Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2022, 06:50 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbflag21ds View Post
That Durango likely doesn't have the payload capacity for a 2509S
From the specs, it looks like the RT Durango has 1280 lbs payload, and towing capacity of 7100-7400 depending on package.

The 2509 has a brochure stated 773 lbs hitch weight, and slightly less than 7000 lbs GVWR. Dry weight is 5500 lbs.

No matter what, it would really be pushing that SUVís limits.
Backcountryboondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 07:48 PM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backcountryboondocker View Post
From the specs, it looks like the RT Durango has 1280 lbs payload, and towing capacity of 7100-7400 depending on package.

The 2509 has a brochure stated 773 lbs hitch weight, and slightly less than 7000 lbs GVWR. Dry weight is 5500 lbs.

That 1280 number is probably a max number for a basically equipped model. The more bling trim levels and options, the lower that number might be.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 06:54 PM   #23

Reading thru all the posts reminds me: I resemble these guysÖyou will too.
Old 02-10-2022, 09:26 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backcountryboondocker View Post

I'm on the Durango forum and folks with my exact SUV (RT/Hemi/Tow PKG/7200lb towing capacity) have towed similar hitch weight TT, in fact I saw a guy who claims to tow an Airstream 28 (gasp!) with his RT. If I'm 53lbs off on hitch weight is that a big deal? Also we don't usually carry much stuff with us, and I usually leave the fresh water tank near empty so maybe I'll be near the limit of the towing capacity but should be OK...

Any comments on the hitch weight issue would be appreciated.
ciditad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 10:10 PM   #25
Cyber Phrenologist

Too quick to upgrade?

I did my homework and a long time ago ordered the 5th wheel in my sig. Still have it.
Just got a new F-250 7.3L gasser to pull it with. Put 15 years and 210,000 miles on that F-150. Promised the wife I'd drag that trailer around until it rots to the frame and I guess we're half way there. I figure by the time the roof falls in we'll be too old to RV anymore.

I guess some of us just don't like change. Others do.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 10:57 PM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciditad View Post
I'm on the Durango forum and folks with my exact SUV (RT/Hemi/Tow PKG/7200lb towing capacity) have towed similar hitch weight TT, in fact I saw a guy who claims to tow an Airstream 28 (gasp!) with his RT. If I'm 53lbs off on hitch weight is that a big deal? Also we don't usually carry much stuff with us, and I usually leave the fresh water tank near empty so maybe I'll be near the limit of the towing capacity but should be OK...

Airstreams are not like typical TTs. They have always had much lighter tongue weights, than comparable regular TTs. That's one of their trademarks and one of the reasons they cost so much more.
You can't use them as a comparison because they are unique in the RV world.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 06:10 AM   #27

Quote:

Without going into a big semantics argument on the capability of the Durango compared to the trailer weight, and/or the use of a wdh, and/or manipulation of the trailers load configuration, all I will say is this; From the manufacture stated specs on the Durango and the 2509S you are already overloaded as it comes to the tongue weight.

If you unfortunately were to get into an accident that fact alone could cause a lot of headaches for you legally. From actual laws, to possible insurance claim denial, and maybe a civil suit. Are you willing to take that chance?
Backcountryboondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 06:28 AM   #28

going over the hitch wt , puts a lot of extra stress on shocks, rear end, ect.. along with fuel mileage isn't going to be good. get a big truck, and a 5'er and enjoy life with all the family. plenty of room in those.
wildmanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 07:08 PM   #29

Your wife is thinking ahead. Learn from my mistake. You canít have too much truck. Most (or many) RVers increase the size of their trailer, and at sometime HAVE to buy a larger truck. Go for the diesel, (F350, 3500), and then you will have room/years to grow into the trailer you really want.
jlynn721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 07:23 PM   #30

Upgrade as you see fit

OK, I had a 35 foot Sunset Trail by Cross Roads and after the first year, started looking. Found our dream 5er, Heritage Glen 390RL. FINALLY FOUND ONE after looking for a year. Dont regret it one bit. Just the fact it pulls and tracks better behind my Ram 2500, have room to spread out, even if the grand kids are visiting. Just so much better for camping. Good luck and might need to upgrade the tow first.
Bigmikejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 08:01 PM   #31

My brother bought a new 35ft 5th wheel ( don't recall make or model ). He added a 2nd AC & modded the interior to make DW happy. One week into their 1st trip, DW says it's too small. So while on that 1st trip, into an RV dealership to trade a new RV in for some 43ft monster. He took a financial beating.

