Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2019, 09:00 PM   #1

Tools and RV Leveling

My vehicle is a 2018 25' Coachmen Freelander. Is it necessary to carry a "torque wrench" in your RV tool kit? If so, is it a "click type" or other?

How do you level your RV if it is not equipped with leveling jacks? I have tried looking over the sight, and then backing in and out till it looks about right. Also, have used a level on the sink counter and over the bedroom bump out before extracting the bump out.

Would appreciate any info on these topics.
Thanks,
thepeddler
thepeddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:26 PM   #2

Put some levels on the outside of your trailer, the little ones made for the purpose. Then either cut some 2x6 boards with a bevel cut on the ends or buy some blocks made for the purpose of raising the wheels on the low side to get you level. Don't try to use jacks for levling. Next time you are in a campground walk around and observe all the ways people solve this probem.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:52 PM   #3

As for the torque wrench, that is a tool I would not be without. I have a click type, and any time a wheel comes off, when I replace it (or the spare) on the rig I torque to the proper value. Then, after driving 50 miles or so, I stop and retorque the lugs again. If no wheels have been removed in a few thousand miles, I will confirm proper torque at a rest stop.

Some may say this is overkill, but I come from class 8 trucks where actions like this were trained from the start. You don't want to lose a set of wheels due to improper torque.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:27 PM   #4
Site Team

The OP has a Motorhome, not a trailer.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 05:58 AM   #5

Tools and RV Leveling

I should have said my RV was a MH
thepeddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:57 AM   #6

I carry a torque wrench. I level my class c using the leveling blocks, lynx or camco. Check by using a bull's eye level, place it in the bottom of the freezer. After it was level, I added a set of small rv bubble levels (purchased in rv section of Wal-Mart) to the cab, one at center of dash (not on top) the other on the driver's door, this gives us a quick check to start.
2017 Ford Fiesta toad
Bill and Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 10:18 AM   #7
Site Team

I carry a torque wrench, but if I didn't already carry one, I wouldn't buy one just to have it for the RV. The number of times you would need it wouldn't pay for one. It makes sense to carry enough wrenches and sockets to change a tire if they require a non-normal size, but that's just to get out of a bind or have them for the service guy in case they don't have one on their truck.
Old 05-22-2019, 03:44 PM   #8

LogicBlue Level Mate Pro is the absolute best system IMHO.

It works awesome for me and every time I take my RV out it reminds me how the heck I went without it in the past.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FGGSWPW...qpB5Cb550GT5Zs
CyclePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:53 PM   #9
CGK
Camping with Labs

I use the basic click-type torque wrench before every trip to ensure the TT wheel lugs are at the proper torque. I do carry the wrench in my tool box, and on long trips I do check periodically to be sure the lugs are still at the proper setting. Thinking back, I can't remember a time when the torque changed during a trip, so perhaps this is overkill - but better safe than sorry, and besides, I already have the torque wrench. As for leveling, there have been other threads about this and you can probably find more good information than you ever need in those threads....just use the search engine to find the topics you want to explore.
CGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:02 PM   #10

Bill and Gail have it as simple as it can get. That's the way you want it. I have a TT, but same thing...carry wood blocks to put under tires if I need to level...cheap and easy.

BTW....I'm from your Big Sister city...50 miles to the N.E. up I-80.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 08:50 PM   #11

We have a TT. WE use the Andersen Levelers, a curved wedge you pull up onto then chock from the backside. Very easy to use, one per tire on side you’re raising. We simply lace a level on the floor inside the door first sized to side, then from to rear. The DW watches the level while I adjust.
sunnman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling