Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2013, 03:09 AM   #1
Site Team

Too much sand and too little sun - my latest trip

I just returned from a 11 day trip of beach camping. It was cloudy and cool so I was happy when the sun finally came out on the second to last day. While it was fun at the start to camp directly upon the sand I quickly got tired of sand ending up everywhere. My poor ankle complained about walking in deep sand but the surf was great to experience up close. The waves were 10-15 ft high at times which is not the norm for these two beaches.

I got a little too much sun and ended up with a serious sunburn on my face & lip where I didn't apply sunblock to. I won't be making that mistake again. The big blisters below around the upper cheeks area below my eyes have pretty much healed with only slight peeling so my face & lip are looking normal again.

We stayed at two campgrounds and both times I had pretty good TV reception while my cousin's trailer did not. She only had 3 stations at most but with mostly broken up reception at any given time. Besides having a newer TT I have the Wingman installed on my antenna which seemed to help.

Later on during camping I returned to my trailer to find a warning light was on my surge protector. The power was off for a short period of time. I didn't have my booklet with me so I don't know what the code meant. This is the second time I was glad that I invested in some type of protection even if it's not the best unit available.

I'm heading to another beach for the 4th of July holiday but will make sure to use sunblock from head to toe.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:17 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Sounds like you still had a good time!
Good to see you back!
No pictures?

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:28 AM   #3

Which beaches?

108 days camped 2013
74 days camped 2014 so far
iluvlcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:07 PM   #4
Site Team

I've been MIA for a while. Dad took a nasty fall and broke his hip. About halfway through his recovery he passed away. I work at a high school so things get crazy with one school year ending as another school year starts. I do miss this place so hopefully I can get back into my regular habit of being here again.

The first beach was San Clemente SB which I often camp at because of full hookups. Then we headed south for about 25 minutes to Del Mar at Camp Pendleton (Marine Corps Base). Below are a few pictures from Del Mar Beach campground. I didn't take any new pictures from San Clemente but there are some in my photo album.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20130607_181009  Del Mar pic 5.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	33245

Click image for larger version

Name:	20130609_171042  Del Mar pic 2 - Copy.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	33249 Click image for larger version

Name:	20130607_180500  Del Mar pic 4.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	33250

Old 06-20-2013, 01:22 PM   #5

I'm so jealous! I can only dream for now.

Official member of the "Roo Kroo"!
2009 - 4, 2010 - 135
2011 - 95 and counting
skeeterbait8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:38 PM   #6

I LOVE camping on the beach! I am fortunate enough that here on Long Island we have an awesome beach campground. Your on your own at our beach no water,electric or sewer but that dont bother me any. Waking up and having only about 100 feet of sandy beach between you and the ocean is simply wonderful. Sitting next to the campfire on the beach at night with a sky loaded with stars is also great. I keep a large/wide soft bristled paint brush on a string tied to the entrance handrail and we use it to brush off our feet before entering the camper. Baby powder also works wonders to get damp sand off your feet with ease. These 2 things really keep sand winding up on the floor of the camper at a minimum but it is impossible to fully avoid. As for the sunburn well pop up awning,umbrellas and simply knowing when you have had enough sun are the best aides tho I live on the beach during the summer and turn brown lol. Pulling the camper across the beach can be fun I made my first trip out this past weekend with the new 3/4 ton truck and got stuck lol. I had too much air in the tires (18psi) my old 1/2 ton would pull it without issue at like 16psi but those were D load range. Seems these E's on my 3/4 ton like to be at 13psi as soon as I put them there it pulled like a bull (gotta love 4 low with my 4.56's) I was worried about losing the bead going that low but it was fine. Here are a few pics from last weekend

I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your Dad
Nights camped in 2014 = 19
(2013 = 36)
(2012 = 42)
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:08 PM   #7

Oh! _I_ want to camp on a beach!!

Are there any places on the east coast, like somewhere from New Jersey to Virginia areas? Is First Landing State Park in Virginia Beach good? It's one of the few I've been able to find. Most campgrounds seem to be inland, or on the bay side.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:41 AM   #8
Site Team

Great pictures of your beach camping! But got to say I'm tired of the sand. I do have reservations for the 4th of July holiday at another beach campground but I might cancel my plans. Since I'm not really in the mood to beach camp right this moment I am considering using the refund to buy something special for the family house I hope to own shortly. With several other upcoming beach trips already planned I could skip this one easily.

Thanks for the words of support about dad. He is missed but he is at peace.

I did find wearing socks did helped keep the sand down in the trailer somewhat. After some 8 surgeries on my feet & ankle walking in deep soft sand isn't easy but seeing the water up close is great.

I should taken better coverage sooner for sure. I kept checking and thought I had avoided a sunburn which turned out not to be true. I spent most of the time hanging out at my cousin's trailer and she didn't want the awning opened. Had I been by myself I would had taken cover much sooner but all is well now.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:10 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ah, the never ending battle of sand at the beach. But it is worth it.

We keep a big folding mat by the camper, and a small mat at the steps. The big mat is swept several times a day, and the small mat is shook often. I shed my flip flops and sweep my feet before climbing the steps, wipe my feet again on an inside mat, and still get sand in the camper. Of course, the dog doesn't do all of that, escalating the problem. Sweep the camper a time or 2 per day, and a thorough cleanup when we get home is mandatory.

But again, all of the trouble and grit is well worth it to spend time on a beach.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:34 PM   #10
TeresaInCAL

Sorry for your loss Terier.

We recently got back from Sunset State Beach. I enjoyed it, but in the future will fill up with water at the KOA down the road, as there are no water hook ups. So we had to D R Y camp, but we were fine.
I still want to try San Clemente.
We keep a laundry basket to the left of the steps, outside the door for shoes. No shoes in the trailer really helps with the sand issues. Also got a 20 dollar outside rug 8' x 10' ? At Costco this year for the area around the front steps, and that helped too.
TeresaInCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:54 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaInCAL View Post
Sorry for your loss Terier.

We recently got back from Sunset State Beach. I enjoyed it, but in the future will fill up with water at the KOA down the road, as there are no water hook ups. So we had to D R Y camp, but we were fine.
I still want to try San Clemente.
We keep a laundry basket to the left of the steps, outside the door for shoes. No shoes in the trailer really helps with the sand issues. Also got a 20 dollar outside rug 8' x 10' ? At Costco this year for the area around the front steps, and that helped too.
We have found that "step" rugs help tremendously. We have 8'x20' camp rug, but have step rugs on each of the 3 steps leading into the camper, and most all sand stays outside. Noticed a big diference between a trip without and a trip with.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote