Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2018, 09:19 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryo View Post
I like the 8329. Almost the same just a bit smaller but no outdoor kitchen.
We had the Rockwood 8329SS and loved it.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:19 PM   #22
Coachman 312BHDS

We had a 2016 Coachmen 312BHDS Freedom Express Liberty Edition 37' TT and upgraded to a 2017 Open Range 376FBH 42' Fifth Wheel. The truck went from a F150 Eco Boost to an F350 turbo diesel. In hindsight we should have skipped the Coachmen step completely. Everything is better by leaps and bounds with the Fifth Wheel. ;-)

The towing part went from white knuckle to two-finger. Sway is non-existent. It goes straight as an arrow no matter what. The FW is much safer to tow, easier to hook-up and level, and really anything else.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:22 PM   #23

Switched to a 5’r 15 years ago and don’t see myself going back. Only advantage of a TT in my opinion is having the bed of your truck empty to haul a golf cart. Haven’t found a cost effective solution yet to take golf cart with me towing the 5’r.
gos5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:29 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by gos5 View Post
Switched to a 5’r 15 years ago and don’t see myself going back. Only advantage of a TT in my opinion is having the bed of your truck empty to haul a golf cart. Haven’t found a cost effective solution yet to take golf cart with me towing the 5’r.
It’s called a toy hauler.. but maybe it’s not cost effective.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:31 PM   #25

Have gone from tt to 5th and back to Aviator tt, now in 41' Montana, will never go back to TT.
If we were to do anything different again it would be a class A
2013 Aviator Electra #1934 traded for 2018.5 Montana 3811ms Legacy
2018 GMC Sierra Denali DuraMax
powerhaulic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:39 PM   #26

You have more room in a 5th wheel. Turning radius is much better. Safety on the interstate is better too. Wind from oncoming trucks will not send your 5ver into a tailspin like a tow behind.

2012 Cedar Creek 42ft 5th wheel
2008 6.4 Twin Turbo F250 Dually
JoelMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:55 PM   #27

Unless you're insistent on getting something 35' or longer, I'd consider TTs just as equal as a 5er; especially if you find the perfect floor plan in a TT.

Our third camper was 44' Cyclone. Then we went to a 33' Work & Play TT. It was far more fitted for our racing needs. Then after we quit racing, we went back to a 44' toy hauler but that's because I want it as big as I can get. But if I were looking for anything in the 35' and under range, I would consider them virtually equal. Today's WD hitches when properly set up pull just as well as a fifth wheel. Many will disagree but I speak from my experience.
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:55 PM   #28

my wife has rheumatoid arthritis and has difficulty with stairs. I won't get a 5er because of that. Also, if you lease your TV, you will be assessed for damage from the hitch installation.
Tacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:08 PM   #29

Today's WD hitches when properly set up pull just as well as a fifth wheel. Many will disagree but I speak from my experience.[/QUOTE]

This position has been proven to be wrong time and time again. Placed in the same conditions with oncoming winds on the interstate, the tow behind will be much more likely to go into a severe sway situation, the fifth wheel will not. It is most prevalent on interstates that have no distance between the two different flows of traffic. Here in PA, tow behinds are the cause of many wrecks for this reason. I have 35 years of towing experience from small trailers to tractor trailer.
JoelMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:25 PM   #30

main differences for us.

The trailer is always thousands less than the 5er. The trailer is better fuel mileage because it is both lower and lighter per foot. The trailer is easier to get up into with less stairs. Easier to sell cause a smaller truck or SUV will pull it. The trailer is easier to adjust the load with an Equal-izer brand hitch. 5ivers put lots more weight on the hitch. Insurance is cheaper. You end up with almost the same net storage space but give up your truck storage with the 5er.
mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:45 PM   #31

Had 3 travel trailers (24’, 26’ and a 30’) then went to a 38’ 5er and now back to a 30’ travel trailer. The 5er is easier to pull, the a/c unit isn’t sitting only a few inches from your head, I miss the ceiling fan the 5er had. Went back to the Travel Trailer so I could camp more at our local state parks (size limitations) but I will go back to the 5th wheel next trailer OR a Class A
Wannabe123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:51 PM   #32

If you have a TV that can pull either, then the only choice is a fifth wheel in my opinion. I would never go back to a TT.

Just the difference in ease of hitching/unhitching is a major bonus for a fifth wheel. Towing, storage space, floorplans, and interior room are just secondary benefits
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:57 PM   #33

V-Lite or Windjammer

These units were mentioned once. Check out the windjammer forum on here. Anyway 70 year olds here. Just took two trips on Interstates about 1200 miles in total. Crazy over our front nose kitchen ... it's a mini house. The absolute best for us! 30WFKSV or older units 3008w or 30WFKSS. Good luck
dannybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:59 PM   #34

We've had both TT or fivers since 1998. Hands down … no argument … no regrets, the fivers have pulled way better than the TTers in any subtopic of a discussion concerning towing. You can piddle fart around with the WD hitches to get in you opinion the ultimate towing experience just to experience a more ultimate towing experience when towing a fiver. They do have steps inside, they do require a pickup bed with a hitch sitting in it, they sell just as easy due to the number of people wanting a fiver at least in my neck of the woods, you seldom need to adjust the load pulling a fiver as they are way more forgiving. If you need more rear weight, just put water in the fresh water tank. As for storage … I don't like to keep a lot in the bed of my truck … topper or bed cover, so the outside storage on any of the fivers we've owned is astronomically larger than any TT I've ever looked at … ever. So there you have an alternate side of the coin. Like Mort said "main differences for us" … so it's what your RV experience calls for.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 01:55 PM   #35

Slight hijack on topic

Has anyone ever used a goose-neck horse trailer conversion to RV?
djglover7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 03:45 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
If you have a TV that can pull either, then the only choice is a fifth wheel in my opinion. I would never go back to a TT.

Just the difference in ease of hitching/unhitching is a major bonus for a fifth wheel. Towing, storage space, floorplans, and interior room are just secondary benefits
What's difficult about hitching up a travel trailer? I back the truck up, lower the trailer, attach the electrical and two chains...

I take two kayaks, two (or three) motorcycles, wood, propane, tables, chairs, two bicycles, grill and with a little creativity I can add an atv...I've never seen a 30 foot 5'r that can come close.
Old 10-12-2018, 03:46 PM   #37

I started out with a travel trailer and now fifth wheel, the fifth wheel pulls a lot better and you can make sharper turns. But the stairs is a problem the older we get plus my bladder has to be emptying more these days, more stair climbing. I get my only exercise nowadays climbing stairs
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 03:48 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigH View Post
What's difficult about hitching up a travel trailer? I back the truck up, lower the trailer, attach the electrical and two chains...

I take two kayaks, two (or three) motorcycles, wood, propane, tables, chairs, two bicycles, grill and with a little creativity I can add an atv...I've never seen a 30 foot 5'r that can come close.
I'm guessing you have never owned a fifth wheel.
Old 10-12-2018, 03:52 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I'm guessing you have never owned a fifth wheel.
I've pulled fifth wheels for work behind a 3/4 ton but I didn't own it...
Are you saying there is a fifth wheel at 30 feet that will haul what I do?
Old 10-12-2018, 03:56 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigH View Post
I've pulled fifth wheels for work behind a 3/4 ton but I didn't own it...
Are you saying there is a fifth wheel at 30 feet that will haul what I do?
Toy haulers, but actually I was addressing your belief that TTs are just as easy to hitch/unhitch. We definitely disagree there, but thats ok, everybody thinks differently.

Tags
5th wheel, trailer, travel, travel trailer, wheel