Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2016, 09:18 PM   #1

TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) To The Rescue!

So I know that TPMS's are popular with Class A owners as they have dually tires in the rear where sometimes you don't know you have a low or even flat tire due to the other tire supporting the load. But I see very, very few trailers (bumper pulls and 5th wheels) using them. I mean when you have a flat or dangerously low/high pressure you know it when towing a trailer right? Not necessarily.

So the other day we were on I-5 just north of Seattle, we had just resumed our trip after stopping for lunch. After about 10 minutes of driving I noticed that 3 of my 4 tires on my 5th wheel were building pressure just as they should be in that situation but why not the 4th tire? It just didn't seem right. So we pulled off into a rest area and I checked the visible tread of said tire but found nothing. I then asked the wife to slowly pull the vehicle forward so that I may inspect the rest of the tread that I could not see. After the tire rotated 3/4 of the way I saw it...a pretty shinny silver screw stuck firmly in the tire. Looked up the nearest tire center and there was a Discount Tire just a mile down the highway. They fixed it for free and we were delayed only 30 minutes. I'm convinced that if it wasn't for that TPMS we would have woke up the next morning at our campsite with a flat trailer tire and a long, long ways from any tire center.

Folks a TPMS is so worth it. There are many good systems out there and a lot of info on how to choose the right system for you. I highly, highly recommend using one.

Photo: That little black thing on the tire valve stem is the sensor that sends a wireless signal to a display in my truck. It tells me the pressure and ambient temperature of the tire.
2017 Cedar Creek Hathaway 36CK2
To My Wife: "Home is wherever I'm with you"
RJ Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 09:23 PM   #2

Great job.
You are the first to demonstrate that it does work and probably saved you a bunch of damage to your wheel skirting and possible more.

Are you sure you couldn't find a bigger bolt?
Wow you win there also.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 09:46 PM   #3

XPRESSER' First of all I'm very glad your tire issue turned out so well in your favor. But, I don't understand how you say "very, very few trailers (bumper pulls and 5th wheels) use TPMS.s. As I was reading the forum I think they are very popular amoung TT and 5'rs owners. You are very correct in that they are one of the best things to have.
HAPPY RVING!
2012 HD Street Glide
2008 Honda FSC600 Silver wing
hdmtnrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 10:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdmtnrider View Post
XPRESSER' First of all I'm very glad your tire issue turned out so well in your favor. But, I don't understand how you say "very, very few trailers (bumper pulls and 5th wheels) use TPMS.s. As I was reading the forum I think they are very popular amoung TT and 5'rs owners. You are very correct in that they are one of the best things to have.
HAPPY RVING!
Hi hdmtnrider! I was just stating what I've witnessed on trailers as I pass or get passed by them and in the campgrounds. The exact quote was, "But I see very, very few trailers (bumper pulls and 5th wheels) using them" meaning that's just been my experience thus far. This post was meant for those that have been on the fence regarding a TPMS or didn't think they need it at all. Sorry I wasn't more clear...it made sense in my head before I typed it out.
Old 10-09-2016, 10:09 PM   #5
Always Learning

Great post! I agree that TPMS are popular with forum goers but we are a small minority of RVers. I think Xpresser is right that many folks pulling trailers do not have have a TPMS.

For people who are still on the fence, here's more reading on the topic:
http://learntorv.com/how-and-why-to-...tire-pressure/
Old 10-10-2016, 07:44 AM   #6

Excellent post

One of the problems with trailers (or toads) is that you usually can't fell it when there is a problem, tire leaking, brake dragging, etc.

Several years ago, I had an axle break on a car tow dolly, I never felt a thump, or jerk or anything. I was merrily driving down the road when I noticed cars behind me all the sudden stopping and flames (sparks) coming out from under the toad. I have no idea why the axle broke, bearing seized??, don't know.

I since have added a TPMS to my Toad rear wheels and also the Dolly wheels. The TPMS may have saved me on a recent trip out west.

On a long descent into Globe AZ, I was getting a temperature alarm on my left dolly wheel. The tire temperature was just over 200 deg (temperature inside wheel) . The right wheel was hanging around 160.

We stopped to allow things to cool and see why the left was so much hotter than the right. I discovered that the left axle had a small grease leak, and the grease on the brake calipers was causing it to hang. The left brake pads were nearly worn out. The right pads looked like almost new.

What would have happened if I didn't have the TPMS warning on my dolly wheels?? I suspect at some point, the tire would have overheated and blown.

http://www.2001mirada.com/dolly-toad...g-system-tpms/

Old 10-10-2016, 01:40 PM   #7
Topspud

TPMS did not do its job!

Headed home yesterday from FL, DW was headed to the back when POP the outside duel blew, knocked of the wheel trim. TPMS did not show temp or pressure issues. Xpresser, glad yours worked for you. Contacting the manufacturer to find out hte issue. tires have less than 20,000 miles.
Topspud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 01:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspud View Post
Headed home yesterday from FL, DW was headed to the back when POP the outside duel blew, knocked of the wheel trim. TPMS did not show temp or pressure issues. Xpresser, glad yours worked for you. Contacting the manufacturer to find out hte issue. tires have less than 20,000 miles.

Yeah I've always figured that in situations like that, a sudden blowout, there isn't much a TPMS can do. I think most are aware that there is no way any type of system will be able to predict that a perfectly normal functioning and properly inflated tire will blow. Sorry that happened to you...I hear it's not rare
Old 10-10-2016, 01:55 PM   #9

A TPMS is on my list of upgrades for the start of next season. I have a Class C with 6 tires and I tow a Honda CR-V with another 4 tires. I am not sure how I would know I have a problem with the TOAD without a TPMS.
Old 10-10-2016, 02:01 PM   #10

I recently installed a TPMS on my Flagstaff and on the first trip afterwards, the alarm went off on I44 indicating a loss of pressure. I got off the road and found a tire losing from a piece of tin stuck in it. I got the tire changed using my trailer aid (I also recommend one of these) and feel that I saved my tire and quite possibly avoided damage to thr TT.
jjlgel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 02:31 PM   #11

TPMS

After getting our FR 2608ws in 2013 we went to a frog rally in Tucson AZ there we met Iggy and I have learned a great deal from his experience and one item was get a tpms. We got one that he recmmend which was a TST 507 well it can monitor up to 23 tires. The point is that over the last three and half years tpms has saved us twice in over 30,000 miles of traveling. As for notifying of a blow out well this tpms has a slow leak and a fast leak(blow out) alarm which will help to reduce damage as you will stop rig much faster after alarm goes off. Would not travel without it.and another item get a truck tire repair kit. And if you have a air compressor you can repair any flat along road . never leave home without them. Just saying.
Joe-Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 02:33 PM   #12

My TST TPMS prevented a potentially dangerous situation. On a very busy interstate in Texas my system alerted me that I was slowly loosing tire pressure. I was able to safely exit into a shopping mall and replace the tire. It was a screw. By the way I have about 25k, 2 long trips) on the original tires from China (Constancy??) Can't fault them but will replace them with D Rated before I tackle the ALCAN next summer. The TST folks are the best at customer support. Can't recommend them highly enough.
robbdrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 03:01 PM   #13

What brand TPMS do you have, you may have sold me on them? I like the small sensors!
Old 10-10-2016, 03:04 PM   #14

[QUOTE=hdmtnrider;1337490]XPRESSER' First of all I'm very glad your tire issue turned out so well in your favor. But, I don't understand how you say "very, very few trailers (bumper pulls and 5th wheels) use TPMS.s. As I was reading the forum I think they are very popular amoung TT and 5'rs owners. You are very correct in that they are one of the best things to have.
HAPPY RVING![/QUOTE

2X. Besides it gives me something to play with while DW is driving.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 03:05 PM   #15

TST --Tire System Technology. Don't get the flow through sensor. Sticks out to far off the tire stem.
Old 10-10-2016, 03:07 PM   #16

Actually its DW job to monitor the pressure and heat temps
Old 10-10-2016, 03:25 PM   #17

Love them very cheap security.
windowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 03:42 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karter View Post
What brand TPMS do you have, you may have sold me on them? I like the small sensors!

I have the EEZTIRE 8 Sensor system. My truck doesn't have a built in TPMS thus the 8 sensors. Great customer service and if you don't want to bother programming the unit yourself, just pay an extra $10 for their "TPMS Programming Service" and they will program all the sensors, label them and send you a diagram showing which tire receives which sensor. You just have to supply them with your tire info. The sensors come in an anti-theft outer housing but I took the sensor out of those and it produces the smaller sensor profile. A good video by David Bott about this system here: https://youtu.be/BGho49k9hDE

I hear good things about the TST system that robbdrell has as well.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:00 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowman View Post
Love them very cheap security.
Yes peace of mind...so nice to know your tires are ok and wheels, hubs, and bearings are as well
Old 10-10-2016, 04:17 PM   #20

Congratulations, and continued safe travels.
RLHAMILTON is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pressure, tire