Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2020, 05:30 PM   #1
Koz

Tow vehicle and rv

I have a tow vehicle and rv question for you all.
1. I have a 2018 GMC Acadia with the tow package. My max towing cap. is 4000lbs
My rv trailer weights apx.
3200 lbs. full.
2. Looking at upgrading to a GMC Canyon or Chevy Colorado. Both vehicles ( GMC and Chevy)
have a max towing cap. of 7000lbs. Both vehicles have the 3.6 6cyl.
Here is my question.
Will the GMC Canyon pull my rv trailer easier because of the larger towing cap.?
I do have a Anderson WDH on my Acadia. Should I upgrade to the Canyon or Colorado or keep my money.
Koz 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 06:35 PM   #2
Site Team

Recommend that you focus on Payload Capacity first, then towing capacity.
I'm assuming your TT is a single axle trailer, which makes payload capacity even more important.
I would hope that the trucks would have higher payload capacities than your Acadia.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 06:37 PM   #3

Not sure what configuration Canyon or Colorado you're looking at that will get you 7000lb tow capacity, but I have a 2016 Colorado Z71 with the 3.6L and the spec sheet says the towing capacity is 3500lb.

2019 Georgetown GT5 31R5 w/2016 Chevy Colorado Toad
Days Camped: 2017 - 45, 2018 - 52, 2019 - 70, 2020 - 32, 2021 - 16
Papaduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 06:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papaduck View Post
Not sure what configuration Canyon or Colorado you're looking at that will get you 7000lb tow capacity, but I have a 2016 Colorado Z71 with the 3.6L and the spec sheet says the towing capacity is 3500lb.
Depending on which trims you get capacity is between 3500 and 7000 .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 09:10 PM   #5

Forget about max tow rating and advertised tongue weight. Both are fairytale numbers. You will never get close to max tow rating without exceeding payload capacity, tongue weight limit and gross combined weight rating. Max tow rating is nothing more than a bragging rights number. Tongue weight will be several hundred pounds heavier than the number listed in the brochure. Even if you have a fairly light trailer, expect it to be at least 100 pounds heavier once you add propane, battery and cargo.

As was previously mentioned, payload capacity is the number to look at the hardest. And you need to look at the yellow sticker on the B pillar of the specific vehicle you're interested in. Brochure and internet numbers are irrelevant. There is a huge range in payload capacity between various vehicles in the same lineup. Base models tend to have higher payload numbers, while fully optioned models have lower payload capacity due to the weight of all the options. So look at the actual payload capacity of the actual vehicle you're interested in.

As for tow ratings, some vehicles have a significantly higher tow rating if equipped with a factory tow package. Others, like half ton pickups, have max tow packages that will increase tow capacity.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 09:41 PM   #6

According to tow standards in order for a vehicle manufacturer to get a tow capacity for a vehicle at least 10% of the weight of the trailer must be able to be on the hitch of the tow vehicle. It appears a vast majority have a payload of over 1200 pounds. So in this case op will probably run out of tow capacity BEFORE the trailer exceeds his payload. Especially since OP has state his rv is less than 4K.
I would compare overall numbers, rearend gearing the higher the better for towing, gearing in transmission, hp, and torque. I would assume your payload will be comparable. I am a truck guy, but you may not be and unless there is a great disparity in the numbers. You may not get what you are looking for in buying a truck
Old 06-28-2020, 10:17 PM   #7

Ignore the max towing capacity and focus on payload, it is usually the limiting factor. Post the yellow door tag of current rig and online info of payload capacity of TVs you are considering.
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:07 AM   #8
Koz

Thank you for the input.What I am hearing is it really will not make a difference if I upgrade to a 2020 GMC Canyon or 2020 Chevy Colorado with a 7000# towing capacity when pulling my trailer. I am a little confused ? WILL A NEW TRUCK MAKE PULLING MY TRAILER EASIER?
Old 06-29-2020, 07:49 AM   #9

Ah the never ending cycle, new tow vehicle leads to new camper, which leads to bigger tow vehicle, which leads to bigger camper, which leads to bigger tow vehicle, etc..

We have an Acadia with the v6 but have nerver tried to tow anything with it. I would not spend the money on a different tow vehicle if it was sized/powered the similar to the current set up. I doubt you will see significant improvments.

What is the "easier" you are looking for? Toungue weight, hill climb, etc?

If it were me and I was unhappy with the current set up, I would size a new tow vehicle with room to grow, I.E. moving to a full size 1/2 ton would easily let you move up to 5-6k camper.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:08 AM   #10
Koz

Thanks for the input. The easier I am looking for is driving in the mountains. We are going out west. Long distance driving.
Less stress on tow vehicle. Better gas mileage?
Old 06-29-2020, 08:10 AM   #11
Koz

Ah, I get it but how do I determine payload capacity?
Old 06-29-2020, 08:19 AM   #12
Brake is on left

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koz 65 View Post
Both vehicles have the 3.6 6cyl.
Here is my question.
Will the GMC Canyon pull my rv trailer easier because of the larger towing cap.?
I do have a Anderson WDH on my Acadia. Should I upgrade to the Canyon or Colorado or keep my money.
Keep your money unless going with the little diesel or little V8 in the Canyon. Just my $0.01 (the other penny got taken in taxes)
Weight of the TV. Both the Acadia and Canyon weigh about the same based on Car & Driver reports. The 3.6 puts out the same torque from 2018 to 2020. Regardless of the "tow capacity" published by GM, that engine will still have the same work to do. Upgrading to the more torquey 5.3 gas or incredibly strong 2.8 diesel will be an improvement. Both of those engines could reduce your cargo capacity a significant amount, so keep an eye on the payload sticker if you consider one.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:21 AM   #13

Behindbars is correct, I may not have stated it well but, if you don’t have a bad experience towing you may not feel you got your money worth. Based on the numbers we SHOULD be able to assume you are safe in that aspect.
So it comes down to performance
1) possible front wheel drive(Arcadia) verses definite rear wheel drive. Most prefer rear wheel but not all.
2) frame and wheel base they might be on same platform not sure.
3) gearing rearend and transmission speeds and gearing.
4) newer technology does the newer vehicle make more torque and hp. If it does is it enough to make a difference
Finally preference do I prefer the suv or truck.

