Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2017, 08:05 PM   #1

Tire weight help

We are looking to purchase a Cardinal 3825FL in the near future. A limiting factor is the tires. The unit we're looking at has Goodyear G rated tires with 7000 lb axles.
The dry weight is 14960lbs only leaving us 1053 lbs for cargo. By the time we ad our washer and dryer and water on board I won't be able to carry a pair of socks.
My question, is there a heavier rated tire in the 235/85/16 or do I need to go up to a bigger tire?
What are the opinions on this? My wife really loves this unit and I don't want to tell her no if I can find a way to increase the CCW.
Thanks everyone.
Sierra360PDEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 02:33 AM   #2
Always Learning

(Sorry, I needed to recap for myself. This all says what you said.)

The FR site says the following:
- Gross trailer weight: 16,132 lbs.
- Hitch weight: 2,452 lbs.
- Dry weight: 14,037 lbs.
- Cargo carrying capacity: 2,095 lbs.

I see that you're saying the yellow sticker weight of the unit that you like is 14,960 lbs. The GVWR minus the yellow sticker weight is 1,152 lbs. (which is right near what you reported as 1,053 lbs.).

---

Taking what FR tells us is the pin weight percentage (17%), your dry pin weight of this particular unit is likely around 2,613 lbs. This means that the axles are carrying 12,347 lbs. Unfortunately, without weighing the wheels individually- you have no way of knowing what each wheel is carrying; there can be large discrepancies between side to side and front to back (I had up to a 400 lb. swing).

Now, here's the rub- you have no way of knowing if the tires are weak link. And, good luck getting FR to ever give you a definite ruling on why the GVWR is what it is. Is it the tires? Is it the pin box? Is it the frame itself? Is it the framing for the walls?

I know that owners of the Sierra/Sandpiper 365SAQ were eventually able to get FR to replace 6,000 lbs. axles with 7,000 lbs. axles as a warranty item when they were in a similar situation as you describe (super low cargo carrying capacity). I've heard the switch to 8,000 lbs. axles is a bigger switch than going from 6-7,000 lbs. but really don't understand the terms well enough to say either way.

It's easy for me to say (sitting in this chair in the middle of the night in my camper in sunny Florida), but I'd walk from a 43' unit with such low cargo carrying capacity.

---

Looking at tires, though- you can potentially look at the Goodyear G614 or Sailun S637 and get a jump in the tire's capacity. An even larger jump can be had by going to commercial trailer tires and jumping up to load range H or J -- I did it, you can read about it here.
Old 01-27-2017, 11:58 AM   #3

we have a 2015 cardinal 3825fl. I don't have these numbers memorized but if I remember the gvwr of ours is around 17500 lbs. the carrying capacity is around 1500 lbs. (i'd double check these numbers but the trailer is in a storage lot). it has 7K axles (lippert) and it came with goodyear g614 tires. I inflate them to 110 psi and that is sufficient to support the trailer weight (per the goodyear inflation chart). I know the carrying capacity is limited but we manage to it. one issue we had tht I hope is resolved by now is the yellow tire inflation placard. there were several posts about it. the one on the trailer is for load range e tires that say to inflate to 80 psi. the goodyear G614 are load range G that can go up to 110 psi. at 110 psi they can support 3750 lbs per goodyear.

as for the 3825fl a couple of comments. we love it! but we stay in rv parks. if you plan boondocking i would get another cup of coffee and evaluate it again. there are many smaller issues that we have learned about the trailer that i could comment on if you wish, but we really do love it and lived in it 8 months until we found our current house.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:06 PM   #4

Thansk Ependydad, I knew you upgraded your wheels and tires and I was thinking about this on the Cardinal, just need to see if they will fit.

Thanks CHICKDOE, the wife loves this unit. We always stay in either full or partial hookups and usually only carry 20 gallons of water or so for the just in case we need it scenario. The yellow placard showed proper tires and inflation. I'm going to call Cardinal next week and see what they say.
Sierra360PDEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 01:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra360PDEK View Post
We are looking to purchase a Cardinal 3825FL in the near future. A limiting factor is the tires. The unit we're looking at has Goodyear G rated tires with 7000 lb axles.
The dry weight is 14960lbs only leaving us 1053 lbs for cargo. By the time we ad our washer and dryer and water on board I won't be able to carry a pair of socks.
My question, is there a heavier rated tire in the 235/85/16 or do I need to go up to a bigger tire?
What are the opinions on this? My wife really loves this unit and I don't want to tell her no if I can find a way to increase the CCW.
Thanks everyone.
The current specs for a Cardinal 3825FL as shown on the Forest River 5th wheel web site are as follows.

GVWR = 16132#
Hitch Weight = 2452#
CCC = 2095#

When the hitch weight is deducted from the GVWR and divided by 2 it comes out to 6840# for each axle. Find your certification label - located on the LH external section of the trailer - to confirm GAWR settings at that figure. The 6840 figure suggests the trailer was earmarked for ST235/80R16E tires with an optional offer of LRG tires.

The CCC label found inside the trailer is going to tell you the true cargo capacity as it left the factory. The weight of options added by the dealer must be deducted from the original CCC label.

Since 2007 propane systems installed at the factory must become part of the GVWR, that includes the weight of full propane tanks. All water is considered cargo.

Properly inflated LRG tires that provide 3750# of load capacity at 110 PSI will provide 660# of load capacity reserves per axle for the fully loaded 6840# GAWR axles.

Tags
tire, weight