Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2012, 01:44 PM   #1

Travel Advice

I am planning a trip from basically Kansas City to Washington DC. I was wondering if anyone had any experience traveling that direction and particularly if there would be any trouble pulling 27 foot Salem 27RKSS with 2010 F150 that direction? ie. Steep grades etc.

Any help would be greatly be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Dave.
damootz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:59 PM   #2

Hey Mootz Family,
Welcome to the forum. We're just south of you a bit outside of Harrisonville, MO. Haven't made the trip you are talking about but need to sometime. My brother lives in DC. Just wanted to say hello and welcome.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:46 AM   #3

I have driven with a loaded pickup and SUV from DC area to western IL a few times, but not with anything in tow. Traveled I-70, I-76 and I-80. Never had any issues and only a few long grades that I recall.

You may be using I-40/I-70 or I-64/I-71 and I'm not familiar with those routes, but there will always be a few mountain grades to go up/down on most cross country highways. I would think you would be fine, especially under 65mph. The headwinds and crosswinds will be the challange for anyone towing a brick like our trailers...lol.

Safe travels.
RoadDog66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:41 PM   #4
MI Camperz

Stop in Springfield, IL and see the incredible start of the art Lincon Museum (even has hyroglyphics) and other Lincoln historical sites. When heading NE, take in Amish country in Indiana or Ohio..very peaceful and Great Food! When in PA, go to Gettysburgh...site of the bloodiest civil war battle and now infamous Gettysburgh address. When in Washington, do everything Lincoln. Can you tell I'm a Lincoln fan? Enjoy your trip...it should be a gorgeous one!
Bodzcampers
bodzcampers is offline   Reply With Quote