Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2020, 11:05 PM   #1
Jenga Jack R-Pod puller

Tire woes

Hello Campers,
We have a 2014 R-Pod 178 with original tires and these codes on the sidewall: M+S LT235/75R15.
Upon inspection I noticed a “vertical slit or crack on the sidewall near the tread. The Pod has been sitting outside, tires shaded, unmoved, on gravel since November 2019 until now, 5/27/2020.

I’m looking for some advice and some answers:
- I assume this is no longer safe, can’t repaired, and should be replaced. True?
- Can I replace it with the original spare of same size but has never been used?
- If all tires should be replaced, any recommendations? I want to avoid “china bomb” tires that so many trailer people have complained about.
- Are tire chain-stores equipped/trained to properly lift the Pod to change a tire?

I’ll try and attach a photo showing the tire slit, but in the past I haven’t had much success.Thanks in advance for your help!
Jack
Attached Images

Jenga Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 11:49 PM   #2

6 years is the max you would ever want to keep tires. Time for new ones. Look at maxxis or Goodyear endurance
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 12:47 AM   #3

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=11

Above is a guide to determining how old your tires are before you go replacing them. You don't say if you bought the camper recently (and the tires may not be the originals) or you're the original owner and they are.

If you determine they are older than you like (I use 5 years from date of manufacture as my personal cutoff), babcock has you on the right path as Maxxis and Goodyear Endurance are two of the most recommended tires for RV's from people on these forums and others. And yes, Most tire stores are well versed but ask specifically and review your specific jacking instructions for your camper with them.

I’m looking for some advice and some answers:
- I assume this is no longer safe, can’t repaired, and should be replaced. True? Yes, TRUE

- Can I replace it with the original spare of same size but has never been used? If the tires are not too old, then yes!

- If all tires should be replaced, any recommendations? I want to avoid “china bomb” tires that so many trailer people have complained about. See Babcocks post.

- Are tire chain-stores equipped/trained to properly lift the Pod to change a tire?
Old 05-28-2020, 04:01 AM   #4

The first thing I did when I bought my two trailers was to switch over to Goodyear Endurance tires. I learned my lesson the hard way when it comes to China bomb tires. I've had zero issues with the Goodyear tires.

I know a lot of people recommend LT tires for trailers, but that "LT" stands for light truck. Those tires were not designed for trailer use, they were designed for light trucks. ST tires are designed for trailer use and have a much stiffer sidewall, which is what you want, especially if you have a two axle trailer, which I know your R-Pod isn't. Even though my KZ is a single axle trailer, I still went with the Goodyear Endurance.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 01:49 AM   #5

I doubt that those LT tires came on the trailer.

I suspect your vehicle certification label lists ST205/75R15 LRD as being the OE size.

NOTE: Tire industry standards dictate that replacement tires need to support the load capacity the OE tires supported.
Old 05-29-2020, 01:01 PM   #6

LT tire have a slightly lower load range. You will need to upsize a load range to be equal to present specs...
mfMcFroggierPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 01:05 PM   #7

LT tires do not come OEM on trailers of the size you have... only ST tires which stands for Special Trailer... LT stands for Light Truck

Put on new tires from a 2014 trailer and be done with it... Goodyear Endurance made in US of A is the way many people are going...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 02:00 PM   #8
Jenga Jack R-Pod puller

R-Pod tire specs

I checked the"official sticker" on the side of trailer that lists all specifications for the 2014 R-Pod Forest River Edition and for tire specs it reads LT 235/75 R15. So the tires are original.

Unfortunately, the nearest Goodyear tire center is 4 hours away. There is a reputable tire center in town that has ST tires. They recommended ST 225/75 R15 at about $120 each for everything.

If the spare is in good shape, I'll replace bad one and limp along until next season. With Covid-19 we don't plan any trips longer than 50 miles one-way. Fingers crossed...
Old 05-29-2020, 04:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenga Jack View Post
I checked the"official sticker" on the side of trailer that lists all specifications for the 2014 R-Pod Forest River Edition and for tire specs it reads LT 235/75 R15. So the tires are original.

Unfortunately, the nearest Goodyear tire center is 4 hours away. There is a reputable tire center in town that has ST tires. They recommended ST 225/75 R15 at about $120 each for everything.

If the spare is in good shape, I'll replace bad one and limp along until next season. With Covid-19 we don't plan any trips longer than 50 miles one-way. Fingers crossed...
I don’t post without first researching what I’m going to say about something.

I looked at the following two 2014 specs for your trailer and both list the tires as being 14” ST tires. I could not find brochure information about optional tire sizes being offered for that unit.

