Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2017, 07:52 PM   #1

Trailer Issues

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum and I am trying to get some assistance. The wife and I recently upgraded to a 2017 312QBUD about three weeks ago. We placed our trailer on our land and noticed some finish issues(fire extinguisher came off the wall, a molding pulling away, a screw for the blinds pulled out, and the stairs for the bathroom are rusting under the paint) Figured I would deal with it and make repairs. On our last day of our first use, we were getting our black tank pumped out and realized it had been leaking the whole time. Needless to say, everything solidified in the tank. Six hours later and having to remove the toilet, we were able to clear the tank. While doing this I discovered that all the metal underneath is rusting. I reached out to the selling dealer and it took a week to get a solid response. I've reached out to Forest River via email and phone for over a week now and received no response. Can anyone help me to get in touch with someone from Forest River that may aid in getting my trailer repaired. at this point I feel that I will not have a trailer for the rest of the season. Thanks in advance.
Bob Byrnes
rbyrnesjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 08:10 PM   #2

Hi Bob,
Congrats on your new rig and welcome to the forum.
The repairs you have mentioned, unfortunately are not uncommon with the exception of the black tank issue.
You said it had been leaking all along? Was the valve closed completely?
Where was the leak that caused the brown pyramid of death?
As far as rusting, that is what metal does with a minimal coating of paint from Forest River. Many here have wire brushed and recoated the metal with
Rustoleum. Depending on where / when the trailer was delivered, it may have encountered salt along the way?
I do not have direct numbers to Forest River, but most here say unless you go to Goshen, the factory refers you back to your selling dealer.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 08:10 PM   #3

Who is your dealer?
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 08:18 PM   #4

crunchman12001: We were only in the trailer for a week(maiden voyage). It was the first time we emptied the tank. We noticed an odor and the ground was wet so it was leaking the whole time. As far as the rust, I parked it next to a 2016 that is used in the same area and they didn't have an ounce of rust. The service adviser pointed it out to me.

Wobbles: Parkview Rv Smyrna, DE.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:30 PM   #5

The service adviser from your selling dealer noticed the rust? What were his impressions / comments?
For the black tank issue, sounds like you have a issue with liquid waste leaking on the ground which would indicate a crack in piping or the tank itself. It could also be a bad pipe connection.
You will need to have a mobile tech come out or take it in for repairs. I was hoping it was a valve issue which is relatively easy to repair.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:35 PM   #6

He gave me the impression that there shouldn't be rust. Seems to be a valve issue. I brought it to the dealer yesterday. Took the day from work. Three hours to my campsite. 45 minutes to the dealer. Kills me that I bought new because I was starting to have minor issues with my old trailer. Now I have a payment and a trailer that I probably won't see for the season. Fun times.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:45 PM   #7

I feel ya, I am going through issues with my new rig too. I had the dealership service tech come out the first time, now I am having the dealer just send me parts so I can fix them myself. (2 hours to my dealer and a day of work for the tech to meet me at my seasonal site)
My punch list was 33 items long. I got those repaired and now the kitchen faucet leaks. They are sending me out a new one. (I need to send pics of the leak and faucet for the warranty approval)
Good times for sure but once we work the bugs out, it's all good.

PS, have the dealer address the rust issue while at the dealership.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchman12001 View Post
I feel ya, I am going through issues with my new rig too. I had the dealership service tech come out the first time, now I am having the dealer just send me parts so I can fix them myself. (2 hours to my dealer and a day of work for the tech to meet me at my seasonal site)
My punch list was 33 items long. I got those repaired and now the kitchen faucet leaks. They are sending me out a new one. (I need to send pics of the leak and faucet for the warranty approval)
Good times for sure but once we work the bugs out, it's all good.

Hey they have great popcorn from the shop by the falls. I was out there last year for a wedding.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:09 AM   #9

Yes, the Popcorn shop is very popular. Nice view of the falls down the walkway.
Keep us posted on you black tank repairs.

Tags
trailer