Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2015, 02:12 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobm253 View Post
We collect our trash in a tall kitchen bag under the sink. When it's full, we take it outside and dump it on our fellow campers site when they're gone or not looking, preferably at night. You'd be surprised how much money we've saved on bags and needless trips to the dumpster. This last year we've only used two bags all season. Besides, I've always heard that garbage is good for the soil.

just kidding - we do use the dumpster when the bag is full.
Not to mention all the wildlife you get see

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 02:54 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene and Pam View Post
Lol....trash talkin" today, eh?
We use a compact stainless steel step trash can, placed in the kitchen area on the floor below the pantry in a space left vacant when the kitchen slide is out. Looks nice, convenient, out of the way. It has an inner liner bucket which can be easily rinsed out. We place it in the shower when in transit. Didn't want to use "real estate" under the sink--prefer to use that space for coffee maker, nesting pots & pans, dish pan & soaps, etc. With our 2 big dogs, this type of container works really well: our food hounds can't raid the trash can! The small size is an advantage as it prompts us to empty it daily, so less chance of problems with flies and ants (and odors)
x2 for us
We have to walk the greyhounds so we walk to the dump...the perfect place to take poop bags too!
pennypoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 05:43 PM   #23

WayneLee. Don't know who invented the undercounter w/ outer access door but my 2007 ALFA had that setup and boy was it ever convenient. Love our newer Charleston but sure miss the easy trash system. 😎🦃 Happy Turkey Day !!!
MrLucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 06:33 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
How do you manage your trash while you are camping?

We have a trash can under our kitchen sink and we keep a collapsible 30 gallon trash can with large bag under our curbside slide out. When the kitchen trash gets full, we put it in the outside trash can. All trash from outside and meals goes into the outside trash can. We only take the outside trash bag to the dumpster when it is full or if it is foul smelling.

How do you do it?

Bruce

Guess it really depends where we are staying. We have a trash can under the sink in kitchen and one in the bath. Once they are full we simply place the bags outside the camper by our number post and the garbage truck picks it up (Trash OUTSIDE and this is park POLICY) if we are staying at one site we like to stay in Ga. We also have a outside trash can that we place a bag in and when it gets full we take it to the dumpster provided by the Park if we are staying at a park we like close to home. The park we are in at the moment i am writing this post provides a 2" od stainless steel shepherds hook 5' off the ground to hang a trash bag. So see, many different ways but only you can decide what is best for you. Happy camping.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:55 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg4gfv View Post
Guess it really depends where we are staying. We have a trash can under the sink in kitchen and one in the bath. Once they are full we simply place the bags outside the camper by our number post and the garbage truck picks it up (Trash OUTSIDE and this is park POLICY) if we are staying at one site we like to stay in Ga. We also have a outside trash can that we place a bag in and when it gets full we take it to the dumpster provided by the Park if we are staying at a park we like close to home. The park we are in at the moment i am writing this post provides a 2" od stainless steel shepherds hook 5' off the ground to hang a trash bag. So see, many different ways but only you can decide what is best for you. Happy camping.
The pole you are thinking is a trash bag holder is actually to hang a lantern from.

2021 Cedar Creek 37MBH
2020 F350 Powerstroke Super Duty Lariat Crew Cab
Northern NJ - God Bless America!
dieselbobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 07:59 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselbobcat View Post
The pole you are thinking is a trash bag holder is actually to hang a lantern from.
And a trash bag as everyone else in the campground @dieselbobcat
Old 11-24-2015, 08:00 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselbobcat View Post

That makes more sense.

2015 RAM 3500 CCSB CUMMINS
2016 Sabre 36QBOK
Old 11-24-2015, 08:17 PM   #28

Thanks to those that recycle whenever possible
Daily trip to the trash bin solves most problems
kenenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:00 PM   #29

We have two 13 gal. cans under our sink. One for trash and the other for recycles. We usually depend on dumpsters but we boondock with a metal trash can that has been coon proofed with chains I bolted on(we don't have bears where we camp). We always recycle we will carry it home before we would just throw it in the trash. We never keep trash or cans outside period.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:31 PM   #30
Done with this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipeman View Post
All burnables are burned in the campfire after it might be used for cooking over. Most food leftovers are burned also including bones. The fires do burn up everything. No smell either unless somebody left a piece of plastic in their garbage to burn.
Say it ain't so!!!!!

Most campgrounds around here frown big time on this... Who wants to come behind and cook over burned garbage?

I'm a little too truthful, I guess.
Y'all have fun in "Fantasy Land".
4mula1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:36 PM   #31

our new Forest River Surveyor 5th wheel also has a "hidden trash in the kitchen, built into a swing out door under the kitchen cabinet (they even included the actual trash can that fits it) when it's full, we take the bag out to the truck bed and from there to the campground dumpster. we camp where there are animals such as skunks, bear and such so absolutely no out door trash storage. and it's prohibited where we camp at. and even if it weren't no way do I want an upset skunk out side my camper. common sense used
ValMelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:53 PM   #32

We do the same process as the OP... But we take the big bag to the dumpster nightly no matter how much is in it.

2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Tundra 5.7 CrewMax
Old 11-25-2015, 07:40 AM   #33

Dump kitchen and bath daily to get rid of coffee grounds. Place bags by cg rules either in cans or dumpster. Pomerain puppy likes the extra walk to wherever, the longer the walk the better. Carry recycles, mainly water bottles home, and place in county recycle center.
Days camped in FR 2011-12 = 77, 13-14 = 98, 15-16 = 129
17 = 81, 18 = 44, 19 = 83, 20= 45, 21 = 76, 22 = 57, 23 = 42
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 08:07 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobm253 View Post
We collect our trash in a tall kitchen bag under the sink. When it's full, we take it outside and dump it on our fellow campers site when they're gone or not looking, preferably at night. You'd be surprised how much money we've saved on bags and needless trips to the dumpster. This last year we've only used two bags all season. Besides, I've always heard that garbage is good for the soil.

just kidding - we do use the dumpster when the bag is full.
X-2 or throw it out of the truck on the way out of thr campground
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 08:18 AM   #35

We have a covered hole in the counter top which has the large size garbage receptacle under. I put a regular garbage bag to line the receptacle. The receptacle can be accessed from the outside so the whole process is painless.

I just have to remember to tell my wife not to throw something down the opening while I am changing the bag. There is also storage for extra bags etc at the access door so the whole process is pretty painless.

2004 Ford F550 6l Lariat SuperCrew, Fontaine Bed,
Link Systems Air Ride
2011 Sterling 32RL with Michelin XPS tires
extremebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 09:23 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremebike View Post
We have a covered hole in the counter top which has the large size garbage receptacle under. I put a regular garbage bag to line the receptacle. The receptacle can be accessed from the outside so the whole process is painless.

I just have to remember to tell my wife not to throw something down the opening while I am changing the bag. There is also storage for extra bags etc at the access door so the whole process is pretty painless.
We have the same arrangement in our Wildcat MAXX. It really isn't rocket science, you WALK to the campground refuse container WITH your bag of garbage when the bag is full!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 11:09 AM   #37
Steelhorzz

Household trash goes into the 13 gal container under the sink. When full, I walk it over to the dumpster at the park. Recycling, (cans and plastic), I have a small cloth bath on a hook behind the bathroom door. When that fills up, I move it into a 30 gal plastic bag in the front storage area under my coach. Recycling goes home with me. Long trips I might have 2 or 3 bags of recycling. Just more $$ for me when I get home. 👍
Blue Ox Tow System / U.S. Gear Unified Tow Brake
Steelhorzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 06:37 PM   #38
RV Vagabond Jerry

I am thinking about getting a trash compactor for my motorhome - has anyone tried that?
Jerry Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 06:49 PM   #39

Just stomp on the bag harder. Dump trash daily--why the extra weight, cost, hassle of a compactor??
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote