Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2020, 01:51 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
IMHO, YES a truck will be a better towing machine, compared to your Acadia. A truck is designed to tow, while an Acadia is not. It will be less stressed than the Acadia.
Forget better gas mileage, you're towing a barn door through the air. All gassers, big or small, will get a 9-11 mpg average.
We're just making you aware that when picking a new tow vehicle, you need to look at a few things, like payload.
Towing will be better with the truck but doubt you'll see any fuel mileage improvement. Maybe 1 mpg.
We also don’t know the shape of the OP’s trailer nor what gas mileage the Acadia currently gets towing, so assuming one will get 9-11 mpg with “all gassers, big or small” is just a big assumption. I easily average 13-14 mpg towing a box RV trailer behind a Ridgeline gasser.
Old 06-29-2020, 02:10 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koz 65 View Post
I have a tow vehicle and rv question for you all.
1. I have a 2018 GMC Acadia with the tow package. My max towing cap. is 4000lbs
My rv trailer weights apx.
3200 lbs. full.
2. Looking at upgrading to a GMC Canyon or Chevy Colorado. Both vehicles ( GMC and Chevy)
have a max towing cap. of 7000lbs. Both vehicles have the 3.6 6cyl.
Here is my question.
Will the GMC Canyon pull my rv trailer easier because of the larger towing cap.?
I do have a Anderson WDH on my Acadia. Should I upgrade to the Canyon or Colorado or keep my money.
Hey Koz, My previous vehicle was a 2010 Chevy Traverse (just upgraded this season to a PathFinder), it was rated for a 5200lbs GVWR and a 10500 lbs GCVW ( as AlaskaErik mentioned ) the GCVW rating (combination weight of the trailer, tractor, passengers and cargo) is what you would exceed before all other specs of your TV. I used this set-up to travel the Rockies in Canada and had no issues, I did need to slow my assent up the mountains to about 70 KPH (45 MPH) to prevent overheating, but this was not an issue on the multiple lane highways and discovered later a lot of trucks have similar issues in the Rockies. I would suggest loading up your TV and Trailer with passengers and heading to a CAT scale to get accurate measurement of your set-up (it would be piece of mind as well). I did this and found my trailer weight fully loaded was 4040lbs (empty weight on sticker is 3170lbs) my GCVW was 10120lbs (about 380lbs to spare). I also have a WDH installed and use a Tekonsha P3 Brake controller. I was very happy with that set-up and it all handled excellent at highway speeds in all types of weather.

All that being said I'm surprised to see the newer Acadia has a smaller GVWR of 4000lbs as the Chevy Traverse, Buick Encore and GMC Acadia are all built on the same chassis strange that they lowered their Towing capacity, but maybe the GCVW is still the same? seems my Trailer would be over by 40lbs with the newer models
Old 06-29-2020, 04:44 PM   #23

Send a message via ICQ to Cover Dog
I have a 2018 Colorado 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed V-6 8spd. and use it to tow a boat or as a toad behind our MH. I DO have a tow rating of 7000. Just Wanting to give you some numbers to play with. My payload capacity is 1378.

The boat/motor/trailer weighs 3300-3400 (34gal of gas) ready to fish. MPG local/highway combined is 25, up to 28 on highway alone, when towing it drops to 15, doesn’t have the wind resistance a TT will have. For a truck of this size the ride comfort is exceptional.

Hope this will help you in your search.

NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA #455593, WIT #170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 06:40 PM   #24

I have a 2015 Colorado Z71. Specs on it show it can tow 7000 lbs . I pull a 2018 Rockwood 2604WS dealer limited edition. I have had no problems with pulling it up and down the east coast from Florida to Maine. I get about 10 miles per gallon on average. 12 mpg in Florida. The Z71 package on the Chevy Colorado, or the equivalent package on the GMC Canyon is the way to go. Everything is upgraded.... it really is made to tow!!! And show! The handling is incredible whether towing or cruising!!
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:42 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose074 View Post
I can’t argue with you in most instances, but ( not being rude) you start every post on the subject like it has been cut and paste from your previous response.
I never cut and paste. Every response is tailored to that specific post, without referring to any of my previous posts. Apparently I'm very consistent in my responses.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 08:50 AM   #26

Having just gone through this tow vehicle search here are the "opinions" that I eventually developed.

Ford F150 w turbo v6, tows like a mother but you must trade in before you hit 80K, cause after it's a gamble.

Ford F150 V8 standard, pretty good but also has longevity questions

Dodge, great new, dump before you hit 100k

Chevy older - Great
Chevy newer, avoid - the cylinder shut down system is a disaster waiting to happen

So I ended up going with a Toyota Tundra, 10000 capacity and impossible to kill.

Again, these are my opinions developed from research.
slammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 01:26 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post
Keep your money unless going with the little diesel or little V8 in the Canyon. Just my $0.01 (the other penny got taken in taxes)
Weight of the TV. Both the Acadia and Canyon weigh about the same based on Car & Driver reports. The 3.6 puts out the same torque from 2018 to 2020. Regardless of the "tow capacity" published by GM, that engine will still have the same work to do. Upgrading to the more torquey 5.3 gas or incredibly strong 2.8 diesel will be an improvement. Both of those engines could reduce your cargo capacity a significant amount, so keep an eye on the payload sticker if you consider one.
The 5.3 gas is only available in the Silverado size truck. And yes, it is a good motor. The largest motor in the Coloarado/Canyon class is the 3.6 naturally aspirated V-6. For 2020 (and 2021), the LT (Colorado), SLT (Canyon) and above series have the 3.6 liter with 8-speed automatic. Lower models and the diesel use the 6-speed trans. Payload is 1,350 lbs and "advertised" tow rating of 7K lbs. The 4 cylinder turbo diesel is tow rated at 7.5K. Hitch weight at 500lbs? Trying to clarify transmission hill decent comes with what. However, in the ZR 2 series and above, the tow capacity drops to 5K lbs. The limits would have to be between the LT and ZR1 for the V-6, 8-speed trans and 7K towing. Those trim designations changed for 2021, but the stats area the same. The base model with the gas 4 cylinder also has lesser tow rating, but would not be a consideration for the OP.

If the OP chooses this route, make certain that the package also has the limited slip differential and trans decent mode. Also available are the tow package and integrated brake controller at about $250 each.Might also want to consider the long bed (LB) version. The LB is a foot longer in the box and chassis length. Longer wheel base, better towing, but may affect the payload. There are some benefits to a truck such as the separate box frame of the truck vs the uni-body, and suspension on the truck chassis is better for towing. Same motor unless going to diesel. With a diesel, better towing performance, but falls flat in regular driving performance, especially passing acceleration.

Whether you stay with the Arcadia or go with a Canyon/Colorado, the naturally aspirated motor is going to start chugging at altitude, especially when towing. Apparently, in 2023, GM will only offer only a 4 cylinder turbo in the Canyon/Colorado trucks. The naturally aspirated 4 and 6 cylinders and the turbo diesel will hit the sidelines.

Our son and I have been doing a lot of research on the Canyon and Colorado.
He is planning on a long bed version towing something around a 19'-21' TT. He is drawn to these two trucks because of tow capacity and that either will snug in his garage. A larger half ton would be better, but would have to be parked in the elements. It will be interesting to monitor the post.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 06:50 PM   #28

Have you looked into the Duramax in that class? I know they had a small duramax and that might be worth looking into. I just bought the 1500 with the duramax (first year) yeah? Yeah, yeah I know and I love it. I pull a small TT an rpod 179. I’m coming from a Tacoma and with the 1500 series with the duramax it’s unbelievable. I’ve seen some big TT behind the Canyons with the duramax and I’ve asked the driver and he said it pulls good. Plus you’ll get a bonus in fuel mileage, but a little higher maintenance cost.
Woody1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:23 PM   #29

I am going to get massacre for this but I have a 2020 Colorado Z71 towing a 3800 pound camper loaded. What I did when looking at a tow vehicle was in my head added a 1000lb to the dry weight of the camper then figured a 1000lb payload to the tow vehicle. This came out to be 2000lb less then my tow rating so I figured I was good to go. So far all has been great with the Colorado. But to be honest I have not had it in the mountains yet.
tpstropes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:56 PM   #30

You’re getting buried with valuable information regarding weight tolerances etc., but let me go back to your key question of whether either of the two new TV’s you have in mind would make towing your 3200 lb travel trailer any easier. Based on my experience with that size of 6 cylinder engine, I would say probably not, especially in the mountains. We towed a 3700 lb travel trailer with our Honda Pilot (3.6L 6cyl with full tow package), and that size engine really struggled towing that trailer in the New England mountains. I see that the torque of the 3.6 engine is rated a little higher than the Honda, but it doesn’t approach the torque of the Ford 6cyl ecoboost engine (which gets rave reviews for towing power). We had friends who towed a 3200 lb travel trailer in the Rockies with a Highlander (3.5V6) and said never again. I upgraded to a Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel. My friends upgraded to the Grand Cherokee V8. I read that both the Colorado and Canyon now come with V8’s, and if I was going to upgrade,I’d make that extra jump.
EmersonTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:56 PM   #31

