Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2018, 01:32 PM   #1

Travel from Jackson, Wyoming to Yellowstona NP

Hi, we're taking a trip this year and one route will be from Jackson, Wyoming to Yellowstone NP. My question is: Google maps and Roadtrippers will not route from Jackson, Wyoming to the NP using 191 north. I would like to know if anyone has driven this in a (26') Motorhome or why we shouldn't? The route looks good as far as I can tell, and we have been from Yellowstone to the Grand Tetons NP from the north in a car (good road) We plan on leaving Yellowstone and going to Cody Wyoming from there. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 01-07-2018, 02:09 PM   #2

I have pulled more than one camper that way. I pull a 35ft fifth wheel now. I use rvparksandcampgrounds and I can follow the road with that apps
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 03:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tandem54 View Post
Hi, we're taking a trip this year and one route will be from Jackson, Wyoming to Yellowstone NP. My question is: Google maps and Roadtrippers will not route from Jackson, Wyoming to the NP using 191 north. I would like to know if anyone has driven this in a (26') Motorhome or why we shouldn't? The route looks good as far as I can tell, and we have been from Yellowstone to the Grand Tetons NP from the north in a car (good road) We plan on leaving Yellowstone and going to Cody Wyoming from there. Any advice would be appreciated.
Millions of visitors get to Yellowstone from the Tetons via 191 in all kinds of vehicles that make yours a dwarf; it's the only road in. Get on the hwy and drive north when you get into Yellowstone follow the big signs to turn right to get to Cody.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 08:48 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Many mapping apps won’t allow you to use certain routes during the winter when the roads are closed. This may be the case.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 11:07 AM   #5

Thank you for all the reply's. I figured it was a good road but didn't make sense with no routing.
Old 01-08-2018, 02:36 PM   #6

Yeah...it is definitely a good road and both easier to drive and shorter than any other route. You'll also pass Grand Teton NP on the way and if you aren't already stopping for that out of Jackson...suggest you try to do that. Colter Bay Campground there is very nice if you can get a spot.
Sorry...can't help you personally with the Cody drive but lots here have done Rt. 14 & you can probably find comments using search. We exited out of the west entrance which was just plain easy.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 02:59 PM   #7
Insert witty title here

We did this drive while towing a 36' TT with zero problems. You will be fine.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 03:07 PM   #8
Director, FROG

The Rockefeller Parkway, taking you from Grand Teton NP to the entrance to Yellowstone NP is an easy drive used by tens of thousands if not more each year. We've taken it in both directions with no issues towing a car behind a DP.

The only other options are the west, east, north, and northeast entrances to Yellowstone, all of which would require that you circle much of the park on far less friendly routes.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 03:13 PM   #9

This isn't an answer to your question, but a comment on map apps not showing certain routes or not being able to find certain cities. My experience on things not found is summer time travel in the rockies.

We've learned the hard way that:

1. Google Maps cannot map to every city you want to go to.
2. Google Maps, when it "gets lost" and doesn't have cell connection, is just plane LOST. Cannot even stay on the previous route.
3. WAZE is worse. When it gets lost, it is "toast."
4. GARMIN does not include all U.S. cities. In some cases, GARMIN gets lost and stays lost.

We carry and simultaneously use GARMIN and our cell phones (Google Maps and other). I particularly like GARMIN when traversing interstates in cities.

We also carry our retro equipment: Paper maps.

The most complete road atlas we've used is Roads of Texas. It shows interstates to allies through oil fields (don't go there).

When traveling extensively in other states we carry an atlas of that state.

When we have state maps or U.S. region maps available, my navigator (wife) has that state's paper map handy.

When researching alternate routes, paper maps are much easier and quicker to use and are always more reliable than our electronic devices.

I'll keep my GARMIN and my wife will keep her Google Maps and other travel apps, but we will also always carry paper maps.
Old 01-08-2018, 03:24 PM   #10

Can you recommend a campground near Jackson?

I know it's a bit off topic, but can you guys recommend a campground near Jackson, Wyoming? We're hoping to make the trip in June or July.
Barneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 03:26 PM   #11

As all have said, that route from Jackson to Yellowstone is suitable for any RV. Its also a beautiful drive, but be forewarned, expect a lot of traffic, especially in the summer. There's a decent campground with full hookups at Flagg Ranch, which is located between the north boundary of Grand Teton NP and Yellowstone. It was a bit rough when we stayed there a few years ago, but has reportedly undergone a major renovation.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 04:01 PM   #12

We were on 191 last year from Jackson to Yellowstone south entrance last year in 28 foot coachmen with a tow dolly; good road and pretty drive. I suspect that Google maps does not show the route in the winter due to closure of at least portions in winter.
Old_hippies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 04:27 PM   #13

Makes me wonder.

Having lived near there the roads in the park are not open now. Except to Snow machines.

I also wonder if paying to get in the park influences that as well?

As I remember passing thru the park in nice weather would be very slow. There is constant traffic/bear/moose,buffalo etc jams. Expect average speed in the low teans at best.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 04:29 PM   #14

Ditto on Colter Bay campground in Grand Teton NP. We were there in September. We passed thru Jackson and if we had wanted to stop, we would not have been able to find a parking spot. We couldn't even get in to any of Yellowstone campgrounds except for last minute cancellations. I would urge you to make reservations now. It is so worth staying in the parks. We thought Sept would not be a problem and we were wrong.
2015 Roo 21BD-L'ABode
lablover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 05:04 PM   #15
Director, FROG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barneyfan View Post
I know it's a bit off topic, but can you guys recommend a campground near Jackson, Wyoming? We're hoping to make the trip in June or July.
Check out Colter Bay, located right on Jackson Lake in the middle of Grand Teton NP. There's also Gros Ventre in the park, but Colter Bay is far better, IMHO.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 06:59 PM   #16

We stayed at Flagg Ranch last June 2017. It was fine but "off the grid." No TV, WiFi or cell service. You kind of have to drive around the park and wait for your cell to show you bars. Or take a drive out to Signal Mountain! See picture we took. Good luck getting reservations. We really had to work at it. Do it NOW. Colter Bay is probably already filled.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kathys phone 10-16-17 031.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	433.6 KB
ID:	159802  
Old 01-08-2018, 07:32 PM   #17

Parks

Colter Bay is booked up solid, at least for July.
JesseP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:54 PM   #18

We were at Colter Bay in early August last summer and there were also a large number of first come first serve sites, all primitive but nice and available particularly if going early to mid week. We did not have any trouble getting a site but if you want hook ups start reserving now. We also went to west yellowstone and stayed at the Baker hole nsf campground. Some electric hookups available aso well as primitive sites. All first come first served. It's right on the Madison river and an easy drive to yellowstone west entrance. We left the rv and drove our car back and forth through the park - a lot easier and more convenient.
Old_hippies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:22 PM   #19

Please don't tell anyone, but Colter Bay RV Camp is our all time favorite camping ground. We will be there for 5 days starting in June this year. It normally takes at lest a year ahead to make confirmed reservations, but it is worthy it. The campsites are within easy walking distance of Lake Jackson, and the restaurant next to the lake. We have had many memorable experiences there. SShhhhhh!
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:23 AM   #20

Just drove 191 in August with our 24' Class C towing a Wrangler. Road is a non issue and much to our surprise very little traffic heading to YNP from GTNP two days ahead of the eclipse (Jackson was in totality). IIRC, Colter Bay and Flagg Ranch are the only campgrounds in GTNP with full hookup. We stayed at Colter Bay and it was nice, but I generally find State funded sites to be nicer than Federal sites. Nevertheless you'll want reservations, there are boards at each of the NP offices and campgrounds in the park that post how many sites are coming available for the day and subsequently the time in which a particular campground was full. Often the campgrounds were totally full in the early AM.

Tags
jacks, travel