Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2021, 03:46 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Pun View Post
On our last trip (to Carolina Beach State Park) my wife had to go by ambulance to the ER. (They ended up removing a badly infected gallbladder. She's fine now - coming home from rehab this week.)
When the ambulance got to the campsite, the park ranger was right behind. She looked at Biff - our 9yo pitweiler (rotweiler/pitbull mix) and said "You know, state park rules don't allow animals to be left unattended at the campsite." I replied "yeah, but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be welcome at the ER." She thought about it for a minute, walked over to him where she was greeted with a very wagging tail, and said "How about if I put him in my truck? He can ride patrol with me until you get back." That worked out great.
Of course, when the ambulance first pulled up, he REALLY announced his presence. But calmed right down when I told him it was OK. Next day, the ranger assured me that, based on his disposition, she and her fellow rangers would not object to my leaving him while i visited my wife in the hospital.
Super staff - very understanding of the situation. And I'm very glad that Biff announces his presence and then calms down on command! He lets out a bark or two when fellow campers walk by with their dogs, and when anyone other than my wife and I come into the campsite itself. But other than that he's content to demonstrate how to be lazy.

Biff is one good looking Puppy
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2021, 03:54 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
My non-human travel companion has feathers instead of fur but I love her all the same. Instead of barking, she will belt out obscenities like a crusty old sailor.
I had a cockatoo that could shout louder than me and if she wanted attention she would yell ”help me, help me, I love you “ and sounded just like my ex wife. Needless to say after the first visit from the police she stayed home!
Having lots of Fun traveling with my wife
old40ford is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2021, 03:58 PM   #23

Our Boxer Sadie RIP rarely barked but when she did you knew something was wrong.......... she loved camping. Lilly is usually quiet too.

The campground we normally go to rarely enforces barking issues............. I must say though, barking dogs rarely bother me. Why let it. No need to ruin your trip over it. Life is too short.

We go camping to get any from peace and quiet.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2021, 04:07 PM   #24
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Thing that gets me is, it takes someone having to say something to these people. Total lack of self-awareness.
Kris... respect, common courtesy and common sense is no longer a language many today speak.

Our dogs (all resting over the Rainbow bridge now) were taught not to bark once told. Today, folks just don't care.

I love dogs but I will turn every one of you in that let your dogs bark non-stop.
It's not the dog I have a vendetta with, it's the owners.

Days Camped: '17=38 '18=49 '19=58 '20=110 '21=116 '22=19
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2021, 08:13 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Kris... respect, common courtesy and common sense is no longer a language many today speak.

Our dogs (all resting over the Rainbow bridge now) were taught not to bark once told. Today, folks just don't care.

I love dogs but I will turn every one of you in that let your dogs bark non-stop.

It's not the dog I have a vendetta with, it's the owners.
Dogs only behave like their owners. Often the same with children

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2021, 06:34 AM   #26
MCTroy

We have a super laid back golden retriever and a black lab that travel with us.
I try to introduce them to our camping neighbors. I also ask our neighbors to let us know if they hear any barking. That could mean something is wrong. I have business cards with our cell numbers on them. No one has ever called but I think the neighbors appreciate the offer.
At our summer site the black lab barks if any boat tries to tie up to our dock. She wants a boat ride! But it keeps folks off a dock where they don't belong.
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2021, 02:19 PM   #27

Fur babies

Good looking dog.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2021, 04:34 PM   #28

Unhappy To Bark or not to Bark

During the day, I am much more tolerant of barking dogs. I travel with 2 dogs, one old lab mix (she's 13 now) and chill, and one heinz 57, younger and busier. The young one generally barks at other dogs, she's a good girl, just protective of the Giant Crate (aka camper). I have yelled out the window at midnite, at a family that was leaving their dog tied out all night. Everytime I was almost asleep, he saw something and barked. Poor thing...but the owners did get him inside after I yelled.

The other dog issue I have, is folks who think their dog is so well behaved there is no need to leash. My young dog is "reactive" to other dogs. I don't always know what her response will be, so I watch for other dogs and avoid that path if I can, but folks who think their unleashed dog is coming over "just to say Hi" put my dog and theirs in jeopardy. Just this week, an old golden retriever, not leashed, was coming for us. Slowly, but still coming. Owner had 2 dogs, the other one was leashed. Had that dog got to us, it could have been a terrible situation, and I would feel awful even though MY dog was leashed and with me.

For those folks who don't leash: Your dog probably is very nice, and I would love to say hi, but my dog is not always receptive. Sorry about the scene I might make, but I can't take the chance.
Dela is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2021, 05:30 PM   #29

Was at a Hennepin County park 3 days before the 4th. Many inconsiderate campers without dogs not on leash. Two campers down lady lets dogs rum around without tie up and constantly yelling at dog. Next camper next to me lets his 3 dogs out of the vehicle and all 3 take a crap near our windows and owner cleaning up nothing. Two other sites across from us same with their dogs. On other side of me a a kid with a loud toy? leaf blower. Kid tossing ball or frisbee right out our window hitting our RV but has a ½ acre all cut grass in back of their camper. Others bring dogs running around and bark, bark, bark. Rules and camping rental space agreements mean nothing to these people and the county staff enforce nothing. Other places in MN it is the same with barking dogs. Another place I just changed to clean clothes walking with my wife when another person with a dog walking in mud jumps up on us. Some people show no consideration or respect to anyone else. Many owners train their dogs but the ones that don't deserve a camping hell experience camping next to a kennel.
Old 07-16-2021, 07:44 PM   #30

Wink To Bark or not to Bark

That sounds like an awful experience. I work to keep my dogs away from people because not everyone likes dogs, and some folks are downright fearful of dogs. I'd put a picture here of my 2 girls, but I have no clue how to do it- so picture one black dog, and one brown dog- and you get the idea
Dela is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2021, 09:30 AM   #31

Traveling with pets

You mentioned in a recent post that you travel with bird/s. We are wondering what type of birds you have and any special precautions you take for the bird's safety. We are concerned about any chemicals or odors in the camper. Do we need to do anything special?

Thanks for your help!
Iowa City Fix It is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2021, 10:55 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob2019 View Post
Was at a Hennepin County park 3 days before the 4th. Many inconsiderate campers without dogs not on leash. Two campers down lady lets dogs rum around without tie up and constantly yelling at dog. Next camper next to me lets his 3 dogs out of the vehicle and all 3 take a crap near our windows and owner cleaning up nothing. Two other sites across from us same with their dogs. On other side of me a a kid with a loud toy? leaf blower. Kid tossing ball or frisbee right out our window hitting our RV but has a ½ acre all cut grass in back of their camper. Others bring dogs running around and bark, bark, bark. Rules and camping rental space agreements mean nothing to these people and the county staff enforce nothing. Other places in MN it is the same with barking dogs. Another place I just changed to clean clothes walking with my wife when another person with a dog walking in mud jumps up on us. Some people show no consideration or respect to anyone else. Many owners train their dogs but the ones that don't deserve a camping hell experience camping next to a kennel.
Well...you're in MN .
Old 07-19-2021, 11:04 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Our Boxer Sadie RIP rarely barked but when she did you knew something was wrong.......... she loved camping. Lilly is usually quiet too.

The campground we normally go to rarely enforces barking issues............. I must say though, barking dogs rarely bother me. Why let it. No need to ruin your trip over it. Life is too short.

We go camping to get any from peace and quiet.

I understand dogs bark. My old pup who can no longer go barks if someone approaches our territory but stops when called to. Our grandfurbaby is a mouthy teenager who loves to sass when talked to but she will stop barking when firmly called to. A dog that barks at something or someone near them is not what I was talking about. It's the dog that once outside the camper begins to bark and does not stop and it's owners sit there laughing and talking, ignoring the dog and turning their vocal volume up to be heard over the dog. A dog that does nothing but bark is what bothers me. Put it back inside the camper or leave it home.
momraising5boyz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2021, 11:09 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by momraising5boyz View Post
I understand dogs bark. My old pup who can no longer go barks if someone approaches our territory but stops when called to. Our grandfurbaby is a mouthy teenager who loves to sass when talked to but she will stop barking when firmly called to. A dog that barks at something or someone near them is not what I was talking about. It's the dog that once outside the camper begins to bark and does not stop and it's owners sit there laughing and talking, ignoring the dog and turning their vocal volume up to be heard over the dog. A dog that does nothing but bark is what bothers me. Put it back inside the camper or leave it home.
AMEN!
Old 07-19-2021, 05:26 PM   #35
Trailer Park Supervisor

Peace!!

