Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2015, 01:03 PM   #21
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Vibe View Post
The thing I don't get is why go to the trouble of putting the tp in a wast basket when you don't have too. I have yet to see someone in one of these discussions have an issue with tp if they use lots of water and wait till the tanks is at least 3/4 full before dumping.
It was the way TOWTA was raised and she continues to this day. No harm, no foul, no black tank issues. I ain't about to try to change her. She does it at home where it is totally unnecessary, but...

P.S. I will empty trash cans, BUT, I don't empty that trash can.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 01:06 PM   #22

Like Ford Idaho said do the mason jar test. I found that Angel Soft dissolved the best, that's what we use and it's cheap.
tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 01:15 PM   #23

TP

Use scott tissue. Is disolves in water. Try some in a glass and stir. Northern and charmin bulk up and can cause problems. Good luck
Rvlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 01:16 PM   #24

X2 on the Costco Kirkland brand. Have used it in the trailer and the septic system and never a problem. It breaks down very well doing the shake test in a jar of water.
Dabmeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 01:33 PM   #25

We have been using Cottonelle 2 ply most recently with no problems. Generally we use whatever the DW prefers at home, also use the GEO method for tank treatments. Almost two years with this RV and several on the previous using same paper and methods. Tank indicators work like they always have since new. Have a clear fitting at the dump valve, can see the TP flowing out like pieces of confetti
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 01:43 PM   #26

It makes no difference what paper you use. They all flush out through the black tank valve the same way. The waste and paper is not in your tank long enough to decompose, anyways.

I use the same (Costco) stuff I use at home. Never had a problem.

Bruce
Old 09-20-2015, 02:03 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
It makes no difference what paper you use. They all flush out through the black tank valve the same way. The waste and paper is not in your tank long enough to decompose, anyways.

I use the same (Costco) stuff I use at home. Never had a problem.

Bruce
But, paper that does not dissolve quickly could end up getting caught up and hanging on the level sensors. I think that is the only concern when it ones down to what kind of TP to use. I think even notebook paper thrown into the toilet once wet for a minute would flush out just fine. It's all about the sensors.

I switched to Horst sensors 2 months ago and no false readings. Didn't really have many times in the past but if I treated my tank at home before a trip the sloshing around while travel could give me a false reading when I setup camp. Not so with the Horst sensors.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 02:25 PM   #28

Only soiled TP goes down into our "black" tank......Everything else goes into a plastic grocery bag in a waste basket beside the toilet.......If you have kids that is another problem to re-educate them to RV living!!!!!!.....J
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 02:45 PM   #29
Done with this

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
P.S. I will empty trash cans, BUT, I don't empty that trash can.
Mine should be called a yellow tank. It better be one hell of an emergency if someone takes a dump in mine. "The bath house is right over there"....

I'm a little too truthful, I guess.
Y'all have fun in "Fantasy Land".
4mula1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 02:46 PM   #30
KAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jegstrup View Post
Hey folks,
Does anyone have any thoughts on tp? What's the purpose of a special rv paper, is it any better than regular toilet paper for the system?

2012 Forest River Berkshire 390FL
2013 Hyundai Veloster
I use "septic tank safe" TP from BJ's, it dissolves in no time. If that's not available, get cheap single-ply TP (from the $$ store), that works also.
On that same subject: I had to tell a guest not to use wipies after they clogged up the BW tank, duh! Just because they're "flushable" doesn't mean they disintegrate. I read an article that the sewage treatment plants are having problems with wipies clogging up their machinery. It seems the manufacturers should know this.
KAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 02:51 PM   #31

On a previous class C that I owned, I used RV TP and it still clogged my drain. Not a pretty sight to try to get that clog cleared. I still only use RV TP. I feel that for the little extra cost it is well worth it.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 03:09 PM   #32

I use Scott single ply. That is a roll that indicates 1000 sheets per roll. Using the tank treatment chemical, no problem and a lot cheaper than rv branded paper. I think the last Scott's I bought at Sam' s club was about 11-13 dollars for 48 rolls.
CTGREG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 03:12 PM   #33

Some years ago I did the jar test on the major brands. Angel Soft won.
Maggiewaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 03:20 PM   #34

Just sayin...... if u ever plug that black tank just before bedtime .... u will truly wished u had used that trash can
amaziing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 03:27 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mula1fan View Post
Mine should be called a yellow tank. It better be one hell of an emergency if someone takes a dump in mine. "The bath house is right over there"....
Curious, what don't you like about using the toilet system? Had one clog up? The thought of the black tank being so close to the living quarters? Had one go bad once and smell up the trailer?
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 03:31 PM   #36
Done with this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
Curious, what don't you like about using the toilet system? Had one clog up? The thought of the black tank being so close to the living quarters? Had one go bad once and smell up the trailer?
It sure makes it better when washing out to go home. Where we camp, the bath houses are within easy walking distance, and I've told whoever camps with us, "take a dump, you get to drain the tanks and wash out"... It's a PITA I can do without.

Old 09-20-2015, 03:33 PM   #37
Done with this

I'm a crotchety old fart...

Old 09-20-2015, 03:48 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaziing1 View Post
Just sayin...... if u ever plug that black tank just before bedtime .... u will truly wished u had used that trash can

If you are plugging the tank you are using way to much paper and no water or tank treatment.
Old 09-20-2015, 04:01 PM   #39

In all the years I have been camping I have never used the campground toilet, not even a rest area, that's what my bathroom is for. I use the same tp camping as I use at home. I have never had a real problem with my holding tanks, I just try to keep them clean and no odor

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 04:19 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
In all the years I have been camping I have never used the campground toilet, not even a rest area, that's what my bathroom is for. I use the same tp camping as I use at home. I have never had a real problem with my holding tanks, I just try to keep them clean and no odor

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
x100!!! We have had 2 TTs, a fiver, 2 Class Cs, and a Class A since 1984. Not once have we had a problem! We use one-ply tp -- usually Scott. You know it disintegrates well when you use it to wipe up hair on the wet shower floor and it falls apart. That with Campa Chem and regular black tank flushing works great!
SkipnTerri is offline   Reply With Quote