RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 01-17-2021, 09:09 AM   #1

Towing the Trailer in Snow

For you guys that feel the need to drive in snow and ice.

Notice how there is black for the tires, but not enough.

https://forum.loveyourrv.com/discuss...ns-on-trailers

2016 APEX 215rbk
2016 F-150 4WD 3.55 3.5l ecoboost
jwfrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 09:17 AM   #2

Ouch! Going downhill on ice perhaps?
Old 01-17-2021, 10:03 AM   #3

Was going to fast down hill for that truck and trailer.

What I see in most of these videos is a driver who is more concerned with the traffic behind them then they are with driving a safe speed.
quicky06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 10:17 AM   #4
D W

Just shakin' my head....

The preface for this video should read:

"This is how stupid we were on October 25, 2020"
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 10:46 AM   #5
Trailer Park Supervisor

I noticed from timestamp on dash cam that they were doing 35, which was was the curve advisory sign speed right before the crash. But they started building just a bit more speed, maybe 40 mph, right before loss of control. Between snow, curve, and hill, and just a bit too much speed.....Note to self, do not even THINK about towing RV in snow. Especially in a place like Utah.
Old 01-17-2021, 11:15 AM   #6

Got caught short by a freak Front Range storm while towing my fiver on the east side of Eisenhower Pass on I70 one November. Probably stupid of me to keep going, as I look back. But the storm was predicted to get worse up high, and I thought that as I lost altitude I would get a better road surface.

Put the flashers on, put it in four low and crawled down at maybe 10 mph -- one hand on the wheel, one hand on the trailer brake controller, one eye on the road, and the other on the mirror for the crazies barrelling past in the other lane. The snow abated lower down, and I made it into a KOA east of Denver just as the black ice formed.

Dont ever want to do that again...

Rich Phillips
richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 11:24 AM   #7

I traveled in the snow enough when I was trucking long haul. I will park it for a few days if I have to.
Old 01-17-2021, 11:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
I noticed from timestamp on dash cam that they were doing 35, which was was the curve advisory sign speed right before the crash. But they started building just a bit more speed, maybe 40 mph, right before loss of control. Between snow, curve, and hill, and just a bit too much speed.....Note to self, do not even THINK about towing RV in snow. Especially in a place like Utah.

Thatís a 40mph curve on a good sunny day with dry roads. Should have been going around half that if not slower.
quicky06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 11:53 AM   #9

Little kids in my car, wrecked truck and trailer upright just ran off the road, I don't stop to get myself killed. Glad they stayed upright after driving to fast.
Old 01-17-2021, 12:13 PM   #10

Towing an RV is harder than it sounds. You must have chains on the drive wheels of your TV and one axle of a trailer under chain controls.

I have avoided towing a trailer in snow most of the time because I have learned from late season fishing trips, that even towing a much lighter boat in the snow tends to want to pull your rear wheel of your TV to the outside of every curve.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 12:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicky06 View Post
Thatís a 40mph curve on a good sunny day with dry roads. Should have been going around half that if not slower.
I've driven on Cabbage Hill since the old highway was still in use. If I found myself HAVING to tow a travel trailer down that hill with snow and ice on the road I'd be in the right hand lane, flashers on, chains on both truck (even though it's 4Wd AND chains on one axle of the trailer. Speed? About 10 mph and in no hurry.

That said, only if I absolutely had to and no alternative was available.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 01:19 PM   #12

BUTTT! I have four wheel drive and a EKO BOOSTED 11.5 and china BOMBS for tires.

What could possibly go wrong.
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 01:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S.ArmyVeteran View Post
BUTTT! I have four wheel drive and a EKO BOOSTED 11.5 and china BOMBS for tires.

What could possibly go wrong.
You could be posting the next picture like the one at the start of the thread

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 01-17-2021, 02:14 PM   #14

You can't fix stupid! If you want to tear around a corner on slippery roads, think of someone else but yourself when you go out of control because of speed. Lucky there was no head-on crash involved. The least little amount of wind or ice can throw you out of control. I just shake my head as I see trailers and fivers traveling 80 MPH in rain during the summer. Of course, no lights on either. Some day the ditch will be your deserved friend to put a stop to you.
Old 01-17-2021, 03:38 PM   #15

Very unfortunate accident. Driving on ice can be tricky. I have 60+ years and hundreds of thousands of miles on ice every winter. Pulled trailers from Alberta to California in January many times. No mishaps or accidents.A few tips --- All equipment must be first class. No noise in your truck--Minimize talking--Crack the drivers door window open an inch or so so you can hear what your truck is doing.Pay attention to your driving 100% of the time. Gently steer and manoeuvre your truck on the road No abrupt moves. Look way down the road and anticipate, then gently accelerate and brake just dabbing the brake peddle even with anti-lock brakes if you need to. Driving Super Smooth is the word and leave cruz-control off all the time.Understand you must be able to see clearly at all times and you must be able to recognize what kind of ice you are driving on.Do not drive on black ice or in ice rain / heavy wind conditions etc. Dont over drive the conditions or your ability. Have fun stay safe. Rob
rjb16fq77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 04:48 PM   #16

speed

After retiring after almost 45 years of commercial fuel tanker driving, I can attest to the fact that SPEED was a huge factor in this accident! Also, it doesn't appear that he has chains on the tow vehicle - really big mistake there!

As most posters replied here, we are all on the same page that this driver should have been a lot more discerning as to the capability of his truck, his own decision to drive in this type of weather, experience driving in snow and/or icy conditions, and safety!

Hopefully this guy learned a very valuable lesson - an expensive one - will not attempt this again.

If someone reading this DOES need to tow in these conditions, hopefully you know to chain up the tow vehicle AND if traveling into deepening snow, put a set of chains, one tire on each axle staggering between the two axles. And slow down! A Motto I always told myself was - as long as the wheels are turning you are getting that much closer to the destination - no matter WHAT the speed!
AirDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 05:03 PM   #17
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Very unfortunate accident.
They stopped calling them 'accidents' in NJ, they are crashes. In nearly every single case, it is operator error. In this case, driving too fast for conditions. The only time ice or other hazards are blamed is if it so bad that every vehicle going around that curve crashed.
Old 01-17-2021, 05:34 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
They stopped calling them 'accidents' in NJ, they are crashes. In nearly every single case, it is operator error. In this case, driving too fast for conditions. The only time ice or other hazards are blamed is if it so bad that every vehicle going around that curve crashed.
A clue to the speed involved is the position and distance off the road where the trailer ended up. If traveling the proper speed for conditions it would probably just be sitting upright in the ditch.

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 01-17-2021, 08:35 PM   #19

I just drove that road the other day. Utah 20 is a 20 mile long crossover road that connects I-15 and US 89. It was dry as a bone on Wednesday.
2015 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.6L 4.10
2020 KZ 130RBSE
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 10:36 PM   #20

If you absolutely can't wait out the storm, chain up tow rig and one trailer axle before you need them. Drive slowly so you don't tear up the chains while dry. Then again slow when in the snow and ice. Black ice is scary, but as the roads start to clear up and chains are not required, the shaded side of curves, hill crests, and bridges will hold the ice longer.

Titan Mike mentioned Cabbage Hill in post #11. I was on that grade on I84 one night when I heard a young trucker on the CB say to an older driver that he thought he could go down the winding 6 mile 6% grade faster than they were traveling. The older one said "Years ago I decided I could go down this grade too slow my whole career. I could go down it too fast only once." Good advice in all adverse conditions.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
snow, towing, trailer