Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2017, 04:12 PM   #1

Tow Dolly Help

I have narrowed do my selection to:
Acme Eze Tow Dolly
Master Tow Dolly

We will be towing a 2017 Dodge Grand Caravan suv, weight is about 4400 lbs. The trailer will be equipped with electric brakes.
What would be your choose?????
We will be towing with a Coachmen 32' Leprechaun with a Ford E-450
Also comments welcome.
Mike
siam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 04:57 PM   #2

4 years ago we bought a new Master Tow with Electric breaks to tow our Kia Soul. We towed it on its one and only trip 5K miles.
- Loading was a two person job, I was very concerned with driving off the front of the dolly as you have no visibility on where you are on the loading ramp.
- Make sure you drive on the ramp perfectly straight and that both tires are even on the front stop, otherwise tie down straps do not tighten properly.
- Had problems with keeping the tie down straps tight(even using a breaker bar on the tightening bolt to insure fully tight. Had to recheck after loading and driving 20 miles, then again every 100 miles. Did not check one time and a trucker flagged us down. Pulling over I saw one of the straps had come completely off.
- The way the straps mounted on the Kia front tire, the inside of the strap was rubbing on the upper A frame of the car. Straps were very worn from this contact.
- Tire pressure on the dolly was kept at the maximum recommended by Master Tow. By the time we got home the tires were trashed(not damaged just worn out). I contacted Master Tow and was told there was no warranty on the tires and that 5K to 6K is the maximum they expected them to last.
- The brake wiring broke at the fenders and dealer could not get Master Tow to warranty.
- Welds broke on steel fender bracket, not damaged from contact, just broke from normal flexing. Again not covered by warranty.
- Electric brake box broke loose from mounting cracking the box. Glued it back together and used silicon under it to cushion the box.

During the 5K trip there were many bad roads that caused lots of jolts that likely caused the welds and the box to break but in general I would have expect non of the issues we had with the Master Tow Dolly.

Put new tires on the dolly, fixed all the issues, then sold the Master Tow dolly and bought a used car to flat tow.
We find the flat towing far easier, faster set up and what I consider safer.
George-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 05:11 PM   #3

Don't know much about either one, but george b's experience tells me which to steer clear of.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 05:20 PM   #4

I purchased a brand new ACME tow dolly las year (electric brake). I had to install an emergency brake kit, as the electric brake model did not come with one. The surge brake model does. I prefer the electric brake over the surge. I towed a 2013 Volkswagen GTI from La Vegas to Vancouver BC, and back. Stopped by San Francisco, Portland OR, Seattle WA. Inalso had to re-tighten th straps after driving for then first few miles, then after about 50 miles. New straps WILL stretch, as noted by the manufacturer. Did not have any problem with the dolly. Tire tread is still about half. I purchased 2 extra tires right away, just in case I needed it. The unit itself seemed to be built tough. Only time will tell. I will benusing it again going to Los Angeles in few weeks. Hope this help.
ADOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 05:36 PM   #5

You may also what to check with Dodge on towing distances on a dolly. We have a 2012 Chrysler Town & Country. I checked with two dealers and Chrysler and was told it was not recommended that we tow long distances. No reason given as to why, But I have seen several being towed on dollies.
It may be as simple as the back of the van on a dolly would be close to the ground as that is a storage area, just do not know why Chrysler did not recommend it, that is why we chose to tow the Kia(Kia at that time had no issue with dolly towing).
Also you need to determine what you do with the steering wheel on the van when towing it. Do you leave the ignition lock on or off, what gear do you put it in, or put it in park. Likely locked in park, but you need to be sure which is best not to damage anything.
George-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 05:41 PM   #6

Just an update
The steering wheel on this vehicle does not lock when key is removed so not a problem
Mike
siam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:05 PM   #7

I cant comment on the vehicle you plan to tow as I tow a 16 Accord (non locking steering wheel) on the Acme surge brake version. I have towed this combination slightly less than 5000 miles this season with no issues at all. I did research all the dollys that are available and settled on the Acme as the best for my intended use regardless of the price.
Customer service was as good as it gets. I had a light go bad a month ago. I emailed them over the weekend with a picture and received a reply Monday am that they were sending out a new set. I received the lights 3 days later.
When I ordered the dolly the freight company tried to deliver it 3 days later. I had them hold it till we got back home a few days later.
As previously stated check the straps 5 miles and then 50 miles in. After that at your normal stops.
As a mater of fact just towed it over the last two days to The Bamaganza.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk toad
2017.5 Forester 3051S Traded 7/2020
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote