Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2008, 09:05 PM   #1

Tongue Lock

I have a 2007 Flagstaff 831BHSS. I am looking for a tongue lock to put on when in storage. Any recommended brands?
kphammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:21 PM   #2

Master Lock makes a nice one. It is harden steel just like there other pad locks with a polished chrome finish.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:09 AM   #3
Site Team

I second the Master Lock brand. Here's my favorite but there's many styles out there. Master Lock CL 378DAT Lock
Old 10-22-2008, 09:51 AM   #4
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
While I like Master brand locks...they are pretty popular and easy to 'bump' for theives.
Bump keys are very easy to obtain, and yes...even I have a set to bump Master Locks.
I can usually open a Master Lock within a minute without damaging the lock.

If you don't know what lock bumping is...Google it. (you will be surprised)

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:53 AM   #5
The Jolly Mon

Whoops...forgot to recommend!

I recommend locks that are not quite as mainstream or popular to defeat the 'bumping'.
Some new locks claim to be 'bump-proof', but I'm not sure of the claim.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:42 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I use a "Gorilla" lock.
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:41 PM   #7

take a look at these.

http://www.lifelonglocks.com/

2010 Wildcat 30LOFT
2011 RAM 3500 CCLB Cummins
HookMeUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:52 PM   #8

DARN
i never knew
good thing i spent a good bit of $$ on the main locks to the house
son of a gun thats scary
thanks for the Heads up

you get a gold star there mr.jollymon
Old 10-22-2008, 08:01 PM   #9

Some type of coupler lock is what I was looking for. This would be used during storage that I rent. It makes me nervous not having any form of deterrant on the trailer. The Flagstaff tongue is made by Atwood and it has a rolled lip on the top of it that is not parallel to the bottom. Unusual design which the local stores did not carry anything that would fit. Suggestions?
Old 10-23-2008, 04:47 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaphammer View Post
I have a 2007 Flagstaff 831BHSS. I am looking for a tongue lock to put on when in storage. Any recommended brands?
The place where you are storing your camper, do they have security cameras and is it gated storage lot?
Old 10-23-2008, 06:35 AM   #11
Site Team

Is this what your coupler looks like?

If so, you could buy a ball and cut the stud off of it and lock it in the coupler or you could buy one of these.
Tire Locks.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:14 PM   #12

The place where I store my trailer does have a gate, not sure about cameras. The link listed looks interesting with the Trimax Universal Coupler lock. I may give that a try. Thanks for all advice.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:23 AM   #13

The first pic is a coupler lock made by Master lock. This is what I used on my Fleetwood. The shank is design to be broken in two differnt places for a custom fit to the size of the latch as showen in pic #2. You will notice that there is no excess of the shank behond the block which is the lock it self. Once there is a custom fit, it makes it much harder to bend the shank because leverage is reduced. Pic #3 is the coupler that is on my Rockwood as you have, this type of coupler lock will not work on our type of coupler because the rounded end of the shank opposit the lock will not clear the edge of the coupler to allow the shank to go thought the opening of the latch, but it will work on the older type of couplers that are raised up. This a fact, the more you spend on a lock the better the lock Is, Medeco and Schlage Primus locks are of very good locks for your house. Medeco has a left, right and straight cuts on the key and Schlage Primus locks have a security bar built into the bottom of the cylinder that has to be released before the lock can be open. Bump keys are used on cheap locks thay are very basic such as Kwikset and a standard Schlage locks with internal locking mechanisms( in side of a door) as far as exposed shanks like pad locks, everyone can get a master key, it's called bolt cutters.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:26 AM   #14

Pic of a coupler lock and coupler

Pic of coupler lock and coupler
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1999.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	1143   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1998.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	1144   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1996.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	1145  
Old 10-26-2008, 09:24 PM   #15
The Jolly Mon

Locks will slow down the criminals. It may even make them search for another target.
Fact is...nothing is 'for sure'. We just do the best we can to select a different target. I can defeat most any lock in a few seconds...to a few minutes. I'm trained to do it, and have the tools. (call me "Joe Fireman") If "Joe Fireman" can do it...so can "Joe Thief".
I'll tell you a tough padlock! The kind the government uses...the 'hardened steel' models...it once wore out 2 sawblades on our K1200 saw to cut the thing off!

PS...I've seen criminals steal trailers with coupler locks on them. They simply set the tongue with lock on there hitch, tied it on and drove off.

Old 10-27-2008, 04:32 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND JollyMon View Post
Locks will slow down the criminals. It may even make them search for another target.
Fact is...nothing is 'for sure'. We just do the best we can to select a different target. I can defeat most any lock in a few seconds...to a few minutes. I'm trained to do it, and have the tools. (call me "Joe Fireman") If "Joe Fireman" can do it...so can "Joe Thief".
I'll tell you a tough padlock! The kind the government uses...the 'hardened steel' models...it once wore out 2 sawblades on our K1200 saw to cut the thing off!

PS...I've seen criminals steal trailers with coupler locks on them. They simply set the tongue with lock on there hitch, tied it on and drove off.
There is another way to slow the criminals down as far as a coupler lock go's, install a ball in the coupler before it is lock down but the threaded stud has to be removed. One thing about insurance clams, there has to be signs of forced entry or tampering to collected, so if you have secured it with some type of security device and your property has been damaged then there is no questions. Take a pic of any secured set up for the record. And yes locks are for honest people, not criminals!