A dealer can only change the vehicle certification label with the approval of the vehicle manufacturer. After first sale it cannot be changed.

https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2014-...rp-178-tr18300

https://www.rvguide.com/specs/forest...od/rp-178.html
Old 05-29-2020, 04:12 PM   #10

Quote:
You've done a good job of inspecting your tires and finding that slit in the tire. (I'm assuming that you mean the slit at the bottom of the picture)

There's no reason that you can't just replace that tire with the spare and limp along til the next season. That's what spare's are for. Of course, that leaves you without a spare. As long as you have a friend on speed dial to help in case of a flat.....

It's a risk and they do need to be replaced soon. I'll bet that tire store could order the size tires that you need.
Old 05-29-2020, 04:41 PM   #11

Not unheard of that people replace ST tires with LT tires, and I have heard of larger trailers like 5th wheels that use LT tires as OEM.

Obviously do not toss out the split tire, use that as a spare "just in case". I once was traveling in Nevada in middle of nowhere and got a bad unfixable flat. I used my spare but at first garage I got to I found a well used tire on their junk pile that they mounted on spare rim and hoped I would not need it until I got to a BIG town and purchase new. This was way back in 1979...

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 05-29-2020, 05:18 PM   #12
Site Team

Many members ( including myself) have had good luck with Carisile tires. I would not tow my trailer with six yr old tires. The cost of repairing damage from a blown tire usually is higher than the cost of replacing them, not to mention the peace of mind. If you are concerned about the dealer lifting the TT, you can raise one side remove tires and have them replaced then do the other side. Many times this gives you more options for tire dealers.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 06:46 PM   #13
Jenga Jack R-Pod puller

I don't doubt anyone's research, but here's what the specs decal reads (photo attached, you may have to zoom in to read)
I've decided to replace two tires with ST that have a "D" rating, as many have suggested. I'm reminded of an old commercial with the quote something like "...you can pay me know or pay me more later..." Call it $200 piece of mind.

Thank you all for all the advice.
Stay safe, stay healthy and happy camping!
Attached Images

Old 06-01-2020, 05:14 PM   #14
Jenga Jack R-Pod puller

Hello Airdale,
Any idea why all Forest River specifications of tires say 205/75 R14, yet as you can see from my trailers spec decal it reads LT 235/75 R15 (spare is same size)? Factory upgrade?
Forgot to mention that mine is a Hood River Edition.
Jack
Old 06-01-2020, 05:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Hello Airdale,
Any idea why all Forest River specifications of tires say 205/75 R14, yet as you can see from my trailers spec decal it reads LT 235/75 R15 (spare is same size)? Factory upgrade?
Jack
Does the information on the federal certification label match the information on that tire and load sticker?
Old 06-01-2020, 06:01 PM   #16

Quote:
Factory upgrade?
You refer to this as a factory tire upgrade...
here are two posted sources that do not seem to agree that you got an upgrade...

perhaps you just got the wrong sticker...

https://www.etrailer.com/question-329237.html

https://www.fateunbound.com/trailer-...%20the%20tire.

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 06-01-2020, 06:15 PM   #17

Quote:

You don't need to go to a Goodyear tire store to buy Goodyear tires. In fact I bought my Goodyear Endurance tires from a "No Brand" tire store.

You can always order from an online source like Tire Rack and have them mounted at a local tire store. Tire Rack often has a list of dealers in an area that will mount them for you. Yes, you will have to pay the local store for the service but the process is quick and usually not to expensive. Definitely less than a long drive with time and fuel factored in.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 06:18 PM   #18

Quote:
Hello Airdale,
Any idea why all Forest River specifications of tires say 205/75 R14, yet as you can see from my trailers spec decal it reads LT 235/75 R15 (spare is same size)? Factory upgrade? The trailer manufacturer may have numerous reasons for a last minute change in tire size designation. Usually its about money or load capacity or even both.
Jack
Brochure information is not bound by regulations.

The regulation that the trailer manufacturer MUST insure is correct is the information on the federal certification label at the time of first sale. The one for tires is very specific and reads something like this: At the time of first sale, the tires on the vehicle MUST be the same designated size as the size shown on the vehicle certification label. (Brands are not a consideration, just designated size).
Old 06-01-2020, 06:33 PM   #19

Just installed Sailuns on my toy hauler, these things are bullet proof.
Old 06-01-2020, 10:28 PM   #20
Jenga Jack R-Pod puller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
Does the information on the federal certification label match the information on that tire and load sticker?

Yes, both match.

Tags
tire