Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2017, 04:04 PM   #1
Broken Toe

TST 507 TMPS Question

I have decided to pull the trigger and get the TST 507 system for my Rockwood. But I have a question...

I also have a flatbed car hauler that it would be nice to have TMPS on it as well. Is there a way to set up the head for use with a second trailer? Of course I would have to buy 4 more sensors, but it would be handy not having to swap out them out from one unit to the other.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 04:08 PM   #2
OYO

I just move my sensors from my camper to my boat trailer. Might not work for everyone.
OYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 04:19 PM   #3
Site Team

You can set up one trailer as the outside of the dual wheels( on head unit) and the other trailer on the inside of the dual wheels (on the head) on the other. When one trailer is not being used that set of wheels (sensors) will just be ignored.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 05:28 PM   #4
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
You can set up one trailer as the outside of the dual wheels( on head unit) and the other trailer on the inside of the dual wheels (on the head) on the other. When one trailer is not being used that set of wheels (sensors) will just be ignored.

now that's a great idea! Thanks!

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Old 03-13-2017, 12:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
now that's a great idea! Thanks!

Tim
You could also set up one as the front wheels of an 18 wheeler and one trailer as the rear set. The system is configurable in any way you desire when you are installing it, or later on for that matter.

If it were me, I would nto take the trouble to move the sensors, Id just get another set, or cheaper yet, buy a set with as many sensors as you would need the first time. It is less expensive than adding sensors.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:52 PM   #6

Quote:
They won't really be ignored, they just won't display any values. The unit will rotate thru those sensors looking for them but since they are not there no pressures will display.

I would not like this method as it will require a longer period of looking at the monitor to see the status of the tires that are connected. It takes several seconds for each sensor to display or 10-20 seconds to rotate between 4 tires. You are going to double that with 8 tires and will have to spending more time glancing gat the display whenfever you want to check the pressure of all tires and half that time will be empty values.

I would see if you could buy a stand alone display maybe from eBay or from the mfgr.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 01:03 PM   #7
Site Team

This is correct for the display, however if there is a fault ( alarm) on any monitored tire, the alarm will be displayed immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
They won't really be ignored, they just won't display any values. The unit will rotate thru those sensors looking for them but since they are not there no pressures will display.

I would not like this method as it will require a longer period of looking at the monitor to see the status of the tires that are connected. It takes several seconds for each sensor to display or 10-20 seconds to rotate between 4 tires. You are going to double that with 8 tires and will have to spending more time glancing gat the display whenfever you want to check the pressure of all tires and half that time will be empty values.

I would see if you could buy a stand alone display maybe from eBay or from the mfgr.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 01:33 PM   #8

Quote:
This is correct for the display, however if there is a fault ( alarm) on any monitored tire, the alarm will be displayed immediately.
I'll agree with this. You shouldn't be actively monitoring pressures while driving. 2 minutes to check them all before setting off or at a rest stop is reasonable. While driving, depend on the alarms.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 03:03 PM   #9
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
I'll agree with this. You shouldn't be actively monitoring pressures while driving. 2 minutes to check them all before setting off or at a rest stop is reasonable. While driving, depend on the alarms.
I actually disagree with that. I think you should actively monitor them while drive. Not staring at it, but periodically checking them. For me, I'll have my wife bounce through them periodically to make sure all is well + consistent.

I had an instance where I noticed one tire was running hotter and slightly higher PSI than the other 9 tires (6 truck, 4 trailer). Turns out, it ultimately caused me issues that I could have prevented if I had changed a tire at the campground (but I'm a moron).
Old 03-13-2017, 03:10 PM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I actually disagree with that. I think you should actively monitor them while drive. Not staring at it, but periodically checking them. For me, I'll have my wife bounce through them periodically to make sure all is well + consistent.

I had an instance where I noticed one tire was running hotter and slightly higher PSI than the other 9 tires (6 truck, 4 trailer). Turns out, it ultimately caused me issues that I could have prevented if I had changed a tire at the campground (but I'm a moron).
I'm with Doug, (well, not the moron part! )

I try to get a baseline once we get going and then periodically compare about every 15 minutes. I also ask the DW to do the same.

I know the alarm will sound when there is an issue but if I can see trouble brewing, it's best to check. Same goes for your dash gauges...lights will blink and bells will whistle when there's trouble but I still look at them to monitor the conditions.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 03:12 PM   #11
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
(but I'm a moron).
Now that made me crack up laughing..

I want to monitor them as well. Tpms does nothing if it alerts as the tire is coming apart. I'd rather keep an eye on things as they begin to get close to an alert, more time to find a safe pull over location.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 03:16 PM   #12
Broken Toe

Quote:

Thank you, but I am quite capable of doing a complete scan of my all my gauges periodically while in motion, safely and quickly. Many problems can be headed off with early detection, and some will be non-problems if you can take into account the rate of change. Idiot lights or alarms are fine to get your attention. but they do not give you any more info other than "HEY! LOOK AT ME!" (or sometimes "HEY! YOU ARE ALREADY SO HOSED")

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Old 03-13-2017, 03:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
It takes several seconds for each sensor to display or 10-20 seconds to rotate between 4 tires. You are going to double that with 8 tires and will have to spending more time glancing at the display when ever you want to check the pressure of all tires and half that time will be empty values.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I'm with Doug,
I try to get a baseline once we get going and then periodically compare about every 15 minutes.

