Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2021, 07:51 PM   #41
KnP

I had dogs and cats in the past. On my experience, the problem is not with the pooch, is more about the owners per sé. Found some owners very inconsiderate and with a total lack of etiquette. For example, the other day, saw some gal in a supermarket, she let the dog take a poo on the floor. Did she bother cleaning the mess? Absolutely not, the manager and one employee cleaning the mess. Not only that, the dog crap smell lingered at the dairy section for a good while. I have seen people abusing the "Service Dog" status. Sometimes, I think the owners do that just to upset people off. We went camping for the 4th, the RVers next door they brought a big dog, like some narly, drooling, rough looking dog. That pooch was barking and howling all night. The owners, either screamed at it or ignored it; not bueno for the RVers and even the dog itself. Again, is the owners, not the dog to blame.

That kind of owner behavior is not acceptable.

When I had my dogs, we went to great extent to keep the pooches from bothering anybody else. Now days, is the other way around. Does not only happens with dogs, also with the so called "pets" too.

I know is a touchy subject, but, the pet care goes beyond the pet itself. For that reason, that is why I do not have a pooch, is too much work.
KnP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-20-2021, 06:46 AM   #42

Barking Mess

We had an old pit mix at 14 she just passed. Two years ago while building a new home, we lived in in our 35ft Bounder at a nice lakefront campground. I walked Sky in the morning and afternoon through the woods, campers and dogs came and went, barked and pooped as can be expected. For some reason people with little rat dogs don't think they have to pickup after them, but that's another story. So I carry a pooper scooper and catch Sky as she's going. This day she had the runs, so the scooper was full. As we're walking at a safe distance from one camper, I see their Budweiser commercial looking dog with the ring around his eye, start barking. He's on a wire lead. They see it, but ignore it. All of a sudden he tears off at us, the lead snaps and he's on Sky. In her hey day, she would have taken him down. The only thing I had was the pooper scooper, so after getting him off her, I smacked him with a full load and he retreated to his camper a new color and smell. I apologized as we were running away, but deep down I didn't regret it.
Dave1941 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-20-2021, 09:11 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpocket View Post
Mostly MO state parks. I have seen little dogs that are well behaved, I like all dogs I dont discriminate . It is not a dog issue it is an owner issue. A couple of weeks ago there was a standard poodle across from us who was barking non stop. The owners came down the street and said he doesn't like to be left alone. NO KIDDING. So you're aware the dog has separation issues and you think its funny the dog barks the whole time you're gone. Call me a grumpy old man but the world has changed and not for the better.

We camp with a guy that had a golden retriever. We get the same spots every time we go. When we got there first he opened the truck door and the dog would run to me. He would sit next to me until the guy got his camper set up. He would whistle when done and the dog would go back. One time we did not go and when he got there our spot was empty. The dog kept looking at the empty spot and back at his owner like WTH is is going on . This dog did not require a leash. He worked with the dog and it did not bark or leave his side. other dogs could walk by and his dog might grumble but never bark or move.

I share that story because he had to put his dog down. He is now very vocal with dog owners who have dogs misbehave. I think there needs to be more of that. Those with dogs need to police their fellow dog owners or everyone will lose the ability to take their dogs camping.

Well said.
Old 07-20-2021, 09:24 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpocket View Post
Mostly MO state parks. I have seen little dogs that are well behaved, I like all dogs I dont discriminate . It is not a dog issue it is an owner issue. A couple of weeks ago there was a standard poodle across from us who was barking non stop. The owners came down the street and said he doesn't like to be left alone. NO KIDDING. So you're aware the dog has separation issues and you think its funny the dog barks the whole time you're gone. Call me a grumpy old man but the world has changed and not for the better.

We camp with a guy that had a golden retriever. We get the same spots every time we go. When we got there first he opened the truck door and the dog would run to me. He would sit next to me until the guy got his camper set up. He would whistle when done and the dog would go back. One time we did not go and when he got there our spot was empty. The dog kept looking at the empty spot and back at his owner like WTH is is going on . This dog did not require a leash. He worked with the dog and it did not bark or leave his side. other dogs could walk by and his dog might grumble but never bark or move.

I share that story because he had to put his dog down. He is now very vocal with dog owners who have dogs misbehave. I think there needs to be more of that. Those with dogs need to police their fellow dog owners or everyone will lose the ability to take their dogs camping.

A Golden is one of the best behaved dogs there is. I have never seen on that wanted anything but attention.

I feel for his loss.

We had to put our Brittany down after 12 years and that was one of the worst days of my life. He was a rescue and was the best dog we ever had. He loved kids and anyone who walked up to him.
His only problem was with the neighbors Lab. Of course the Lab was never trained and ran loose all over the neighborhood. That was the owners fault.
gw1800 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-20-2021, 12:31 PM   #45

As an owner of three "camping" dogs, I understand the need to keep our dogs quiet. We have trained them, but if another dog starts...all bets are off. They also don't care much for kids on bicycles. We always try to get a more secluded spot and we keep a squirt bottle handy. If they don't quiet right down...squirt. It usually only takes picking up the bottle.
tmp1356 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-20-2021, 01:39 PM   #46

My post was never about wanting dogs banned from campgrounds. Furbabies are family.
Dog parents need to be aware if they bring their furbabies they need to take proper care of them and take control of behavioral issues.
I love animals. They are trusting and love unconditionally. I wish my sweet furbaby could go camping with us but his health and age just won't allow it.
momraising5boyz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2021, 08:34 AM   #47

Unfortunately, many pet "parents" are no better with their pets then with their
human kids..
1100mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2021, 11:51 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100mike View Post
Unfortunately, many pet "parents" are no better with their pets then with their
human kids..
So sad . But so true.
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2021, 11:55 AM   #49
Site Team

Moderator hat on. We have had numerous threads on this same subject that seem to bring out comments off topic or not relevant to the thread question....which one was not even asked. This is kind of a vent thread inviting more vents. If it can't be kept to pets at campgrounds the site team will have to close it .

Feel free to private message myself or any members of the site team with questions.

Thanks

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-23-2021, 03:03 AM   #50

It truly amazes me when a dog owner will sit there next to an incessantly barking dog and do nothing. Have they convinced themselves that it’s not bothersome to anyone else or do they just think it’s their right? When we are camping and the barking won’t stop, I’ll report them. If nothing is done about it, I will ask the dog owner myself. I’m uncomfortable doing it but I’d rather do it than listen to barking for my entire stay. No way that I can ignore barking.
retire057 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-23-2021, 07:13 AM   #51

I live in a neighborhood where every home is on about 3 acres. My neighbor had two German Shepards. I can actually sneeze about 150 yards away on my front porch and then the dogs start barking. People walk their dogs past that yard and the dogs go nuts. Goes on constantly now for years.

The dogs owners actually installed a screen over their fence so as to obscure the dogs view and stop them from barking. I would guess that screen cost thousands and probably thousands more then maybe some obedience training.

Worse is that the husband must wake up early say at 5:00 am and let the dogs out. Of course anything sets them off so the whole neighborhood gets woken up potentially at that time.

So I guess the people realize the problem but seem to ignore the more obvious solution which makes it all a bit more egregious.It is never the animal it is the people who own them.

My next door neighbors have 3 dogs. One is a Dachsund (Hot Dog) as many of us call them. The dog is so fat it's belly nearly rubs on the ground and it mostly can't make it up the stairs. It is so sad. We were at a party at their house recently and everybody would kind of just look at that dog in their own form of dis-belief or sorrow or what have you .

Yet another neighbor just got a Yellow Lab. It is an adorable super friendly young female who just probably needs to be loved and run around like crazy. It escapes the owners I would guess of course since it just wants to run. The lady chases after it with a piece of bacon . Guess she thinks the bacon is more important then just letting that dog get out and run like it was meant to be.

I would get a dog or cat and I have had them before but I refuse to do it unless my heart is totally into it which means not just walking them but committing to go out and play with them. They are animals and they need to just run and play and be exercised and healthy more so then even us humans.
NJBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-23-2021, 07:31 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBreeze View Post
I live in a neighborhood where every home is on about 3 acres. My neighbor had two German Shepards. I can actually sneeze about 150 yards away on my front porch and then the dogs start barking. People walk their dogs past that yard and the dogs go nuts. Goes on constantly now for years.

The dogs owners actually installed a screen over their fence so as to obscure the dogs view and stop them from barking. I would guess that screen cost thousands and probably thousands more then maybe some obedience training.

Worse is that the husband must wake up early say at 5:00 am and let the dogs out. Of course anything sets them off so the whole neighborhood gets woken up potentially at that time.

