Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2013, 01:23 PM   #1

trailer dolly

Has anyone used a trailer dilly to move TT into a tight spot. What do you have of use for this
Any battery operated or does a manual one work just as good
campfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:29 PM   #2

When I store my 28ft travel trailer in my dad's warehouse, I use a 3 ton floor jack under the hitch to move it into the place it goes. Keep in mind this is inside on very smooth, level concrete. I wouldn't do this outside where the wind might use the TT as a sail or anywhere that is not perfectly level. I always have at least one other person helping me move it as well.

2004 Surveyor SV 261T
2011 Nissan Armada
sself1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:33 PM   #3

I've seen the powered version used in a local boatyard, and thought of asking to "borrow" one to try out before buying one. I have lots of room in my back yard, but it's a bit of a tight manouver to get the TT there, made more difficult by the overall length of my truck. I also thought about using my Jeep to get the TT into it's winter resting spot, but it would WAY overload it, so I haven't yet tried it.....

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:37 PM   #4

I think electric versus manual depends on the size of the TT, slope, and your back. I had an electric one for a while that I sold for a fund raiser and did a bit of research. This one was 110 v and had a switch to activate the electric brakes. Capable of moving about 7000 lbs or more. I would have kept it but my TT at. the time was small and I had a special driveway built to park it already. If I had a larger TT with tight parking, I would look for another one like it.
coupevillefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:43 PM   #5

Coupville. Do u remember the brand and how much pais for it
campfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:02 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by campfun View Post
Has anyone used a trailer dolly to move TT into a tight spot. What do you have of use for this
Any battery operated or does a manual one work just as good
You will also find that a tandem axle trailer is a real bearcat to turn manually.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by campfun View Post
Coupville. Do u remember the brand and how much pais for it
Yes. It was donated and I sold it for about $400. Here is the link: Power Caster, electric trailer mover dolly, boat dolly, toy hauler
coupevillefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:28 PM   #8
Explorer

I love ours

I use a120V for our 4000lb boat; we have a couple small tight/strategic maneuvers on a slight up hill to get it in the back yard. I can now move my trailer very simply by myself, mine is very slow and that’s good.
I know someone made mention of the tandem axle and that does make it tougher with turns. We went from a single axle to a tandem axle and if the last movement on the trailer is a tight turn the trailer will try to straighten its self to relieve tension between axles.
We have had ours for 12 yrs with the only issue being the bolt on handle would come loose and break(4 bolts in 10yrs and always loosened). I finally welded it with a couple gussets added and now its stout , no more bolts.
I use an offset-bolt-on –frame bracket because of a beautification strip of river rock down the middle of our drive way. Moving a trailer from the tongue with a ball would be more maneuverable. I bought ours from a company outside of LA(Ca) found them on the internet but I have seen them in RV magazines. When I called he helped me pick the right model(3 pneumatic wheels/ ½ hp motor) with the correct gearing(something like ¼ ml/hr or slower) based on what I had and what I was trying to do with it(moving 60 ft total). I think mine is robust and functional but not fancy and as I recall it was $750, 12 years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ElecMov_web.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	28236   Click image for larger version

Name:	ElecMovBrac_web.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	28237  
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote