Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2018, 03:19 PM   #21
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
You definitely will want a station where the pump lanes run parallel to the station building.
And we have noticed that the odds in your favor are higher at Shell stations.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 03:45 PM   #22

hey, don't forget love's. a couple of the flyin js were a little tight for me.
ramdurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 03:54 PM   #23

The question was "Travel Trailer FRIENDLY Gas Stations".

Loves, Flying J, and Pilot don't get my business any more. They charge extra for diesel unless paid by cash. But not gasoline. That's just a rip.

Most stations regular pumps are now being built perpendicular to the road. That's awful.

Speedway is one station where the newer stations have huge truck lanes way out away from the regular pumps. Low price and very nice. I wish they were all that way.

I seldom worry any more........an auxiliary fuel tank is almost a requirement for frequent traveling.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 06:27 PM   #24

I have a one hundred gallon auxiliary fuel tank, no worries
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 07:05 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmurph View Post
It takes a lot of time but I like to put my destination in Google maps and then scan the route to find flying I gas stations. Even if I can't find them I can usually spot a good option. Since you are in VA do you have any good recommendations for a gas stop on i81?
I 81 goes all the way across VA (TN to Maryland) any direction that you are traveling? Heavy truck traffic on I81 many truck stops. Very good fueling at the I81 / I77 split Fort Chiswell Area. I personally like the Pilot Travel Center I think it is at MM77.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 07:33 PM   #26

Pilot/flyingJ has an app that will find the closest one...tell you the price AND tell you if it is RV friendly. TA.petro and Loves does too.
I also take a look at a recommended station on Google maps satellite view just to avoid surprises.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:29 PM   #27

Hello, we also tow with a Suburban. 2014, 5.3L, with HD towing package. If you don't mind, what is your Suburbans specs?
Timan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 10:24 PM   #28

Apps that are helpful are the MyPilot app and iExit.

Mypilot lets you search for RV fuel lanes at flying Js or pilots.
Iexit will tell you what’s at a particular exit, but not necessarily if it’s rv friendly.
Rockwood Roo (sold)
Live4boating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:42 AM   #29

I use the I-exit app but it only works if you're travelling on the interstates. Otherwise, the All Stays app and Pilot gas station apps work well. You get 3 cents off per gallon with the Pilot app.
krmadruga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 05:57 AM   #30

Sunoco
No flying j on the state rds

2017 Mini Lite 2506S front kitchen

2018 GMC Sierra 1500
labcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 08:58 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btennant View Post
I’ve got a Suburban and 34’ camper, so as many of you know, finding gas stations that are camper friendly aren’t always easy. Is there a website anywhere that lists gas stations that are easy to get in and out of with a camper? Most of my travels are from Virginia to Florida.

Every 2 years my DW buys the "Next Exit" book. I'm sure there are apps, but this book shows service stations that are RV friendly, restaurants, stores, campgrounds, etc and if they are RV friendly too. We all have pulled into store parking lots we later wished we Haden's. Great book!!
Philandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 11:27 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by labcamper View Post
Sunoco
No flying j on the state rds
Wow there are still Sunoco 's . I have not seen one in 20 years guess they are not where I travel ?

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 06-27-2018, 11:53 AM   #33

Quote:
This very issue was a key reason of my decision to upgrade to a diesel. Now, I can fill up at the same pumps the big rigs use.
Now see I have Diesel, but hate those God awful messy even filthy big rig lanes. And to boot those nearly always require you to go in to pay. The auto plaza at truck stops nearly always handle a trailer and the pumps usually take a card. (Or two if the price exceeds card limit)

We are 53 feet bumper to bumper and fit in to the outside Lane at most any station.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 11:55 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philandterry View Post
Every 2 years my DW buys the "Next Exit" book. I'm sure there are apps, but this book shows service stations that are RV friendly, restaurants, stores, campgrounds, etc and if they are RV friendly too. We all have pulled into store parking lots we later wished we Haden's. Great book!!

Ditto. My wife's favorite travel reader.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 11:59 AM   #35
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post
Now see I have Diesel, but hate those God awful messy even filthy big rig lanes. And to boot those nearly always require you to go in to pay. The auto plaza at truck stops nearly always handle a trailer and the pumps usually take a card. (Or two if the price exceeds card limit)

We are 53 feet bumper to bumper and fit in to the outside Lane at most any station.

If I ever have a card issue, I just push the intercom button and they will usually authorize it for me. Diesel pumps are usually dirty and gross regardless of the station. I carry a set of leather work gloves with me for this very reason.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:33 PM   #36
Gold Tee Box

Quote:
This very issue was a key reason of my decision to upgrade to a diesel. Now, I can fill up at the same pumps the big rigs use.
This was a priority for us also when we upgraded.

As others have mentioned, Pilot/Flying J have RV lanes at some stops, but I've found that they are often very hard to get in with a tow vehicle and long TT.

There is a new small convenience store or a corner lot in Boron, CA off of 58 between Barstow and Bakersfield which has pumps at an angle...very easy to get in and out. I sure wish there were more like that!

Here is a suggestion though. When planning your trip, try using satellite view on your map browser. You can see where the pumps are parallel or perpendicular to the road. When going into unfamiliar territory you can review the evening before the next day's travels.

When not towing, we occasionally use satellite view to check out motels. You can see which have the newer parking lots and get an idea of how old the motels are.

Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:14 AM   #37

Love my diesel 2500 GMC. I carry a small bottle of hand sanitizer to deal with smell on door pocket. Try and avoid truck stops, sometimes necessary. Use Next Exit book and backup with the Pilot app. Always fill up before hookup, gives me a little more than 300 Miles. We travel about that in a day on long trips. On one occasion did drop tt to fill up, no a lengthy deal. BP has an abundance of travel plazas in our area, cleaner than Pilot lanes.
Days camped in FR 2011-12 = 77, 13-14 = 98, 15-16 = 129
17 = 81, 18 = 44, 19 = 83, 20= 45, 21 = 76, 22 = 57, 23 = 42
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:05 AM   #38

Allstays Truck Stops and Travel Plazas is an excellent app. It shows all of the truckstops (even shows the logo on the map so you can quickly see the ones you want), tells you if there are RV lanes at the pumps, shows you the Walmart locations, shows any low underpasses/bridges, Rest Areas, Parking areas big enough to handle a truck, Repair places, locations which allow tank dumping, etc. You can click on a specific location to get all the details about it (number of parking spots, whether they allow overnight stays, contact information, address/coordinates so you can enter it into your GPS, etc.). Pretty much a one-stop-shop for almost all of your planning needs.

What I really like, is in the app, I can look at a satellite view of the places I am thinking of stopping, to make sure I want to deal with the layout and know the entrance/exit routes before I get there. It covers all things trucks need, which in turn is all the stuff I need, to travel.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:59 AM   #39

We start looking for fuel at half tank when in unfamiliar areas. We use all the fancy apps with satellite views, but you never really know until you get there.

We prefer truck stops (yes, they sell gas also), so rarely use a typical gas station. The spilled diesel at truck/RV lanes or on the nozzle doesn't bother me. Most auto stations are in the same condition.

For some reason, back east seems to always be more of a challenge for fuel, unless we are on toll roads with travel plazas. Out west, the truck stops are abundant and well spaced on major highways.

Don't be afraid to pass a station that doesn't look easy to navigate. Even when using easy access auto stations I've been blocked in by inconsiderate autos.

Good luck!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 06:31 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post
If my cards limit stops the card at say $75. I do not use another card I just run the same card again and finish filling up.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO

Tags
gas, trailer, travel, travel trailer