Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2016, 09:49 AM   #21

My first question is simple )what truck do you own that is 46 ft long?)
as for national parks this has been an ongoing issue for a long time, most parks were built for tenting and very small trailers going back to the 50/60s era, and in being so are to small for many of today's trailers and motorhomes.
But there is also another step you did not mention, by how you said this you looked online, you NEED to call the park you want to go to as many sites around the country have been upgraded and take a much larger coach than the web site states.
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 10:46 AM   #22

Stay at Henry's Lake State Park, Idaho. Beautiful park on Henry's Lake. About 32 miles to West Yellowstone entrance.
menekaunee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 11:27 AM   #23

We like to camp within park boundaries and in Yellowstone I was told by the camp rangers (?) that truck and RV must fit on the pad and there is no overflow parking and NO parking on the grass as they would tow (or ticket?) my vehicle. We ended up at Fishing Bridge as it was the only one that could/would fit our, at the time, 34' 5th wheel.

A quote from Fishing Bridge website:
Fishing Bridge RV sites will accommodate a towing unit and a towed unit side-by-side. For example, a 35-foot site would accommodate an 18-foot truck and a 35-foot trailer (unhooked) side-by-side in the site. Adjust for slide outs.

We got a 35' site. The back bumper was touching the backstop posts, the front cap was even with the front of the site and, with our slide outs, our truck barely fit on the side. Had to let the wife out 1st, then back into spot.

So my point is ... call and ask.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:54 AM   #24

Fishing Bridge 2013. Only campground in the park with full HU. Sites tight, but OK for our Rockwood 8280SS 5er. Parked truck cross ways in front of trailer. Other large rigs in campground seemed to have enough room, but not much to spare.
Had a pull-thru at Mammoth Hot Springs. More room in site, but dry camping. Tetons are just a few miles South for more spectacular views.
stuart38npb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 02:06 PM   #25

Fishing Bridge is tight, we had a 40ft spot, camper was 35ft. I think we could open our back window and shake hands with the person behind us and him still in his camper. It took a few minutes to back in, it was tight. But it's the only campground in Yellowstone with hookups, it's fun. In West Yellowstone you just can't beat Grizzly RV park, it's great. I like the National Park campgrounds too

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:17 AM   #26

We booked in Canyon for this summer and got the same story, they wanted to know what the lenght of your rig was connected to your trailer. They were very specific. We have a 32' trailer and suburban. We told them our trailer was 18' so we would fit in their criteria for a 40 ft spot, and then called back and booked another smaller spot in case we had to park our car elsewhere. We have never been there so we hope this works. We will give up the second spot if we don't need it.
dmdomokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 12:57 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdomokos View Post
We booked in Canyon for this summer and got the same story, they wanted to know what the lenght of your rig was connected to your trailer. They were very specific. We have a 32' trailer and suburban. We told them our trailer was 18' so we would fit in their criteria for a 40 ft spot, and then called back and booked another smaller spot in case we had to park our car elsewhere. We have never been there so we hope this works. We will give up the second spot if we don't need it.

I have been told the same thing when booking and when I get there the rangers say for a 40ft spot, trailer and vehicle has to be under 50ft hooked together. You will be fine. Enjoy your visit. My camper was 28ft hooked to a 2500 Silverado. I had a good time

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer, truck