Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2019, 01:07 PM   #1

Toto I’m not in CA anymore

It’s been three years now from moving from Southern CA to NC I’m still adjusting to the South and have some interesting observations.

NC has an annual vehicle inspection CA did not there are more broken down cars and trucks along the side of the road then I ever saw in CA and they stay there for days or a week before they are ever moved in CA it was towed in short order 😊

I have no idea how a majority of cars I see here on the road could actually pass the inspection 😊

Here In NC they love NASCAR so much so that they practice drafting on the highways before making a lane change with no signal 😊

Any vehicle towing a trailer can't be in the far left lane (Fast Lane) that was a no no in CA here in NC it’s a common occurrence even if the trailer has no safety chains and two different size wheels 😊

I'm doing a better job of fitting in I now wear a Carhartt camouflage baseball hat and don't wear my Jeff Spicoli Vans as much when I go to TSC
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X
Ejs4029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 06:27 PM   #2

But you get cheap gas (and cigarettes if that's a need!) so it all evens out, right?
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 06:32 PM   #3
Trailer Park Supervisor

Cheap EVERYTHING compared to CA! And you'll be paying to support far fewer people with your tax dollars.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 06:33 PM   #4

Ca does do smog checks and that kills off all the older cars that don't pass.
Kind of a back door annual inspection.
Old 10-15-2019, 06:39 PM   #5

I believe 40 West is still open. And it goes all the way to Barstow.
Old 10-15-2019, 09:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejs4029 View Post
It’s been three years now from moving from Southern CA to NC I’m still adjusting to the South and have some interesting observations.

NC has an annual vehicle inspection CA did not there are more broken down cars and trucks along the side of the road then I ever saw in CA and they stay there for days or a week before they are ever moved in CA it was towed in short order 😊

I have no idea how a majority of cars I see here on the road could actually pass the inspection 😊

Here In NC they love NASCAR so much so that they practice drafting on the highways before making a lane change with no signal 😊

Any vehicle towing a trailer can't be in the far left lane (Fast Lane) that was a no no in CA here in NC it’s a common occurrence even if the trailer has no safety chains and two different size wheels 😊

I'm doing a better job of fitting in I now wear a Carhartt camouflage baseball hat and don't wear my Jeff Spicoli Vans as much when I go to TSC

Don't forget why you left CA, leave that stuff behind you.
Theb2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 09:44 PM   #7

Two things on my Bucket List. Stay out of CA and NYC. So far...so good.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 09:48 PM   #8

In CA there are 6 lanes of traffic so plenty of lanes to keep your trailer in parked on the highway. In NC you likely have two lanes and well you have to pass...NASCAR allows passing.

Those nascar guys know how to get around annual inspections [emoji6]
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 09:56 PM   #9

Shoulda stopped 3 states back. No annual inspections, no broken down cars on the road, Nascar is very optional, fewer people from border to border than 27 CA cities, and many of our roads are actually paved.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 10:05 PM   #10
Retired Old Fart

If you miss the traffic of CA, come on down to Atlanta, GA. It's only a short drive from NC. We have I-285 which is sort of a combination of CA traffic and NASCAR driving skills all in one (the outer loop around Atlanta). 6 wide swapping paint at 85mph+ 7 days a week.
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:59 PM   #11

Amateur NASCAR

In my recent road trip it was perfectly clear - the country’s worst drivers are in New Jersey and California- nowhere else even came close thankfully.

Amateur NASCAR drivers in the south? either I didn’t see any or Mexican abuelas in California can out race them all day long. Seemed like Nothing but polite “Sunday drivers” in the south when I went through and I was impressed (and depressed I couldn’t stay). by the time I hit Winslow, AZ the real amateur NASCAR race unfortunately started again, gradually getting worse through SoCal.
Great bourbon-just about any of San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 02:56 AM   #12

