Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2020, 10:59 AM   #41
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
You cannot get a V8 in the Canyon/Colorado.
x2!
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 11:39 AM   #42
Brake is on left

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
The 5.3 gas is only available in the Silverado size truck. And yes, it is a good motor. The largest motor in the Coloarado/Canyon class is the 3.6 naturally aspirated V-6. For 2020 (and 2021), the LT (Colorado), SLT (Canyon) and above series have the 3.6 liter with 8-speed automatic. Lower models and the diesel use the 6-speed trans.
Lol. Time flies. The 8 cyl hasnít been available for some years now. None the less, the pony diesel is the best option they have.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 02:16 PM   #43

I made the classic mistake, I owned a tent trailer that I towed with a Toyota Tundra. I bought the Tundra with the intention of upgrading to a TT at some point. Well last year I made the move shopped around and found the trailer I wanted with the dealer insuring me my Tundra would pull it just fine. Which it did, now stopping was a different story which I soon discovered. Needles to say Tundra is gone and I have a new Ram 2500 (which I hadnít planned on buying) but felt was a good investment if I valued the life of my family and wanted to actually be able to safely tow my trailer. Bottom line is do your research donít make the mistake of buying a vehicle that is inadequately sized for what you are towing or may want to tow in the future. Iím not knocking the Tundra which was billed as a half ton and is truely not. I just think your going to be disappointed in the long run with the Colorado or Canyon and wanting more truck in the end. I just thing smaller trucks are good for hauling your weekend projects but not really designed to be tow vehicles despite what the dealer or manufacture advertises them to be.
Troutflys13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 02:34 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutflys13 View Post
...Bottom line is do your research donít make the mistake of buying a vehicle that is inadequately sized for what you are towing or may want to tow in the future. Iím not knocking the Tundra which was billed as a half ton and is truely not. I just think your going to be disappointed in the long run with the Colorado or Canyon and wanting more truck in the end. I just thing smaller trucks are good for hauling your weekend projects but not really designed to be tow vehicles despite what the dealer or manufacture advertises them to be.
As may be obvious, a V8 will make fewer RPMs than a 6 cyl. and last longer because of it. Going up a long, steep grade puts a lot of strain on the engine and no one wants a failure on a big grade!
Old 07-07-2020, 02:45 PM   #45
Grammar Pedant

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammer View Post
Having just gone through this tow vehicle search here are the "opinions" that I eventually developed. [...]So I ended up going with a Toyota Tundra, 10000 capacity [...] Again, these are my opinions developed from research.
If you searched and read here and you are still quoting tow capacity, then you didn't really search and read here. There's just no way to read through myriad "can I tow it" threads and come away still talking about tow capacity. It's not possible.

Just like in this thread, almost immediately the OP was corrected to shift focus away from the nonsensical, misleading tow capacity and instead focus on payload.

You may have a good truck and I'm not questioning your selection. But, I don't believe you did any research if you're quoting tow capacity on a 1/2 ton.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 03:07 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR51 View Post
As may be obvious, a V8 will make fewer RPMs than a 6 cyl. and last longer because of it. Going up a long, steep grade puts a lot of strain on the engine and no one wants a failure on a big grade!
Fewer than a 6.7 Cummins?
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 03:30 PM   #47

Look on the door jam for the YELLOW TAG! Deduct from the payload number there your weight, the weight of your passengers, both two and four legged, all the stuff that's going into the vehicle, the weight of the WDH shank and your calculated tongue weight. Do that for you your vehicle and any vehicles you consider purchasing. I think I've covered weights, but if I missed something I'm sure I will be corrected. Good luck and drive safely. oh yes, if you are heading into Colorado, learn how to make minimum use of braking when going down grades. Use the lower gears. Also keep in mind you will want to use lower gear going up grades. Do not worry about speed. You will notice a lot of those 18 wheelers are going 5 miles an hour uphill. And they have a whole lot more power than anything you will be driving.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 04:02 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmersonTT View Post
Youíre getting buried with valuable information regarding weight tolerances etc., but let me go back to your key question of whether either of the two new TVís you have in mind would make towing your 3200 lb travel trailer any easier. Based on my experience with that size of 6 cylinder engine, I would say probably not, especially in the mountains. We towed a 3700 lb travel trailer with our Honda Pilot (3.6L 6cyl with full tow package), and that size engine really struggled towing that trailer in the New England mountains. I see that the torque of the 3.6 engine is rated a little higher than the Honda, but it doesnít approach the torque of the Ford 6cyl ecoboost engine (which gets rave reviews for towing power). We had friends who towed a 3200 lb travel trailer in the Rockies with a Highlander (3.5V6) and said never again. I upgraded to a Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel. My friends upgraded to the Grand Cherokee V8. I read that both the Colorado and Canyon now come with V8ís, and if I was going to upgrade,Iíd make that extra jump.
Been doing a lot of research on Colorados and Canyons. So far including the 2023, no cards for a V-8. There was word that there would be a 4 cylinder turbo gasser. Hangin' a turbo on the V6 would be an improvement-nothin' on that either.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 06:46 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
Been doing a lot of research on Colorados and Canyons. So far including the 2023, no cards for a V-8. There was word that there would be a 4 cylinder turbo gasser. Hangin' a turbo on the V6 would be an improvement-nothin' on that either.
Just my opinion, getting a 1/2 ton to tow would be a much better choice. Size does matter when it comes to towing. I started off with a 2012 Escalade ESV towing a 2018 Apex 300BHS, long trailer weighing around 6500 lbs. We did 1800 miles or so between various trips. The vehicle did the job but never felt comfortable and that is with upgrades I did to the vehicle (Air springs to help the air suspension, colder T stat, large trans cooler). Now towing same trailer with 2500 Ram Cummins..day and night difference! Now we are shopping for a fifth wheel as we would like more overall space. Again a 1/2 truck for your situation would be a much better investment.
Old 07-07-2020, 07:22 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelkol View Post
Another thing to take into consideration is the wheel base. A shorter wheel base vehicle will have a tendency to get pushed around more when towing. The longer wheel base vehicles tend to be more stable. Hence less white knuckle driving.
The Colorado/Canyon crew cab is available with a 6' bed. The wheel base and overall length are a foot longer that the more popular short bed. Our son is dealing on one currently.

The Ford Ranger mentioned above is a Toyota Tacoma body with Ford badging.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:18 PM   #51

Remember truck brakes stop the truck, trailer brakes stop the trailer. My 1 ton Dually would get pushed around if my 14k trailer didnít have brakes. Would my Dually tow ops trailer yes, though some would argue I might need a bigger truck. I say it would be overkill. Using tow standards the ops choice is clearly ok. Again if your gonna live by payload and towing numbers then you canít waive the magic wand and say the truck canít or shouldnít be used if itís within specs.
moose074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 05:49 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinmb View Post
Just my opinion, getting a 1/2 ton to tow would be a much better choice. Size does matter when it comes to towing. I started off with a 2012 Escalade ESV towing a 2018 Apex 300BHS, long trailer weighing around 6500 lbs. We did 1800 miles or so between various trips. The vehicle did the job but never felt comfortable and that is with upgrades I did to the vehicle (Air springs to help the air suspension, colder T stat, large trans cooler). Now towing same trailer with 2500 Ram Cummins..day and night difference! Now we are shopping for a fifth wheel as we would like more overall space. Again a 1/2 truck for your situation would be a much better investment.
Agreed, half ton is a much better choice and we have been over that road. The dilemma is a Silverado ext cab is .5" longer than the garage stall-back wall to the inside of the garage door. He needs the cab space. Our son does not want to set $40K + out in the elements for 365 per year. He will be staying within the tow capacity for the Colorado and using it for short Midwest trips. It's kind of a trade off.
Old 09-01-2020, 06:37 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by amacgyver View Post
Hey Koz, My previous vehicle was a 2010 Chevy Traverse (just upgraded this season to a PathFinder), it was rated for a 5200lbs GVWR and a 10500 lbs GCVW ( as AlaskaErik mentioned ) the GCVW rating (combination weight of the trailer, tractor, passengers and cargo) is what you would exceed before all other specs of your TV. I used this set-up to travel the Rockies in Canada and had no issues, I did need to slow my assent up the mountains to about 70 KPH (45 MPH) to prevent overheating, but this was not an issue on the multiple lane highways and discovered later a lot of trucks have similar issues in the Rockies. I would suggest loading up your TV and Trailer with passengers and heading to a CAT scale to get accurate measurement of your set-up (it would be piece of mind as well). I did this and found my trailer weight fully loaded was 4040lbs (empty weight on sticker is 3170lbs) my GCVW was 10120lbs (about 380lbs to spare). I also have a WDH installed and use a Tekonsha P3 Brake controller. I was very happy with that set-up and it all handled excellent at highway speeds in all types of weather.

All that being said I'm surprised to see the newer Acadia has a smaller GVWR of 4000lbs as the Chevy Traverse, Buick Encore and GMC Acadia are all built on the same chassis strange that they lowered their Towing capacity, but maybe the GCVW is still the same? seems my Trailer would be over by 40lbs with the newer models
Not built on the same platform anymore. The Traverse is on the larger, older platform, while the Acadia moved to a shorter, smaller build in 2017. Traverse retains the 5200 lb tow limit, while the new Acadia is 4000.
MO2NC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow vehicle