Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2015, 07:47 PM   #1
Sailrguy

Trip Port Huron MI to Mesa AZ

Could use some trip advice. Ontario CAN to Mesa AZ. Trailer checked and serviced at dealer. Brake prices and full check.....$1960.00. Crazy!!!
Leaving Ontario via Port Huron(One hour from border) and planning to be past St Louis first night. Possibly stay in Eureka Walmart.
Unsure how to hop and stop in Oklahoma, Texas , New Mexico and into AZ.
Anyone who has done this trip and has some advice to share, would appreciate any guidance we can get. Figuring 3 days at a push...possibly 4
Two male drivers with a 350 GM dually and a Cardinal 37RL.
Thanks
Sailrguy
4Sailrguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 05:23 AM   #2

Smile Trip Port Huron MI to Mesa AZ

We did part of that trip last year except we left from Florida. We took interstate 10 it runs through the entire south from east to west. There is some very pretty country you will be passing thru.

Have a Safe Trip
fotoman1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 05:54 AM   #3

We have made that trip a half dozen times, but leaving from the west side of michigan (Holland/Zeeland area) and going to either Phoenix or San Diego.
Depending on weather and departure time, we would stop in Springfield MO the first night, then either Amarillo TX, or Albuquerque NM depending on the final destination.

A Walmart in each of the three locations, close enough to the highway exits. otherwise, check some of the RV dealers in the towns you want to stop in. The one down the road from us here in NY, Wilkins RV, has a 3 to 5 site "camp ground" for dealer/garage customer usage. The service manager there had mentioned it to us when i asked about a full brake service before we head to the Keys this fall. We are full time in our WPF and would be out of a home if the rigs brakes needed more than a tweaking. he said "no problem. if it needs parts we dont have, we will overnight order, and put you back together, set you out in our campground". then he proceeded to fill us in on the details. they have it for customers and pass thru customer usage. another option to check out as you travel.

If you like beer and good food, the Springfield Brewery has a wide variety of good beer, along with some great ones. as well as great food and a great atmosphere.
Amarillo has a great dive of a steak house just east of the Cadillac Ranch (Cadillacs buried nose down). I cannot remember the name of it though, Neds or Neals something like that, you know the type, super sized steak you get for free if you eat it all. But this place actually has really good steak. Tender, lots of flavor, and wood fire grilled. Worth the stop, even if you thinks the place is a dump....which you will. there are also a couple of ok RV stops on the west side of town too, Fort Amarillo and Rt66 something.

You will run into a lot of construction this year. the worst of it near St. Louis. they have been replacing highways there for years, and are years from done. If your not in a hurry, and like nostalgia, take Rt 66. its a bitch towing anything of size, but a cool drive with a lot of distractions and places to stay along the way. my wife and i took it home from Mesa back in 12. 5 days of travel at a slow pace, with a 7x14 enclosed trailer towed with our old 01 power stroke. no problems for us, but i sure wouldn't have done that with our new rig, weighing in at 29k. To much stop and go for that nonsense.

hope this spot of insight helped, Have a safe trip.
1997 TJ-ish....
rjtimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:55 AM   #4
Sailrguy

Thanks for the info and stop offs. Truly appreciated.
Road work has been reported as an issue in some states. Bothersome, but
has to be dealt with as it comes I guess. Good news is that is being done rather than continued decay.
Thanks again. Drive safe
Old 08-13-2015, 12:19 PM   #5

I would come east of St Louis on I44 to Joplin, Mo which you get on Will Rogers Turnpike to I40 west. If you don't want on turnpike at Joplin take I49 south through Western side of Arkansas to I40 and go west to Amirillo, Tx then go south to I 20 straight shot to Mesa, Az.
Myrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 01:26 PM   #6
Sailrguy

thanks for the guide and alternative route. Greatly appreciated.
Looks like quickest route is l40 to Holbrook then 377 south to Phoenix.
Have you taken this route and if so, are roads good?
thanks
Sailrguy
Old 08-13-2015, 05:28 PM   #7

Eureka Walmart

Your mention of Port Huron caught my eye - I'm originally from there and now live just outside of Eureka Springs, AR. I assume it's the "Eureka Walmart" you mentioned. There is no Walmart in ES - the nearest one is in Berryvill, about 8 miles west on HY62. However, there are a variety of RV parks in ES, and several others about 4 miles west directly on Beaver Lake, if you like beautiful scenery. I would be happy to send you some phone numbers if you want. Regards, Alex.
Alexha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 05:52 PM   #8
Retired Techie

Passing Thru Michigan

Remember passing thru Michigan there are two seasons. Winter and construction. During the later orange cones grow rampart in the most unexpected places and last forever. Besides it is too hot in AZ right now and perfect in Mich. (Yes I am biased)
moligney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 05:57 PM   #9

Although it is faster to hit Holbrook and taking 377 down to 277 into Heber then 260 to Payson then 87 to Mesa...don't do it on a Sunday. Everybody is headed back to the city from the cool pines. The road is two-lane from Holbrook to Woods Canyon lake. The road is rough around the Forest Lakes area. The speed limit is 55 and 65 on 377, 55 on 277, 55 on 260 through the descent to Payson. There are several tight turns on the downhill but it's four lane road so the crazies can see how fast the can make a 45 mph turn without having to wait behind an RV.
The road eventually splits into a divided highway and 65 mph until about 15 miles outside of Payson where it goes down to a 2-lane and 55 mph. Watch out for the speed cameras in Star Valley, one right as you enter the town and one at the end of town. Once you're in Payson stay in the left two lanes to turn on to 87. You'll hit a couple of steep climbs and downhills with some turns between Payson & Mesa. Once you get over the last hill (3-lane climb) it's all down hill from there and fairly straight.
Hope this is enough detail!!!!!!
GeeDubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:47 PM   #10
Sailrguy

Wow!! Many many thanks for the detailed trip. Food for thought there.
Are we better taking 40 west and down 17?
I've been on 17 before and is a good road as I recall.
Thanks
Old 08-13-2015, 08:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexha View Post
Your mention of Port Huron caught my eye - I'm originally from there and now live just outside of Eureka Springs, AR. I assume it's the "Eureka Walmart" you mentioned. There is no Walmart in ES - the nearest one is in Berryvill, about 8 miles west on HY62. However, there are a variety of RV parks in ES, and several others about 4 miles west directly on Beaver Lake, if you like beautiful scenery. I would be happy to send you some phone numbers if you want. Regards, Alex.
I lived in Port Huron for a year.

As for the route, when I lived in Rochester MI for a few years, I did this same run twice. Usually 94 over to 69, to 70 to St. Louis (I avoided Chicago at all times). Then 44 to 40 then 17 into Phoenix. That was the fastest route; not the most scenic.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 01:46 AM   #12

Trip Port Huron MI to Mesa AZ

I would take the scenic route through Heber. You would be adding a lot of miles going to Flagstaff and having to deal with Phoenix traffic to back track to Mesa. It's about 80 miles further going through Flagstaff.
By the way, it was 113°F at my house today...dry heat my rear end!
GeeDubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 07:30 AM   #13
Sailrguy

What a super site this is.
I've learned so much about trailer problems, solutions and mods.
Also many thanks for all the input on our trip to AZ.
Stop-offs, routes and alternatives has been great.
Bit of concern hauling a 40ft on possible single lane "ups and downs" getting to Phoenix. Part of the adventure I guess.
Drove up into Superstition Mountains last year ( no trailer) . Wouldn't want to run into one of those roads with my 5th in tow.
Many thanks again to one and all who have helped us along.
Cheers
Sailrguy
Old 08-14-2015, 10:57 AM   #14

I 49 S from Joplin is a great drive through the Boston Mts. Several high bridges up over 200' since we have had alot of rain very scenic through mts. beats driving Oklahoma nothing but flat land from Joplin to Amirillo.
Myrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 10:19 AM   #15

I've taken each way described... I-17 south of is the easiest, but least scenic. going through Holbrock/Payson is a beautiful drive, but like mentioned, weekend travel is horrible. the other option is go south out of Albuquerque on 25, to 60 west @ Socorro, then through Pie Town, Globe, and Show Low and into the Mesa area at Apache Junction. its also a very beautiful drive, but two lane, and fairly slow going.

no matter the way you go, the south west is beautiful. and expansive. carry extra fuel, it a long ways sometimes between station. If you run a diesel, be sure to have a good clean fuel filter before you leave, take a spare with you, and only buy at large truck stops. ive gotten bad fuel at little gas stations twice now when i had to buy due to being low, then get the double screw of high price for crap fuel.
1997 TJ-ish....
rjtimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 11:34 AM   #16
Sailrguy

Thanks for the drive options. truly appreciated and will check out in days ahead. Not leaving 'til mid October but looking forward to this trip. After hearing about the scenic routes, will forget the straight shot and take a couple of extra days getting to Mesa
Also, appreciate the diesel advice. Will follow for sure
Thanks again
Sailrguy
Old 08-15-2015, 11:53 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Sailrguy View Post
Thanks for the drive options. truly appreciated and will check out in days ahead. Not leaving 'til mid October but looking forward to this trip. After hearing about the scenic routes, will forget the straight shot and take a couple of extra days getting to Mesa
Also, appreciate the diesel advice. Will follow for sure
Thanks again
Sailrguy
I did the "scenic" route a few weeks ago. Mainly because it is quicker! The road out of Holbrook is single lane each way but I only saw a few cars and they passed me. Be careful in Payson- speed cameras. The limit is low enough to set them off even in an RV! From Payson, it is a 2 lane road and very easy to navigate. Scenic! Worth it!
West Cactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 02:01 PM   #18
Sailrguy

Thanks West Cactus
Appreciate the advice. Well noted.
Great options from all the mull over.
If we do take that route. it will definitely not be on a weekend.
Thanks again
Sailrguy