Old 06-05-2017, 03:12 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate99 View Post
LOL! Ohio has one fee for non-commercial, non-motorized travel trailers/fifth wheels. $24.50 gets everyone their plate. Half ton trucks are licensed as passenger cars.... 3/4 ton and up non-commercial are licensed as trucks. Simple!
So my Roo 23WS would cost me double in Ohio. I do get a royal screwing on my 2500HD with its 10K rating. Class 4 for $212 per year.

Do you not have legislators in Ohio pushing for a 300% hike in registration fees, with a corresponding supposed drop in fuel taxes paid based on miles traveled? One will never offset the other except on paper? A shell game lol.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 09:21 AM   #22
RetiredRVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
So my Roo 23WS would cost me double in Ohio. I do get a royal screwing on my 2500HD with its 10K rating. Class 4 for $212 per year.

Do you not have legislators in Ohio pushing for a 300% hike in registration fees, with a corresponding supposed drop in fuel taxes paid based on miles traveled? One will never offset the other except on paper? A shell game lol.
Actually, the bill that was passed included a $5 increase in registration fees for all vehicles. The loony state senator that proposed the 300% increase was shot down.... good news for all Ohioans!
2017 Coachman Chaparral 336TSIK Fifth Wheel
2018 AT 18 Alaska group
checkmate99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 09:54 AM   #23

Towing questions in Pennsylvania

In Illinois you register based on what weight you want to haul. Nothing to do with GVWR, it is about paying for the weight you want. There are different plates for different weight ranges. You will only be overweight if you actually weigh more than what you are registered for. You can register for less than GVWR if you want. As long as you never actually weigh more than that, you good to go legally. This applies to both trailer and tow vehicle. (Although trailer and tow vehicle are weighed together using their combined registered weights to determine overweight or not.)

Recreational Vehicles and recreational trailers have their own category though... and are much more owner friendly. No worries here.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 12:18 PM   #24
Who Dares, Wins

You can de-rate your truck here as well. Some will register their duelly f350 as a class 2 even though it should be a 5 or 6 lets say. Tag places and the auto dealers are not really supposed to go that far with it. I am a class 4a, I could have done a 3 but they should not allow me to do a 2 but they would have, they asked me. BUt, like you, you better not weight more than the class 2... Other wise big fines per pounds over,

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pennsylvania, towing