Old 07-12-2020, 08:27 PM   #1

Tire spacing

Hello, Long time reader, first time poster. We own a 2017 rockwood 8299BS fifth wheel. Bought new in nov 17. On our last trip when we arrived at campground using same setup procedure we always use, the expandable x-chocks will only fit on the drivers side. The spacing between tires is a 1/4 inch smaller on passenger side than the driver side. Visual inspection does not give any indication of issues. The axles are dexter torflex. Has anyone heard of this and are there any corrective actions that you know of.
Thank you
Ikerd
ikerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 08:29 PM   #2
Site Team

Did you back in straight or is the RV backed in at a right (or left) angle?

You could have a separated tire, or something loose/bent/broke in the suspension.

Anyway you can post a pic

I've reported my DNA missing just in case it's found somewhere bad.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 08:52 PM   #3

My guess would be a tire issue. Could have some broken plys in the tire. Happened to me and the tire was noticeably larger than the others.
Old 07-12-2020, 09:55 PM   #4

My 2016 Flagstaff has some play around the bolt areas of the axle mounts. You could loosen the bolts and move the axles just a little bit. The small amount of both front and rear might equal 1/4". The other possibility is that if you turned sharp before parking the camper the tire flex could cause the problem.
bigmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 11:47 PM   #5

I think you need new tires. I had the same issue last year during my last camping spot on my 2016 crusader. Went to put my xchocks between the wheels, drivers side no problem, but couldn't get them between the tires on the passenger side. Got her home and parked for the winter. This past spring I bought 5 new tires for her. All is good now. Belts were letting go on one of the passenger side tires. I went from a 10 ply to a 14 ply tire, haven't towed anywhere except from the tire shop to home so don't know how they are going to perform. Doesn't look like I'm going to get out now at all this year. Sad face
rocksolid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 05:15 AM   #6

Tire spacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikerd View Post
Hello, Long time reader, first time poster. We own a 2017 rockwood 8299BS fifth wheel. Bought new in nov 17. On our last trip when we arrived at campground using same setup procedure we always use, the expandable x-chocks will only fit on the drivers side. The spacing between tires is a 1/4 inch smaller on passenger side than the driver side. Visual inspection does not give any indication of issues. The axles are dexter torflex. Has anyone heard of this and are there any corrective actions that you know of.

Thank you

Ikerd

I just had the same problem. Long story short, a tire had split, causing the tire to expand in the center of the tire. I purchased a set of GY Endurance tires.
Old 07-13-2020, 07:10 AM   #7

The camper was as straight as souls be backing in. We are home now and it is in the driveway which is straight and reasonably level as well. The tires starting to let go from the inside could most definitely be a factor although not visible to the eye. I have had a tire let go before and I still am on the original Castle Rock CB that came with the trailer. Changing out to something better is on my list of things to do. As far as the bolt holes being oversized. My next try is to jack up the camper and get all 4 tires off the ground so I can try and reset the spacing. Thank you all for your years of insight and advice to a total stranger. Sometimes I think Campers/RVers could solve all the worlds problems. I will be sure to post the solution to my rig when I get there.
ikerd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire