Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2015, 04:20 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
Off topic just a little bit but do you multiply the weight of what each tire says to get the total weight that the camper can carry

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Some of the weight of your camper is carried as tongue weight. A common practice is to upgrade your tires a load range, say from LRDs to LREs. If your MGW is anywhere near the total load allowed on your tires, I would [have] gone up one load range.
It is generally figured that 10%-15% of your MAGW is allowable for your tongue. If I'm off at all, hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in. Don't want to misinform.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 05:43 PM   #42

TowMax has a recall on some of their tires built in 2014 and 2015. Go to Safecar.gov [NHTSA] website to look it up. I forgot the notice number. Dynamics tire says they will pay for the bad tires. GOOD LUCK!
Old 12-20-2015, 08:38 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
TowMax has a recall on some of their tires built in 2014 and 2015. Go to Safecar.gov [NHTSA] website to look it up. I forgot the notice number. Dynamics tire says they will pay for the bad tires. GOOD LUCK!
Just looked at the list. No current recall info on any Towmax tires.

POWER KING TOWMAX | Safercar | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
Old 12-21-2015, 12:02 AM   #44

The campaign number is 14T015000 with NHTSA.
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/...el=ST&stats=19
Old 12-21-2015, 02:42 AM   #45

Quote:
The campaign number is 14T015000 with NHTSA.
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/...el=ST&stats=19
Dynamic is a CDN wholesaler. Power King is the USA wholesaler for Towmax.

That's an old recall number. Probably already been taken care of.
Old 12-21-2015, 07:25 AM   #46
Ambassador

I would have my axle alignment checked

Quote:
Well, guess what? Had an Akuret tire explode on me while driving through Atlanta during rush hour traffic yesterday. Full tread separation and BOOM! No indication on the TPMS of any problems, pressure 80psi cold, temps in the 80s, just BOOM!
I've weighed the Aviator twice and both times a 1,000 lbs or more under Max weight. The last tires to blow were TowMax, but Akuret's are still China Bombs.
I don't know what it is going to take to get these garbage tires off the market.
My hometown tire guy has recommended LT LRG Steel tires to me, but to keep the two Hercules spares that I just put on the ground. He claims they are the best of the worst. This has been a total of 5 blowouts in exactly one year. Four happened last Christmas eve headed to the FL Keys for the holidays.
I had a similar problem when use to tow my cabin cruiser around. I had so many blow outs I carried 2 spares at all times. Finally I took the trailer to my friend who is a diesel mechanic works on freight trailers, two of the three axles were seriously out of alignment. Once he fixed that I had very little issues after that. I can't help but notice how similar your story sounds to my past experiences....I know the tires probably played a role here but sure sounds similar.

Ken K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 12:04 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwoodjoe View Post
I have over 7k miles on my Westlake original equip tires on a Rockwood 2703ws. We have had one tire go bad and replaced by FR under warranty. This includes the 2900 mile trip to the FR rally in August. I am crossing my fingers to get 1000 more miles on two upcoming trips before we trade for a Motorhome in February.

Love the trailer but these tires scare the wife.
This is whats left of one of my Westlake tires:

I'd have to look on the truck to see how many towing miles but not more than 3500 on these.
I had no indication this was coming, TPMS started screaming out of no where and people honking at me in Atlanta. Fun times.
Old 12-21-2015, 04:38 PM   #48

We checked the alignment several times going from center of hub to center of hub, tire to tire. The difference from one to the other was less than measurable, maybe 1/32". It was spot on. Measured three times to make sure. Both sides the same.
The framework that holds the Dexter axles is not adjustable, it just bolts directly to the units frame. The axles can not be moved either up, down, left or right. They are where they are without a welding torch.
I believe some of the problem is just poor design as everything heavy, such as water heater, fridge, pantry, kitchen sink, microwave/convection oven and stove top, are all on one side. Just happens to be the side the first blowouts and most damage are done. Nothing heavy on the other side but the pop-out with sofa and bathroom.
We installed a 1/8" steel plate wheel well liner to reduce future damage if we have another tread separation. If it breaks this, I have no option but to punt!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2193.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	369.4 KB
ID:	96589  
Old 12-21-2015, 06:23 PM   #49

Have Constancy LY188 in 205/75R14, we will replace them with Goodyear Marathon 215/75R14. $92 each mounting/balancing and Road hazard warranty (about $10 each per tire) and my local WalMart will install on the trailer.
FrankMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 05:43 AM   #50
Who Dares, Wins

I could be wrong... But check on the road hazard. I though someone here bought the road hazard warranty from Wally world and when something happened they denied because it was a trailer and should not have gotten the warranty or something to that effect.. I remember their posting months back.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 07:32 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
Just looked at the list. No current recall info on any Towmax tires.