Again I am a truck guy so I would go with a comparable truck over suv, but that’s me.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:22 AM   #14
Brake is on left

Quote:
Ah, I get it but how do I determine payload capacity?
Each vehicle will have a yellow loading decal on the door jamb or drivers door frame. Each vehicle is different (for the most part).
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 11:31 AM   #15

The mini truck chassis will handle the tow and tongue weight better, stiffer rear suspension. Maybe better rear axle ratio to get what power it has to the road better for towing.
For the price difference, similarly assessorized mini pickups to full size "half ton" trucks isn't that much more cost for a lot more towing capacity and load capacity. The less options, the more capacity.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 11:35 AM   #16
Koz

Thanks. I looked at 1/2 ton pick ups. I do not want a truck that big.
Old 06-29-2020, 11:40 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose074 View Post
According to tow standards in order for a vehicle manufacturer to get a tow capacity for a vehicle at least 10% of the weight of the trailer must be able to be on the hitch of the tow vehicle. It appears a vast majority have a payload of over 1200 pounds. So in this case op will probably run out of tow capacity BEFORE the trailer exceeds his payload. Especially since OP has state his rv is less than 4K.
I would compare overall numbers, rearend gearing the higher the better for towing, gearing in transmission, hp, and torque. I would assume your payload will be comparable. I am a truck guy, but you may not be and unless there is a great disparity in the numbers. You may not get what you are looking for in buying a truck
The trailer won't exceed his payload, but all the other stuff will. Once you, the spouse, the dog, the kids, the hitch and all the other stuff is loaded up, you've accounted for a good portion of your payload. Take that fully loaded weight and subtract it from the Gross Combined Weight Rating and you'll find that the remaining difference is much lower than that so-called max tow figure. My 2016 Silverado has an advertised max tow rating of 9100 lbs. Subtract that from the 15,000 GCWR and that means my truck can only weigh 5900 lbs. In reality, my truck is right at its 7200 lb GVWR when I head out on a camping trip. 15,000 minus 7200 equals 7800 lbs, which is my real max tow rating with a fully loaded truck. And there is no way I would even think about pulling a 7800 lb trailer with that truck. That would be a white knuckle drive. So unless the OP is driving alone, with nothing else in his vehicle, payload capacity is the number to watch out for.
Old 06-29-2020, 11:45 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerweps View Post
The mini truck chassis will handle the tow and tongue weight better, stiffer rear suspension. Maybe better rear axle ratio to get what power it has to the road better for towing.
For the price difference, similarly assessorized mini pickups to full size "half ton" trucks isn't that much more cost for a lot more towing capacity and load capacity. The less options, the more capacity.
When I bought my 2016 Silverado in June of 2016 I found that I could get a better price on a better equipped half ton than I could on a lower trim Colorado/Canyon. But price isn't the only consideration. Some people just don't want a full-size pickup due to garage size, parking, maneuvering, etc. I'm 6' 2" and the slightly smaller Colorado just wasn't roomy enough.

But I do agree that even a smaller pickup will be a much better choice for a tow vehicle.
Old 06-29-2020, 01:00 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
The trailer won't exceed his payload, but all the other stuff will. Once you, the spouse, the dog, the kids, the hitch and all the other stuff is loaded up, you've accounted for a good portion of your payload. Take that fully loaded weight and subtract it from the Gross Combined Weight Rating and you'll find that the remaining difference is much lower than that so-called max tow figure. My 2016 Silverado has an advertised max tow rating of 9100 lbs. Subtract that from the 15,000 GCWR and that means my truck can only weigh 5900 lbs. In reality, my truck is right at its 7200 lb GVWR when I head out on a camping trip. 15,000 minus 7200 equals 7800 lbs, which is my real max tow rating with a fully loaded truck. And there is no way I would even think about pulling a 7800 lb trailer with that truck. That would be a white knuckle drive. So unless the OP is driving alone, with nothing else in his vehicle, payload capacity is the number to watch out for.

I can’t argue with you in most instances, but ( not being rude) you start every post on the subject like it has been cut and paste from your previous response. In the OP post said his trailer was 3200 pounds. For easy math we can say load on truck 650 LB that would leave the op 700 pounds of stuff and family = 1350 which is below each of the posted numbers. It’s true don’t know the payload until you open door. It’s also true most half ton trucks will start in same area for payload. It’s also true that the op will find it hard to find the truck with the biggest tow capacity and smallest payload unless it’s the diesel.
Old 06-29-2020, 01:38 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks for the input. The easier I am looking for is driving in the mountains. We are going out west. Long distance driving.
Less stress on tow vehicle. Better gas mileage?
IMHO, YES a truck will be a better towing machine, compared to your Acadia. A truck is designed to tow, while an Acadia is not. It will be less stressed than the Acadia.
Forget better gas mileage, you're towing a barn door through the air. All gassers, big or small, will get a 9-11 mpg average.
We're just making you aware that when picking a new tow vehicle, you need to look at a few things, like payload.
Towing will be better with the truck but doubt you'll see any fuel mileage improvement. Maybe 1 mpg.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow vehicle