2016 RAM 2500 Cummins SLT Lone Star 4X4 LB
2016 Windjammer 3029W Platinum
I'm not an expert. But I play one on the internet.
You live & learn or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 08:10 PM   #32

Add a St. Bernard

Quote:
Just posted an ad selling my 7 months old 19BHLE. I really like the TT but we've recently added 2 cats and realized it's just too small for the entire family. We looked at a Rockwood 2509S and LOVE it, so the plan is to buy one of those after we sell the 19BHLE.

Are we moving too quickly on this decision? Or should we try taking the cats on a trip and see how that goes?

My wife jokes that in a year or two I may sell the Durango and get a big diesel truck so we can upgrade to a Fifth Wheel...I don't think that'll happen...right?
We moved up to 38 feet and double wall slides when we added a St. Bernard to our crew. We also have two cats and a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel in our traveling crew. The cats love to travel but I would suggest you take them out and try it first. We had one cat (she passed a couple of months back) and she didnít like to travel.

If you have under bed storage that is a great spot for a litter box. We installed a cat door so they could go in and out and put in a motion activated light.
Accountingphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 08:30 PM   #33

Quote:
Just posted an ad selling my 7 months old 19BHLE. I really like the TT but we've recently added 2 cats and realized it's just too small for the entire family. We looked at a Rockwood 2509S and LOVE it, so the plan is to buy one of those after we sell the 19BHLE.

Are we moving too quickly on this decision? Or should we try taking the cats on a trip and see how that goes?

My wife jokes that in a year or two I may sell the Durango and get a big diesel truck so we can upgrade to a Fifth Wheel...I don't think that'll happen...right?
Interesting string.
In comparison, my wife and I (retired) went from a FR Sunseeker motorhome to a very similar 22 Minnie Winnie 1800BH and 21 Highlander.
No pets
Perfect for us, unhook in the park or not. Just finished 10 states. With the in dash mpg monitoring averaged 11 mpg.
Our friends in their 5th wheel bump into a lot of things, just saying.
Billy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 08:36 PM   #34

If you can afford to do it and happy with the choice go for it. Probably not the best time to be buying and selling units. Ive always had dumb luck buying low and selling high and have bought 5 or 6 units in the past 15 years. Bought one used, never camped in it and sold if for 3 grand more then i paid for it. Trucks im on my 3rd in 12 years.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 09:43 PM   #35

We purchased a new Ford F250 before looking at 5ers. Because we wanted to be prepared for big or small. We ended up getting a used 29 foot FR. Not too small and not too big.
Old 02-14-2022, 10:29 PM   #36
BMullins46

As has been said get bigger than you think you need. As for a tow vehicle get a big of a truck as you can stand, there have been lots of folks on here that had a TV that was just big enough for their current RV and then decide they wanted a bigger RV which meant they ALSO had to get a bigger TV.
BMullins46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 04:11 AM   #37

Bunk house

I would suggest getting a 35 foot. With bunk house. We travel with our cat Andy and this separate room Works perfectly for a covered litter box with a door. It’s out of the way .
You’ll never be sorry you go bigger. But having a TT that’s too small is challenging when you have pets.

Quote:

Topjocktom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 09:03 AM   #38

Went from a 28' 6400 pound wet TT to a 13K wet 43' long 5th. Didn't upgrade the truck, just got a second one instead. Actually found a decent truck to pull a 5th wheel then got the 5th wheel.

Now I just ordered a 2022 F350 to replace both trucks. Going to take 9 months to be built so it will be our new baby.
Old 02-15-2022, 09:27 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0rion100 View Post
Personally....I would hold out for the 5er. Kids grow....and cats too sometimes.

I too recommend holding out for the fiver. Just by the fact your wife jokes about getting one, you can plan on it happening, its just a matter of when. I also suggest getting a fiver that's one size up from what you're looking at. Can't tell you how I wish I'd listened to the wisdom of buying your second RV first (or, in your case, buying your third RV second).

Cats aside, if you have kids, although they grow up and outta camping with mom and dad, they often have kids of their own that love camping with grandma and grandpa.
GPs37FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 10:09 AM   #40

I guess I got lucky, our first RV was trial by fire to see if camping was in us. It was, but the trailer was too cramped after a while. For my first trailer I wanted something simple, no slides, things that could be troublesome etc.. I sold it for what I paid for it.

Now we have a trailer that has more than enough room, and suits our needs for now and the future. Sometimes it is hard to know just WHAT your second trailer will be if you have never done it before.

5th wheels are awesome though! They tow nice, roomy, plenty of GTFAFM room too. You just need a big truck to tow them.

Tags
upgrade