Just returned from Chenango Valley State Park in NY, FROG rally. No barking dogs, no annoying kids (and there were plenty of kids, all riding bikes and a pleasure to be around), and no annoying adults. Sigh. Sometimes you get lucky!
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2021, 05:31 PM   #36

To Bark Or Not To Bark

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Just returned from Chenango Valley State Park in NY, FROG rally. No barking dogs, no annoying kids (and there were plenty of kids, all riding bikes and a pleasure to be around), and no annoying adults. Sigh. Sometimes you get lucky!

No annoying adults?
Well I wasn’t there.

Sounds like a good time.
Old 07-19-2021, 06:18 PM   #37

If I had to vote today to ban dogs from campgrounds I would vote in favor of the ban. I love dogs and cats and have had dogs and cats. I cannot tolerate the inconsiderate owners. I am tired of having to complain and most of the time it falls on deaf ears. People leave the dogs tied up outside. They go across the street where the dog can see them and the dog barks non stop. They dont pick up after them. I am sad to say the majority of dogs deserve much better humans.
Old 07-19-2021, 06:30 PM   #38

Dogs that are untrained are what is making campground camping not as nice as it use to be. I have no idea why people let dogs bark and why they dont have them on a leash. We have a small dog because he easy to clean up after, and easy to care for. He never barks and is always on a leash and never left unattended. Its gotten so bad out there that I have to carry my bear spray to protect ourselves from other unleashed aggressive dogs. I've almost had to use it twice last year and it was only because of my wife's yelling at the owners to come get there dog it was avoided. Makes for a bad camping experience.
Ruggybuggy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2021, 06:40 PM   #39

To Bark Or Not To Bark

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpocket View Post
If I had to vote today to ban dogs from campgrounds I would vote in favor of the ban. I love dogs and cats and have had dogs and cats. I cannot tolerate the inconsiderate owners. I am tired of having to complain and most of the time it falls on deaf ears. People leave the dogs tied up outside. They go across the street where the dog can see them and the dog barks non stop. They dont pick up after them. I am sad to say the majority of dogs deserve much better humans.

Not sure where you guys camp. But my experience is completely different.

However. Little yappy dogs should be banned period.

My dogs only bark if you knock on the door.

They do not bark any other time.
Old 07-19-2021, 07:09 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesptr View Post
Not sure where you guys camp. But my experience is completely different.

However. Little yappy dogs should be banned period.

My dogs only bark if you knock on the door.

They do not bark any other time.
Mostly MO state parks. I have seen little dogs that are well behaved, I like all dogs I dont discriminate . It is not a dog issue it is an owner issue. A couple of weeks ago there was a standard poodle across from us who was barking non stop. The owners came down the street and said he doesn't like to be left alone. NO KIDDING. So you're aware the dog has separation issues and you think its funny the dog barks the whole time you're gone. Call me a grumpy old man but the world has changed and not for the better.

We camp with a guy that had a golden retriever. We get the same spots every time we go. When we got there first he opened the truck door and the dog would run to me. He would sit next to me until the guy got his camper set up. He would whistle when done and the dog would go back. One time we did not go and when he got there our spot was empty. The dog kept looking at the empty spot and back at his owner like WTH is is going on . This dog did not require a leash. He worked with the dog and it did not bark or leave his side. other dogs could walk by and his dog might grumble but never bark or move.

I share that story because he had to put his dog down. He is now very vocal with dog owners who have dogs misbehave. I think there needs to be more of that. Those with dogs need to police their fellow dog owners or everyone will lose the ability to take their dogs camping.