Over 3 trillion in gross state product last year, of course Ca is expensive - takes money to make money. Thankfully every state has a few folks who drive/pull an RV and enjoy the beauty that nature provides.
myxkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 05:22 AM   #13
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
In my recent road trip it was perfectly clear - the country’s worst drivers are in New Jersey and California- nowhere else even came close thankfully.
New Jersey, where every drive is a battle for survival. You have to strike the right blend of defensive and offensive driving!
Old 10-16-2019, 06:55 AM   #14

When crossing the state line in North Carolina one doesn’t need a passport.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:02 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dward51 View Post
If you miss the traffic of CA, come on down to Atlanta, GA. It's only a short drive from NC. We have I-285 which is sort of a combination of CA traffic and NASCAR driving skills all in one (the outer loop around Atlanta). 6 wide swapping paint at 85mph+ 7 days a week.
Been there done that years ago. What I did notice there that you don't see in Nebr....when I saw the sign for my exit into downtown Atlanta, I was stuck in the farthest left lane and needed to get to the right. Turned on blinker....yes...I know what those are...and I use them and when I hit blinker, people started making holes for me get over in each lane till I was in the right lane with still a mile or more to go before I got to exit. Doing 70 mph the whole time. Do that in Nebr...everyone seems to close any hole to prevent you from getting in front of them.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 09:44 AM   #16
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
When crossing the state line in North Carolina one doesn’t need a passport.
Apparently you don't need a passport there either!!
Old 10-16-2019, 02:41 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejs4029 View Post

NC has an annual vehicle inspection CA did not there are more broken down cars and trucks along the side of the road then I ever saw in CA and they stay there for days or a week before they are ever moved in CA it was towed in short order ��

I have no idea how a majority of cars I see here on the road could actually pass the inspection ��

Here In NC they love NASCAR so much so that they practice drafting on the highways before making a lane change with no signal ��

Any vehicle towing a trailer can't be in the far left lane (Fast Lane) that was a no no in CA here in NC it’s a common occurrence even if the trailer has no safety chains and two different size wheels ��

The NC inspection is a joke, I send my buddy a text with the vin, plate and mileage and he runs my car through. NC doesn't mandate that old cars come off the road like CA does in fact no inspections are required for cars over 35 years old. Also, many of the cars on the side of the road are owned by immigrants that don't have a license or insurance, they abandon them and leave them when they die. NC tows a car usually within a week.

Have you ever been up north to see the rust buckets they drive? Brake lines fail, pieces fall off. NC cars are in a lot better shape than most places. Nice of you to generalize though.

NC drivers are not that bad, part of the problem is NC is such a nice state too many people that move here don't know how to drive.

I do not see that many trailers in the far left lane, I will drive the middle lane, no law against either. Usually it is the Prius's blocking the left lane. Again, where do you live (ah, I see Denver), the trailers I see are the same as other states.

Don't rag on TSC, they have stuff for home, pet and trucks and they saved my tail having a tire ready to mount on my car hauler trailer the other night when a China Bomb blew. As stated before, if you don't like NC there are Interstates out in all directions. We didn't ask for you to move here so don't bring your attitude and high taxes to the State.
2018 25 2019 25
2020 24 2021 28 2022 302023 30
Coolharts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 03:05 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dward51 View Post
Yeah, the first time I took my camper around there I suddenly became very religious.
Having lots of Fun traveling with my wife
old40ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 03:18 PM   #19

I live on the southern coast of NC, currently spending the month on the western border in the mountains. There is only 1 problem in NC, it is the 2nd Yankee invasion. They move here for lower taxes and cost of living. Also to enjoy better weather and a slower pace. Next they want to change things to what they were like "there". Most come from NY, NJ, or Mexico and were never taught manners or how to drive. Just like carpetbaggers after the 1st invasion, they were not invited. At times we have to remind some roads do go far west, north and south but we prefer they go extremely far east,
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 03:23 PM   #20
Trailer Park Supervisor

I plan on moving your way from NJ when wife retires, one difference though. I've lived down South already, and I get it. I don't WANT things to change there, it is the reason I want to be there, but I'm afraid all my fellow yankees are going to ruin everything before I get there. You know what ruined the South? Air conditioning. Made it possible for outsiders to come in (carpetbaggers) and muck everything up.