POWER KING TOWMAX | Safercar | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
Dynamic Tire Corp. (Dynamic) is recalling certain Towmax STR tires, size ST225/75 R15 manufactured June 15, 2014, to October 14, 2014. The affected tires may have the Incorrect Load Capacity and Inflation Pressure Stampings. Thus, these vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 119, "New Pneumatic Tires for Vehicles Other Than Passenger Cars
Old 12-22-2015, 08:36 AM   #52
Who Dares, Wins

I think they should all be recalled for failing section 666wtf since they all should fail to meet the quality and standard to be put on my daughters power wheels. Even that has better tires on it! No flat plastic!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 10:37 AM   #53

I asked the Automotive Manager about that when he gave me the price. He pulled the paperwork and it does not exclude trailer tires. We both looked at it and I had my wife read it, trailer tires are covered. It is on the back of all work orders in automotive area. They will give you a copy if you ask for it. Most WalMarts will not install to the trailer but will mount and balance.
FrankMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 11:35 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMor View Post
I asked the Automotive Manager about that when he gave me the price. He pulled the paperwork and it does not exclude trailer tires. We both looked at it and I had my wife read it, trailer tires are covered. It is on the back of all work orders in automotive area. They will give you a copy if you ask for it. Most WalMarts will not install to the trailer but will mount and balance.

Walmart is about the only place I have found that will sell a road hazard warranty on LT tires. If you can find the tires at Walmart online, just about no one beats Walmart's price.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 12:49 PM   #55
I Break Everything

I've had nothing but bad luck with those when we had one of our 5th wheels, at least 5 separate blowouts. A couple of them blew parts of the panels off and one once part of our sewer connection.

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS Class A
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 11:23 PM   #56

Maxxis.

Finally, we made it to the FL Keys with the same tires we left home with! It's a FIRST! A milestone! All 4 new Maxxis. Temps and psi variations were very little and well within the operating parameters. I'm happy as a clam! TST 507 worked perfectly.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:18 PM   #57

Quote:
Well, guess what? Had an Akuret tire explode on me while driving through Atlanta during rush hour traffic yesterday. Full tread separation and BOOM! No indication on the TPMS of any problems, pressure 80psi cold, temps in the 80s, just BOOM!

I've weighed the Aviator twice and both times a 1,000 lbs or more under Max weight. The last tires to blow were TowMax, but Akuret's are still China Bombs.

I don't know what it is going to take to get these garbage tires off the market.

My hometown tire guy has recommended LT LRG Steel tires to me, but to keep the two Hercules spares that I just put on the ground. He claims they are the best of the worst. This has been a total of 5 blowouts in exactly one year. Four happened last Christmas eve headed to the FL Keys for the holidays.

Hey black hat Mike,
We had a blow out on our fifth wheel last October headed to Savannah. Did about $3200 worth of damage, all cosmetic. Got to Savannah and had tow max replaced with Goodyear Marathons on recommendation of my tire guy back home. Then Friday between Brunswick and Savannah, we saw 3 fifth wheels with blow outs on 95. Be careful out there.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
C. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 10:34 PM   #58

Never get Akuret tires. My factory D range 16" were properly inflated, not overloaded and suddenly found with bulging tread. Trying to get to next night stop and a Discount Tire Store I found two tires so out of round they were rubbing each other. Couldn't have gone very much further. Only choice was to pull the worst offender with the largest bulge and limped in barefoot. Bought full set of Carlisle E range the next AM. That trailer is someone else's problem now.

Tires had 10,000 miles and just over 3 years old and were stored covered and on wood at home.

Almost South of the Border
whatsupchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 07:07 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
Put 12K miles on my Hercules power STR tires in the first 18 months of ownership. 450 miles is nothing.
I am putting the Hercules Power STR tires on my 5ver along with new rims to handle the 95 psi. I got them mounted this past weekend. I've replaced my tires 3 times. The last blowout (Duro tires ) caused $3711.86 in damage to the camper. They only had about 1500 miles on them, properly inflated and cared for, no indication of failure. I had left the campground and had gone about 4 miles. I looked at the other tires and discovered a baseball sized bulge on the opposite side tire. How do you like the Hercules tires you've mounted? I'm running out of options in trying to figure out tire issues.
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:04 AM   #60

Have had good luck with my Hercules. Many people swear by LT tires on 16 inch rims. I don't have that option on my 15 inch rims.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires