Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2019, 07:39 PM   #1

Travel Advice for Northern Oregon

I am planning on traveling the last week of August, 2019, from Colorado to Cannon Beach, OR. My travel route between Idaho and the Oregon coast right now is via I-84 along the Northern Oregon border. It looks like the fastest route. However, I have just recently been told that traveling on I-84 along the Columbia Gorge while towing a TT may be risky due to high winds in the Gorge.

Can anyone advise, if they have taken this route in late summer, if the winds are an issue while towing a TT?

Thanks, DOTSOS
Dotsos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:59 PM   #2

Live in East Portland about a mile outside the gorge.

I don't think you'll have any issues driving I84 in August. It's an easy drive and often has lots of good scenery.

If it was winter we might be having a whole different discussion. Currently lots of snow and ice and portions of the freeway are closed.

Everyone is good at something... I happen to be a good bad example.
Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:16 PM   #3

Appreciate your reply, this definitely helps in making our decision.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:49 PM   #4

Wind can be severe in the gorge but I certainly wouldn’t avoid the area because of that possibility. And if you do encounter some wind, you will be driving into it as it comes up the gorge from west to east, which I prefer way more than a cross wind!

Be sure to take the time to stop a Multnomah Falls!
Old 02-12-2019, 07:04 PM   #5

Thanks for your reply and appreciate the sightseeing tip.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:32 AM   #6

Travel Advice for Northern Oregon

As Oregon said you’ll be fine coming through the gorge. Boardman Oregon has a nice RV park. Also, Hood River is a fun town.

Do your best to plan your time through Portland trying to make it through there before 3pm as traffic can be a bear.
2013 Cardinal 3030RLS - sold
jtaylor1920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:55 AM   #7

Appreciate your comments and especially about the Portland traffic. Great tip..
Old 02-13-2019, 04:55 AM   #8

I live in the Gorge and travel I-84 every time I go somewhere. The wind can be a pain but it follows the gorge, so you are either being pushed by it front or back, not so much side to side if that makes sense. It will be hot and windy in August, we are a windsurfer/kite boarding Mecca in the summer months. As you pass The Dalles and Hood River you will see them out carving up the river. Really amazing to watch sometimes. I’m at the Oregon coast every other month for a long weekend. Have a great trip!
closedquestion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 05:00 AM   #9

Currently we have about 18” of snow on the ground. Not a pleasant drive this time of year. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1587.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	232.8 KB
ID:	196700
closedquestion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor1920 View Post
As Oregon said you’ll be fine coming through the gorge. Boardman Oregon has a nice RV park. Also, Hood River is a fun town.

Do your best to plan your time through Portland trying to make it through there before 3pm as traffic can be a bear.

If you like antique automobiles/motorcycles and/or airplanes, WAAAM is a must see in Hood River.

Home - Western Antique Aeroplane & Automobile Museum
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 03:04 PM   #11

Thanks for your comments and WOW that is a lot of snow. Good luck
Old 02-13-2019, 03:19 PM   #12

While in Cannon Beach, be sure to check out Short Sand Beach (Smuggler Cove) about 15 minutes south. It will blow your mind.
Tom Langley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:17 PM   #13

Thanks Tom, will definitely go there.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:30 PM   #14
Dahagen

Hey Dotsos, no one mentioned that if you are in the Denver area, take I-25 to I-80 at Cheyenne, then I-80 to I-84 between SLC and Ogden. I would (and do) avoid I-70 in an RV. If you use I-70 you have to go through SLC (a real mess) to get to I-84.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:57 PM   #15
danielj464

Send a message via MSN to danielj464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotsos View Post
I am planning on traveling the last week of August, 2019, from Colorado to Cannon Beach, OR. My travel route between Idaho and the Oregon coast right now is via I-84 along the Northern Oregon border. It looks like the fastest route. However, I have just recently been told that traveling on I-84 along the Columbia Gorge while towing a TT may be risky due to high winds in the Gorge.

Can anyone advise, if they have taken this route in late summer, if the winds are an issue while towing a TT?

Thanks, DOTSOS
Winds can happen at any time in the gorge, but there are also two other places to be concerned about: the east side of the Blue Mountains out of LaGrande is a long pull, but the west side is steep and dangerous with a few run offs to help. Keep it in low gear.
danielj464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 07:57 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahagen View Post
Hey Dotsos, no one mentioned that if you are in the Denver area, take I-25 to I-80 at Cheyenne, then I-80 to I-84 between SLC and Ogden. I would (and do) avoid I-70 in an RV. If you use I-70 you have to go through SLC (a real mess) to get to I-84.
I am in the Denver suburbs. That's a good route you mention, thanks
Old 02-13-2019, 07:58 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj464 View Post
Winds can happen at any time in the gorge, but there are also two other places to be concerned about: the east side of the Blue Mountains out of LaGrande is a long pull, but the west side is steep and dangerous with a few run offs to help. Keep it in low gear.
Will do. Thanks
Old 02-13-2019, 08:22 PM   #18

Dotos, We don't know what you're tow vehicle and trailer set up is or where in CO you are. My thought is that if you have towed around the front range without trouble and can survive the ID winds, (kidding just gotta share the concern) you will be fine in OR. With a good WDH and sway control, if your set up needs them, adjust your speed as needed, use your experience on grades, pay attention to your mirrors, and enjoy the view. It'll be a beautiful trip that time of year.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:07 PM   #19

We have stayed at Portland Fairview RV Park several times, just east of the city of Portland and very near I-84 exits. Easy access to the city and to local farmers markets, and other attractions.

I-84 is an easy drive along the Columbia River and features lots of interesting sights to visit. Last summer we did a guided tour of the Bonneville Dam and the fantastic measures they have taken to allow the native salmon to travel up- and down-stream.

Also, while in the area, try to visit the Maritime Museum in Astoria, climb the Astoria Column, and see, the "Goondocks", the home featured in the movie "The Goonies".

Then down the coast, stop to take a tour of the Tillamook Cheese Factory.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:18 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotsos View Post

Thanks, DOTSOS
Get Vaccinated.
Timan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel