Old 06-11-2018, 07:19 PM   #1

Trip Report: Wyoming to Minnesota

I thought I'd do a little technical writeup of my return trip from Cody, Wy to Rochester, Mn. I figured the info from this relatively uneventful trip might be useful to folks considering towing with a similar combination. Unlike the trip out, there were no significant head or tail winds, no particular problems, etc. (The outward trip was another story!)
I took the Hwy 16 route from Cody to Buffalo across the Big Horn mountains. This route has a relatively continious grade going up to the summit and about six 7-8% grades coming back down into Buffalo, Wy. The F150 Ecoboost handled the trip up and down without incident, though I had to pull over twice on the way up as the transmission topped out at 230 degrees. Speeds going up dropped to about 30 mph. 5-10 minutes was all it took to bring the temps back down to their normal 204 degrees before I continued. I should mention that the engine braking on the downhill grades was lacking, but you really can't expect V8 engine braking from a V6. I took the grades at 30 mph and 2nd gear.
Back in flat country and I90 I stuck to about 60 mph, mostly in 5th gear with the occasional 6th and 4th gear. Overall, I was very impressed with the 3.5L Ecoboost F150, even with the short 3.31 axle ratio. Do I wish I had a F350 Powerstroke Diesel to pull with? Yep, and if I took more than 2 trips a year, I'd be in the market for something bigger. But I can't say I was overly stressed with this truck/trailer combo.
Just a word or two about the trip out to Cody. I ran into 20-30 mph headwinds. I still tried to do my usual 60 mph. When my transmission temps went north of 250, it was time to pull over and rethink things. I crawled along for another 100 miles at about 45 mph. MPG was abysmal and it was stressful. I'd have probably been better off pulling over till the winds died down. Live and learn.

Details
Tow vehicle:
2014 Ford F150
3.5L Ecoboost V6
3.31 axle ratio
6640 lbs

Trailer
2016 Rockwood Mini 2502KS
5100 lbs

GCVW: 11740 lbs

Distance: 972 miles
Driving time: 18.5 hours
Gas used: 108 gallons
Avg. MPG: 9.0
Old 06-11-2018, 08:48 PM   #2

Thanks for the post...I read with interest. Iíll be on that exact path next month after going thru NM, UT, WY eventually back to TN. My TV is a FX4 5.0 pulling a 243 with similar weight as yours. Iím hoping the V8 does as well or a little better than your 3.5. Hard to pull the trigger on a 250 or 350 for one big trip and a lot of smaller ones afterward.
Ten16 is offline   Reply With Quote