Same goes for your dash gauges...lights will blink and bells will whistle when there's trouble but I still look at them to monitor the conditions.
Based on numbers in dalford's post, "checking periodically, every 15 minutes means you are taking your eyes off the road for an extended period. 10-20 seconds to view temp/pressure of 4 tires at 65 is a long way. If the recommendation to the OP to use inside wheels for 1 trailer and outside for the other, now you are into 20-40 seconds - around a half mile of travel. Glancing at your dashboard gauges for engine and tranny temps takes under a second.

Personally, I put the time invested in watching all the tire pressures and temps while driving in the same class as someone texting while driving.

If you are really concerned about tire temp/pressure, tighten up the settings for the alarms. Having your co-pilot check is a totally different thing.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 05:31 PM   #14

Not at all in the same category as texting IMO. I can check my tire temps in 15 seconds without taking my eyes off the road for more than 2 seconds. I do only check it though when traffic is minimal. It is not much different than when I'm taking a sip of water.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 06:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Based on numbers in dalford's post, "checking periodically, every 15 minutes means you are taking your eyes off the road for an extended period. 10-20 seconds to view temp/pressure of 4 tires at 65 is a long way. If the recommendation to the OP to use inside wheels for 1 trailer and outside for the other, now you are into 20-40 seconds - around a half mile of travel. Glancing at your dashboard gauges for engine and tranny temps takes under a second.

Personally, I put the time invested in watching all the tire pressures and temps while driving in the same class as someone texting while driving.

If you are really concerned about tire temp/pressure, tighten up the settings for the alarms. Having your co-pilot check is a totally different thing.
Wow, did I say take my eyes off the road for 20 seconds.. no. I glance at the display and read a tire and then back at the road knowing that it will be a few seconds before the next tire displays, then glance back again. The TPMS only displays the pressure of one tire at a time.

You look at your gauges, rear view mirrors, radio dial, or out the side window. Maybe you have your copilot do that also but that takes no more time than any of those to glance at the tire monitor.

Makes no sense to wait for an alarm, probably to late by then. Might as well put it in the back seat and just listen for the alarm or the trailer swaying on the road.

Old 03-13-2017, 06:28 PM   #16

I monitor my pressures and temps while driving...

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 06:47 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
I monitor my pressures and temps while driving...
Mine is mounted in the same place...

Old 03-13-2017, 06:58 PM   #18

Location: Jonesboro AR--Home of Arkansas State University and the Red Wolves
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
I have decided to pull the trigger and get the TST 507 system for my Rockwood. But I have a question...

I also have a flatbed car hauler that it would be nice to have TMPS on it as well. Is there a way to set up the head for use with a second trailer? Of course I would have to buy 4 more sensors, but it would be handy not having to swap out them out from one unit to the other.

Tim
Recently installed four of the banded internal sensors on my 3500HD truck( because GM found a way to wiggle out of not putting them on at the factory) and I monitor those four on the same monitor that monitors the 5 tires for the fifth wheel(spare and 4 on the ground).....yeah, when I'm not hooked up to the camper, it still goes thru all the tire positions but this is not that time consuming.....you don't have to watch it long to pick up the approximate time it takes to cycle back to the beginning......btw, I bought mine from Tweetys RV....I found I could buy a complete kit of 4 internal sensors, monitor, all accessories for the same price that 4 extra sensors were going to cost.....so I now have an extra monitor, wiring, etc for a backup if something goes wrong.
2014-38nights/3500 mi; 2015-66nights/6260 mi;2016-44 nights/6106 mi;2017-65nights/6992 mi;2018-47nights/7376mi;2019-65nights/7825 mi;2020-59nights/4142mi;2021-39nights/3072 mi;2022-59-nights/6149 mi;2023-36nights/3001miles.
jtownstumpjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 07:47 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtownstumpjumper View Post
Recently installed four of the banded internal sensors on my 3500HD truck( because GM found a way to wiggle out of not putting them on at the factory) and I monitor those four on the same monitor that monitors the 5 tires for the fifth wheel(spare and 4 on the ground).....yeah, when I'm not hooked up to the camper, it still goes thru all the tire positions but this is not that time consuming.....you don't have to watch it long to pick up the approximate time it takes to cycle back to the beginning......btw, I bought mine from Tweetys RV....I found I could buy a complete kit of 4 internal sensors, monitor, all accessories for the same price that 4 extra sensors were going to cost.....so I now have an extra monitor, wiring, etc for a backup if something goes wrong.
If you have an extra monitor why not program it for just the truck tires. Use it when not connected to the TV (which is most of the time) and use your current monitor when your connected to TV or sell it to the OP and he can do that

Old 03-13-2017, 08:08 PM   #20

tpms

Have put one on both of my vehicles- mine will alarm if pressure drop of 3 pounds in a set time = also alarm at catastrophic failure and high temp readings- all which i program in when setting up . you can set your own parameters for individual tires- if using different pressures and temps just keep track of which wheels are being used, it will monitor up to 26 tires
Had a front brake starting to hang and it let me know as temps were slightly higher on front right than other tires= just scan for red lights or listen for alarms
as you can- its faster than I am at locating troubles
Won;t leave home without one even though i check pressures before each trip
AlanZ is offline   Reply With Quote