Quote:
Thanks. I looked at 1/2 ton pick ups. I do not want a truck that big.
Take a look at the 2019 and 2020 Ford Rangers. Just received high ratings from Consumer Reports. I have a 2019 super crew with tow package. 1688 lbs payload on the door sticker. I tow a 28 ‘ Salem Cruise Lite and a Hensley sway WTD hitch. Loaded trailer weighs 6850 lbs, tonge wt at 750 lbs. That 4 cyl Ranger Turbo Echo boost and 10 speed trans pulls this trailer as well as a F150 V6 I had on a loaner and the Ranger fits in the garage. I have scaled at a Cat truck scale and fully loaded all axle weights are good and I’m at 11,300 CGVW, 700 lbs under Ranger max CGVW rating of 12,000. I’ve gone over Grapevine I-5 at 58 Mph and mileage is 13.2 when towing, 24-26 when not.
TomatoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 10:23 PM   #32

Ford ecoboost 3.5 pulling 8500 without a problem! F150.
DAHVGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 10:30 PM   #33

Quote:
Thank you for the input.What I am hearing is it really will not make a difference if I upgrade to a 2020 GMC Canyon or 2020 Chevy Colorado with a 7000# towing capacity when pulling my trailer. I am a little confused ? WILL A NEW TRUCK MAKE PULLING MY TRAILER EASIER?
Of course it will.

Do you NEED a bigger truck ? Prob'ly not.

The standard response here'bouts to ANY question is: "ya need a bigger truck"
Old 07-07-2020, 12:57 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmersonTT View Post
I read that both the Colorado and Canyon now come with V8’s, and if I was going to upgrade,I’d make that extra jump.
You cannot get a V8 in the Canyon/Colorado.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 07:15 AM   #35

Chevy Colorado towing

We tow a 2018 Palomino Real-Lite RL-181 with a 2018 Chevy Colorado Z-71 with a tow package. The Pal is 3200 lbs. I use a simple friction anti sway. I engage the " Tow Haul " mode and it does an outstanding job towing the Pal. We camp mostly in Southern Indiana which is very Hilly with no problems. We used to tow the Pal with a Chevy Trailblazer with the 4.2 inline 6 and I was afraid the 3.6 might not have the torque to do as well, but it actually does a lot better.
dsmiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 08:09 AM   #36

Long wheel base helps

Another thing to take into consideration is the wheel base. A shorter wheel base vehicle will have a tendency to get pushed around more when towing. The longer wheel base vehicles tend to be more stable. Hence less white knuckle driving.
shelkol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 08:56 AM   #37

I have had 2 Colorado’s, the first was a 2016 Z71 crew cab long bed diesel. It had a tow capacity of 7600lbs, but the payload was 1320lbs. It did tow great for a midsize truck, but the issues with the emissions were just not worth it.
I now have a 2019 Z71 crew cab long bed gas... 3.6l. This truck is rated for 7000lb. Max towing, but has a payload capacity or 1480 lbs., it tows fine but really doesn’t compare to the diesel.
FYI... I’m towing A Kodak 201Qb, loaded the weight is approximately 4800lbs.
Shaun Happison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 09:56 AM   #38

Quote:
Thanks for the input. The easier I am looking for is driving in the mountains. We are going out west. Long distance driving.
Less stress on tow vehicle. Better gas mileage?
As one who does a fair amount of driving on steep mountain pass roads, you may want to consider how much demand doing that will put on your TV. A couple of weeks ago we were headed up a road whose pass elevation is 8300ft (not especially high) with outside temp of 85* and the tranny temp was pushing 215*. Bear in mind I have a Chev. Silverado 1500 with the tow pkg. and a pretty light trlr (loaded = 3200#). The mountain roads of the west will test your TV.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:27 AM   #39

Quote:
Thanks for the input. The easier I am looking for is driving in the mountains. We are going out west. Long distance driving.
Less stress on tow vehicle. Better gas mileage?
https://www.beaverchevrolet.com/2020...wing-capacity/
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 10:49 AM   #40

Quote:
I have a tow vehicle and rv question for you all.
1. I have a 2018 GMC Acadia with the tow package. My max towing cap. is 4000lbs
My rv trailer weights apx.
3200 lbs. full.
2. Looking at upgrading to a GMC Canyon or Chevy Colorado. Both vehicles ( GMC and Chevy)
have a max towing cap. of 7000lbs. Both vehicles have the 3.6 6cyl.
Here is my question.
Will the GMC Canyon pull my rv trailer easier because of the larger towing cap.?
I do have a Anderson WDH on my Acadia. Should I upgrade to the Canyon or Colorado or keep my money.
I pulled a 2109S average weight was 5500lbs with a 2016 Canyon SLT. my payload is 1513lbs. Did this for one year before getting a f150 3.5 eco.
The truck will get the job done but in my opinion you will run out of engine before you run out of truck. Towing with the Eco is the exact opposite.
the off-road models are 5k tow rating unless it has changed, the diesel will do 7700lbs. If I remember correctly the max tongue weight with a WDH hitch is 900lbs on the Canyon SLT. I weigh every 3 or 4 trips and was never over weight on anything, but I am mindful of what I load in the truck and camper.
SquiggyFreud is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow vehicle