Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2019, 11:34 AM   #1

Tool Box Contents

Did a quick search and did not find any info.

So what is your must have in your Tool box for Camping? Got Pliers, screw drivers, tape, Teflon tape, couple of wrenches, sockets, what else would you throw in. Don't want to get too big of a Tool Box but just what you need for emergency fix to get somewhere.

Thanks
PapaBill
PapaBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 11:41 AM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Depends on your skills.

Take what you are able to use. That may be different between me and you.
As an example, I carry things like a torch, sawzall, grease gun, plumbing tools, soldering gun, C-clamps and cordless impact drivers. You may have no use for them.

A multimeter is a must. (and knowing how to use it)
The FREE ones at Harbor Freight are plenty good enough.

Don't forget a bottle jack and the proper socket/breaker bar to change a tire.

BTW... welcome to the forum! (post #2)

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 11:41 AM   #3

You might want to add a torque wrench. My go to emergency help tool is visegrip locking pliers - fits everything the other tools might not quite work for.
myxkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 11:49 AM   #4

What ever tool you don't have, that's the one you need and after you buy one, you will never need it again but the guy next to you will![emoji16]
Old 03-11-2019, 12:47 PM   #5

Often all one needs for their RV is one of those simple "Homeowner Handyman Toolkits" that contains the very basic tools. Hammer, screwdriver (flat blade and phillips) Pliers, diagonal cutters, a small socket set, and end wrenches from 3/8" to 3/4".

A multi-meter is definitely a must.

This will allow you to repair most items that loosen or break in the RV itself.

If you feel the need to make heavier suspension repairs on the road then a bigger hammer and a wrench to fit every nut/bolt you can see. A large vise grip and a set of channel lock pliers are also recommended.

It's not a bad idea to have some extra electrical wire around. Small rolls of #14, #16, and #10, along with an assortment of connectors (some often come with the stripping/crimping tool) will cover some minor electrical fixes. Don't forget an assortment of fuses. Check out what sizes are used in the power panel and any inline fuse holder you can find. Get an assortment that has most of the sizes used and buy single fuses for the sizes not contained in the assortment.

Most people can get all they need into a medium sized "Plano" toolbox from Walmart.

It would be a good idea to find the largest tool box you have room for and limit your tools and spares to what fits in to it.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 02:40 PM   #6

a screw driver kit with an assortment of bits. make sure it has the square bits that seem to be everywhere on our trailer. wood glue and toothpicks to plug screw holes for loose screws. a multimeter. a small set of pliers. a small tube of locktite. a roll or two of electrical tape (it comes in handy lots of places not related to electrical). several spare fuses.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:47 PM   #7

Mine is pretty much like everyone else's so far...

Screwdrivers, hammer, ratchet/socket set, pliers of all kinds, wrench sets, rubber mallet, zip ties, twist ties, Gorilla Tape, 400mph tape, multimeter, etc. But one thing mentioned that I don't have is Teflon tape... I'll have to throw a roll of it in the toolkit.

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 02:50 PM   #8

forgot to add cable ties and faucet washers
Old 03-11-2019, 03:05 PM   #9
RV There Yet?

I have one rule for tools: if you borrow it 3 times, you need to buy it/stock it in your tool kit.

I carry a recovery strap (not a tow strap) and shackles

Trauma First aid kit - quick clot, etc. i have an ax shaped scar on my leg that says this is necessary.

a digital thermometer. camping with kids this is a MUST.

the normal hand tools, driver bits, screw gun, etc. two jacks in the truck, fix a flat, electrical tape, disposable gloves, duct tape, the normal stuff.

air compressor, fuses,

if you are going to carry Teflon tape, save a step and just get the yellow gas stuff. that way if you need it for propane lines, you dont have to worry about it.

I always carry rescue tape as well. its a silicone tape, makes permanent repairs to fuel lines, air lines, not affected by chemicals, works for water hoses, and LASTS!! I have used it to fix the bottom side of a rotted out fuel filler neck on an suv when out of town, low on gas. took it off a month later when replacing the part, no damage what so ever, even after multiple fill ups. I wont travel without it now.

https://www.rescuetape.com/
Old 03-11-2019, 03:13 PM   #10
Always Learning

My skill level is very, very low. I am willing to tackle simple jobs. Anything that's difficult or challenging, I tend to wait for help or hire out.

My 2 most used tools are my little hand-held power screwdriver and a screw driver with detachable ends that store in the handle. I use that a vast majority of the time.

Hammer and drill come next.

I have a "50-piece" type of toolset that I use for smaller sockets, allen wrenches, and whatnot. That lives outside.

Inside, I have a "20-piece" type of set.

My impact wrench is a little weakling. It rarely gets used but is good for spinning lugnuts on and off once I use the 18" breaker bar to loosen them.

Deep well socket set. And a couple of extensions (especially useful for water heater and lugnuts).

Torque wrench.

Variety of screw drivers (short, long, heavy) in both Philips and standard.