So I guess the people realize the problem but seem to ignore the more obvious solution which makes it all a bit more egregious.It is never the animal it is the people who own them.

My next door neighbors have 3 dogs. One is a Dachsund (Hot Dog) as many of us call them. The dog is so fat it's belly nearly rubs on the ground and it mostly can't make it up the stairs. It is so sad. We were at a party at their house recently and everybody would kind of just look at that dog in their own form of dis-belief or sorrow or what have you .

Yet another neighbor just got a Yellow Lab. It is an adorable super friendly young female who just probably needs to be loved and run around like crazy. It escapes the owners I would guess of course since it just wants to run. The lady chases after it with a piece of bacon . Guess she thinks the bacon is more important then just letting that dog get out and run like it was meant to be.

I would get a dog or cat and I have had them before but I refuse to do it unless my heart is totally into it which means not just walking them but committing to go out and play with them. They are animals and they need to just run and play and be exercised and healthy more so then even us humans.

The problem with a screen or solid fence is that the dogs cannot see what's on the other side. Any slight noise will set off the barking even worse. We have a neighbor that has a 6 foot wooden fence around their yard and the dogs bark constantly. It's the same as locking the dog inside the RV while they are alone. They hear the noises outside and start barking.

Our township has an ordinance against barking dogs. No more than 20 minutes. Now these people bring the dogs in after 20 minutes and 5 minutes later let them back out for another 20 minutes.
gw1800 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-23-2021, 09:12 AM   #53

We had a Golden Retriever a few years ago, we taught her to whisper as part of her regular training. My kids could rile her up and get her to bark but it was play time, not b/c she was a barker or someone came by

One very late night while tent camping, she barked one time... didn't know at the time what the animal was but boy howdy it got our attention, the next morning we found bear tracks near by

We have a neighbor now next door (house) where their dog barks non-stop the second they close the front door. Once they leave they can't hear it, we sure can. During the spring/fall, we have to close up the house b/c it just doesn't stop

A little respect people
Toy4Rick is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-23-2021, 04:52 PM   #54

Stupid Neighbors or Stupid Dogs

God Spelled Backwards. DOG
I love dogs. Big Dogs. Irish Wolfhounds. German Shepherds. Rottweilers. And one Big Old Goofy Mutt.

Had them and all were great! I took the trouble to get trained myself to train dogs. With Rotties and GSD that is almost a requirement. Besides its a lot of fun and very rewarding.

One comment about dogs at campgrounds. We only go to State Parks and COE Campgrounds. Invariably, half the dogs are off the leash. Now to their credit most of them stay with their Family. But not all. I was packing up and had Stella in the back seat. Driver door was open. A little ankle biter (sorry that is what I call them) tried to jump in the truck. I averted a near disaster at the last minute by blocking with my foot and grabbing it by the tail. Stella would not have reacted nicely. Its her turf. And guess who would have been at fault?

At the home front, my new neighbor. We live in the country. Has two Golden Retrievers. They bark when I am on my property next to the fence or 300 feet away from the fence. They bark at the War Department. Where ever she is. They bark at Stella. I can not let my dog loose on my own property because they will bark at Stella and she will react. Now Stella nd I have to walk on leash only. We have 3.3 acres all fenced. I have to walk my dog on a leash!

Those dogs bark at my neighbor when ever he and his wife drive up their driveway. Those are his dogs! They bark at him when he mows the lawn! They bark at the UPS guy when he opens their gate and delivers a package. But that is all they do. Bark! Somehow they trained the UPS guy but cant train their dogs.

Dogs or the Owners? Who is stupid??

What?
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-23-2021, 06:18 PM   #55
Trailer Park Supervisor

Undisciplined dogs are usually owned by....undisciplined dogs.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-23-2021, 06:39 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Undisciplined dogs are usually owned by....undisciplined dogs.
Sounds like something I should have said. That is good verbiage though
hshaynes is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-23-2021, 07:10 PM   #57
Tom

Lot of owners are oblivious to their dogs constantly barking. Like "Oh my dogs don't bark that much."
Seachaser186 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-26-2021, 05:03 PM   #58

We were camping this past weekend in a state park, and the neighbors across the road from us left for 4+ hours, and left their dachshund in the trailer. That dog howled and barked for most of 4 hours....which upset other dogs in the campground besides upsetting many campers. Another camper reported this to the office but don't know if anything else happened.