. Go figure.
Rick
Pilgrim49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 06:21 PM   #6

We can go back and forth on this all day long.if original tires I go by mfg. label which is usually same on tire. should be matched from factory. If tires were replaced and upgraded I go by what is on tire. I'm sure some will disagree with that....so here we go

Where ever you go there you are
grumpyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 07:01 PM   #7
clr

So you have your minimum PSI setting 60 front 65 rear. Also I will assume you have load range E tires so the tire maximum PSI is 80 PSI (this should be stamped on the side of the tire).
So depending upon the axle your tire PSI should be between 65-80 PSI rear, and 60-80 PSI front. Now you need to go to the scale and see exactly how much weight each axle is carrying. Then you can look up that number from your tire inflation chart and you will be good to go.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 09:18 PM   #8

I go by the sticker on the vehicle. The tire maker has no idea what your using the tire for! The pressure on the tire is the maximum the maker says is safe. Cars can go 200kmh doesnt mean you should do it all the time.
Just my two cents
AceCombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 10:28 PM   #9
Retired Old Fart

Sticker on the vehicle is for what the unit shipped from the factory with. Once the tires are changed out to something different, the number on the tire is the one to use.

If the cold PSI on the tire is 80, that is what you use, not 90 and the dealer tried to say. The 80 will increase as the tire is heated with road friction (this is normal and expected and figured into the tire 80psi marking).
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pressure, tire