Random hand tools:
- Needle nose pliers
- dykes
- locking vice grips
- adjustable wrenches (one big, one little)
- good 10" metal ruler
- metal yard stick
- metal punch
- couple sizes of pliers
- 4-5 clamps (some spring clamps, some C-clamps)
- woodworking triangle
- utility knives
- electrical wire tool (stripper/crimper)

A couple of saws:
- jig/sabre saw
- japanese pull saw
- bonsai saw (tiny)
- hacksaw

I also have a couple of straight edges for being able to cut straight lines.

Multimeter, but honestly feel like an idiot every time I break it out. You might as well give me a magic wand and proclaim, "every RVer should have one".

Bottle jack and I also have my truck's jack. 12v air compressor, but that's for tires not running tools.

I also have a small variety of "consumable" supplies and "project" pieces in a couple of bins/organizers. I don't quite consider them tools, though.
Old 03-11-2019, 03:18 PM   #11
Insert witty title here

The phone number for roadside assistance.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 03:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
The phone number for roadside assistance.
Don't forget a checkbook, debit and or credit card. Its amazing what those 3 things can fix!
Hensley Hitch
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 03:25 PM   #13
RV There Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
My skill level is very, very low. I am willing to tackle simple jobs. Anything that's difficult or challenging, I tend to wait for help or hire out.

My 2 most used tools are my little hand-held power screwdriver and a screw driver with detachable ends that store in the handle. I use that a vast majority of the time.

Hammer and drill come next.

I have a "50-piece" type of toolset that I use for smaller sockets, allen wrenches, and whatnot. That lives outside.

Inside, I have a "20-piece" type of set.

My impact wrench is a little weakling. It rarely gets used but is good for spinning lugnuts on and off once I use the 18" breaker bar to loosen them.

Deep well socket set. And a couple of extensions (especially useful for water heater and lugnuts).

Torque wrench.

Variety of screw drivers (short, long, heavy) in both Philips and standard.

Random hand tools:
- Needle nose pliers
- dykes
- locking vice grips
- adjustable wrenches (one big, one little)
- good 10" metal ruler
- metal yard stick
- metal punch
- couple sizes of pliers
- 4-5 clamps (some spring clamps, some C-clamps)
- woodworking triangle
- utility knives
- electrical wire tool (stripper/crimper)

A couple of saws:
- jig/sabre saw
- japanese pull saw
- bonsai saw (tiny)
- hacksaw

I also have a couple of straight edges for being able to cut straight lines.

Multimeter, but honestly feel like an idiot every time I break it out. You might as well give me a magic wand and proclaim, "every RVer should have one".

Bottle jack and I also have my truck's jack. 12v air compressor, but that's for tires not running tools.

I also have a small variety of "consumable" supplies and "project" pieces in a couple of bins/organizers. I don't quite consider them tools, though.

we have seen your skill set, and i would put you well above "basic". grab yourself a coping saw and a folding saw handle that can accept sawzall blades. you will be hard pressed to find something you cant cut then!

as for your multi meter, i cant tell you the number of times i tell my wife "i have this under control" only to disappear around the camper and pull out my phone to youtube it.
Old 03-11-2019, 03:51 PM   #14
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsleDog View Post
we have seen your skill set, and i would put you well above "basic". grab yourself a coping saw and a folding saw handle that can accept sawzall blades. you will be hard pressed to find something you cant cut then!

as for your multi meter, i cant tell you the number of times i tell my wife "i have this under control" only to disappear around the camper and pull out my phone to youtube it.
I appreciate the kind words. They're misguided of course!

And I've literally laid under the camper before with Youtube playing!
Old 03-11-2019, 04:02 PM   #15

Wonder what a tool kit should weigh? Mine is a little heavy plus the torque wrench and sockets are somewhere else
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 04:16 PM   #16

*****Fuses****
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 05:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabinfever97 View Post
Don't forget a checkbook, debit and or credit card. Its amazing what those 3 things can fix!
Don't overlook the value of having some cash on hand too. It can be amazing how much less a "service call" from a small independent businessman can be if he doesn't have to deal with Credit/Debit card "swipe fees" or have to go to the bank to deposit a check.

More and more service businesses are offering cash discounts because of how they're getting the shaft from the Credit Card industry with their "Cash Back" rewards. That money YOU, the consumer gets back when you use your credit card, actually comes out of the merchant's pocket in the form of higher transaction fees.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 05:26 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Don't overlook the value of having some cash on hand too. It can be amazing how much less a "service call" from a small independent businessman can be if he doesn't have to deal with Credit/Debit card "swipe fees" or have to go to the bank to deposit a check.

More and more service businesses are offering cash discounts because of how they're getting the shaft from the Credit Card industry with their "Cash Back" rewards. That money YOU, the consumer gets back when you use your credit card, actually comes out of the merchant's pocket in the form of higher transaction fees.
Very good point. I think I will add a few presidents to the tool box!
Hensley Hitch
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote