Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2016, 08:46 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiancrew View Post
Did you say 2008 Forester? And the tires are 5 years older than that? That would mean the tires are 13 years old.
Exactly!!! And the salesman said the dealership would never let a unit leave the lot with unsafe tires?? I WILL be calling him today! Doubtful that it will help, but he is getting a piece of what's left of my mind this morning. Actually wondering if they turned the DOT info to the inside intentionally
MargiLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 09:05 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargiLou View Post
I may be posting in the wrong place, but here goes. When we bought our used 2008 Forester, we were told that the cracking on the sides of the Michelin tires was "cosmetic". Also, being dumb newbies, we had no idea that the tires were 5 years older than the RV. A new acquaintance, an RV repairman, just noticed our tires and said the cracking is a precursor to a blowout. We are worried and would appreciate any advice or insight.
If those tires were on your car or truck and looked like that what would you think? Would you jump in and take off on a 500 mile trip?
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 09:09 AM   #23

You would think not. However, I was told it was a cosmetic issue that happens with Michelin's. I - obviously - know very little about tires and bought the story. Lesson learned...research, research, research.
Old 11-18-2016, 09:15 AM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Exactly!!! And the salesman said the dealership would never let a unit leave the lot with unsafe tires?? I WILL be calling him today! Doubtful that it will help, but he is getting a piece of what's left of my mind this morning. Actually wondering if they turned the DOT info to the inside intentionally
It's a little early to know exactly how old the tires really are, since the complete DOT designation has been established being on the opposite sidewall of the outboard rear tire, that can't be easily read.

Many tire dealers mount the complete DOT designation facing up, when mounting a tire on the wheel. The thing about dual wheels, is the outboard tire/wheel assembly on the rear is actually flipped opposite to how it was when being mounted. In other words, the outside rear tires, are backwards to the inside rear wheels and/or front wheels. So if the tire mounter installed all the tires the same...the outboard rear tires/wheels will be opposite to the other four on the vehicle.

Once MargiLou gets some new tires installed, then the complete DOT designation will be easily ascertained, and we can find out really how old the tires are, instead of speculating.

And to also answer another question in this same post, I do like Michelin tires, and they are one of the premium brands.

Even if the tires turn out to OE tires and are 2007 or 2008 models, they need to be replaced being 8-10 years old irregardless.

I'm betting the tires are old, but I have seen tires look this bad too from chemicals people put on their tires to make them shine. I kinda preach against doing that.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 11:54 AM   #25

I have had good luck with my Maxxis tires.
Old 11-18-2016, 01:31 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankG View Post
When replacing, make sure you get the proper sized tires for trailer use.

Good Luck
Since you said Forester I'm going to assume it's a class C motorhome and not a trailer so please don't put trailer tires on your MH.
2015 Harley CVO StreetGlide
Funhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 01:54 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funhaus View Post
Since you said Forester I'm going to assume it's a class C motorhome and not a trailer so please don't put trailer tires on your MH.
Thank you, and yes it is a Class C. A relative assures me that the Discount Tire people will insure that we get the correct tires. I hope he is right.
Old 11-18-2016, 02:11 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Thank you, and yes it is a Class C. A relative assures me that the Discount Tire people will insure that we get the correct tires. I hope he is right.
There shouldn't be much danger of a professional tire store (and/or national chain) placing ST tires on a Class C motorhome.

Of course, you never know for sure.

I'm thinking your Forester perhaps runs LT 225/75R16 tires as that is the most common size for these units.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 11-18-2016, 03:48 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funhaus View Post
Thanks for the correction.
2017 Laredo 325RL Sold
2016 Vengeance 29V Sold
1970 Yellowstone Used as down payment for first house
FrankG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 06:15 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankG View Post
Thanks for the correction.
Your welcome, and I hope you didn't take it wrong.
Assuming the OP was a relative NOOB I didn't want them to get confused.
2015 Harley CVO StreetGlide
Funhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 01:34 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
It's a little early to know exactly how old the tires really are, since the complete DOT designation has been established being on the opposite sidewall of the outboard rear tire, that can't be easily read.

Many tire dealers mount the complete DOT designation facing up, when mounting a tire on the wheel. The thing about dual wheels, is the outboard tire/wheel assembly on the rear is actually flipped opposite to how it was when being mounted. In other words, the outside rear tires, are backwards to the inside rear wheels and/or front wheels. So if the tire mounter installed all the tires the same...the outboard rear tires/wheels will be opposite to the other four on the vehicle.

Once MargiLou gets some new tires installed, then the complete DOT designation will be easily ascertained, and we can find out really how old the tires are, instead of speculating.

And to also answer another question in this same post, I do like Michelin tires, and they are one of the premium brands.

Even if the tires turn out to OE tires and are 2007 or 2008 models, they need to be replaced being 8-10 years old irregardless.

I'm betting the tires are old, but I have seen tires look this bad too from chemicals people put on their tires to make them shine. I kinda preach against doing that.
Just wanted to let you know we now have FOUR new BF Goodrich All Season Commercial tires on the rear That's what is on the front and those are less than 2 years old The Michelin's were 37th week of 2007.
Old 12-04-2016, 06:33 PM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
Just wanted to let you know we now have FOUR new BF Goodrich All Season Commercial tires on the rear That's what is on the front and those are less than 2 years old The Michelin's were 37th week of 2007.
Excellent, and thanks for the update. You should be good to go now.

Tags
tire, tires