Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2016, 09:14 PM   #1

Truck Stop Fueling

We just got back from Florida traveling thru 8 states with a 2500 HD Chevy gasser pulling a 24ft TT. We stopped to fuel at many truck stops like Love's and Flying Cloud. Wondering if anyone knows if the diesel, truck side of these stops have any pumps offering gasoline also so we can pull in to fuel easier than trying to maneuver our rigs around the pump posts, backing cars and people running for the restrooms inside the stores!! FYI, we thought Georgia had the best rest stops offering separate parking for RV's complete with picnic tables and a dump station.
gfarmcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:23 PM   #2

don't believe there is such a thing. The whole purpose is to separate the big vehicles from the families running in to pee. Another benefit of a diesel truck is to be able to easily maneuver around the fuel areas.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:40 PM   #3

If you liked the Georgia rest stops (and most of them are pretty good) you would love the Georgia state campgrounds. Lots of really good choices and fair prices.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:44 PM   #4

Aint never seen gas on the diesel side,and Ive been just about everywhere in the us,canada,and mexico.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:21 PM   #5

There's diesel on the gas side........sometimes..........

Getting diesel in a 4 wheeler on the truck side gets you some snide looks, maybe more, sometimes, too. And many places do not have automatic CC acceptance/paying.

But they're BIG@!!!
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:39 PM   #6
Who Dares, Wins

Never seen gas on the truck lanes. I've never been able to activate the pump with the CC I've always had to send the DW in to pre-pay. But they are big. I've never had issue with using the pumps from the big rigs, actually the opposite because I am quick... Only take 36 gallons. Not 200!

I generally hit the Flying J and use ones with RV lanes but have used the truck lanes twice. I found it more of a pain in the butt with needing to walk in. They sometimes can be tight (an after thought I guess when they made them). But I like they are away from the other 4 wheelers and I can pay at the pump then roll.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:47 PM   #7
Always Learning

Never seen gas behind at the truck pumps.

Neve have even gotten a hint of annoyed truck driver. Have gotten many questions- how's it pull? You like that brand? I've got a such and such.

Pilot/Flying J isn't the cheapest, but they have a RV Card that works like a charge account and let's you start/pay at the pump.

I just picked up a Love's loyalty card to start the pump (but have to go inside to pay).

In all my states, I've only found one place that let you pay with a credit card.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:49 PM   #8
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Never seen gas behind at the truck pumps.

Neve have even gotten a hint of annoyed truck driver. Have gotten many questions- how's it pull? You like that brand? I've got a such and such.

Pilot/Flying J isn't the cheapest, but they have a RV Card that works like a charge account and let's you start/pay at the pump.

I just picked up a Love's loyalty card to start the pump (but have to go inside to pay).

In all my states, I've only found one place that let you pay with a credit card.
I just got my loves card as well. I thought I was able to have them set it up with to allow me to pay at the pump. But then again, I've never used it yet to try and who knows if the lady at the counter that set it up was being correct.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 02-06-2016, 10:50 PM   #9

The thing I dont like about the truck lanes is that there is always spilled fuel all over the ground and then I track it into the truck.Most of the nozzels leak or seep and it gets on me as well. This is the big reason I installed the transfer tank in the truck bed,I can pretty much choose where I get fuel w/o the trailer,and get it in the gas lanes.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:56 PM   #10
Who Dares, Wins

Yeah, the high flow nozzles always over flow...

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 02-06-2016, 11:01 PM   #11
Always Learning

I've never noticed issues with tracking it in. But, I do always wear gloves when fueling up to keep my hands clean. I bought a cheap pair of work gloves from Home Depot and use them. I had the idea after my first couple of stops and then started noticing a couple of drivers also used them.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:03 PM   #12
Who Dares, Wins

The fuel on the ground do make things slippery I will say. I've never tracked it as well.. But have slipped and slid!

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 02-07-2016, 10:12 AM   #13

We do like to fuel at the truck stops because we can pull our trailer around to the rear and take a break parked next to the "big boys". They don't seem to care and we don't stay overnight. I guess our next TV should be diesel but, for right now, we're happy with our gas burner. Thanks for all the input.
gfarmcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:25 AM   #14

A Pilot\Flying J card through Good Sam will give you .06 Diesel discount over the stated pump price. I always try to use them when out of state. A major drawback with tractor trailer pump lanes are the lines. Depending on the time of day you can spend a lonnnggg time waiting to fuel up and get out. if a driver doesn't pull up before shutting down and going in they end up blocking you in. Sometimes drivers grab food and a shower while parked in the fuel lane. That's plain wrong and a horribly long wait.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:55 AM   #15

I use an app on my cell phone to find the lowest fuel prices when on the road.

It is called GasBuddy. I find it to be very helpful saving money when on long trips.

Not as convenient as your local truck stop, but you pay for that convenience.

I prefer to plan ahead since fuel and camping sites are my biggest expense.

Here is the link for those who are interested.

GasBuddy.com - Find Low Gas Prices in the USA and Canada
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GasBuddy.png
Views:	214
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	99094  
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins TD, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 11:14 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
There's diesel on the gas side........sometimes..........

Getting diesel in a 4 wheeler on the truck side gets you some snide looks, maybe more, sometimes, too. And many places do not have automatic CC acceptance/paying.

But they're BIG@!!!
Never had I have had any issue when pulling my Ram and 5ers in to the truck stop lanes with truckers.

I act just like a semi when I fuel-up, I pull into the fuel lane wait my turn. When the semi in front pulls forward and stops, I than too pull forward. Either I or my wife will go in hand our credit card over to the pump attendant telling her/him how much I want to put in and what pump number. I will then go out and fill-up the truck. When I am done I will pull forward so another semi can fill up behind me. I will than go in an complete the transaction. We will than pull over to the rest area for the trucks and complete what ever needs to be done at this time.

Sometimes the only question I get will be. Is that my rig and it what size Cummins engine do I have the 5.9L or 6.7L.

We have been towing a 5er since 07 and with a diesel since 08 and I have never had any issues in a truck stop when pulling.

My biggest problem has been the little 4-wheel cars cutting you off. They do not realize that I am 55+ feet long and weight close to 20,000 LBS. I don't stop on a dime when pulling.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:18 AM   #17

Most places even have separate tanks for the front diesel pumps compare to the commercial (18 wheeler) pumps. Saw it Maryland at Hunt Valley in the snow cleanup. Eventually 5 gallons jugs were being filled with the big pumps.

I have never seen any gas pumps at commercial pumps but the DEF it offered more now.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 06:02 AM   #18

There are NO gas pumps in the commercial truck lanes.
larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 06:36 AM   #19
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I have never had to go inside to pay at the truck pumps. Always used my fleet card at pilot. Easy in easy out! Now that I'm back to gas, I'll be looking more for the RV lanes. I use the Pilot/Flying J app on phone, gives amenities at each location and price.

AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 06:58 AM   #20

I never use truck stops, it takes to long plus if I scan my credit card I get 5% off the purchase price. I have a 100 gallon tank and when I stop for a potty break I fill up then, takes about 15 minutes and I'm back on the road. It works for diesel I don't know how it would work for gas

spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
truck