Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2020, 12:05 PM   #21

Special thanks to Lewisra and Trawlerphil for your suggestions. If backing in doesn't work, I can always try a drop hitch (I went on line to view a few--ingenious invention) or maybe even doing both, a drop hitch and backing up the driveway. I may have to spend a few, or a lot of, hours in the Mall parking lot learning to back-up--smile.
Willie Hayes Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 12:08 PM   #22

hack522, I am not sure of what you mean. Could you elaborate please?
Old 03-15-2020, 12:09 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Hayes Jr View Post
I noticed that the rear of the TT is sloped upward, i.e., rather than being level, the back of the trailer, it is an upward slop of about 3 to 5 degrees. It suddenly dawned on me, why not back the trailer in. By the time the rear of the trailer can meet the upward slope of the driveway, the rear wheels may begin their upward trajectory, lifting the tail up. This is just a hypothesis, and will need real world testing. What do you think?
Yup, it's all about the ACTUAL conditions/measurements/configurations. You still need to look at the crown of the main road. For example, if you're backing it in as suggested, you may be fine if the main road is perfectly flat. But if it's crowned like most roads, then your TV hitch is going to be sitting higher than your TT, causing the back end of the TT to dip (relatively speaking). Remember, it's not just the hitch height relative to the ground, it's also (and more importantly) the position of your hitch relative to the fulcrum of your TT's axle . . .
There's got to be an animated illustration of this somewhere on YouTube!!
Old 03-15-2020, 12:19 PM   #24

Quote:
Thanks to all you guys for you suggestions. However, yesterday I went to a TT dealer to measure from ground to the rear of the trailer. I noticed that the rear of the TT is sloped upward, i.e., rather than being level, the back of the trailer, it is an upward slop of about 3 to 5 degrees. It suddenly dawned on me, why not back the trailer in. By the time the rear of the trailer can meet the upward slope of the driveway, the rear wheels may begin their upward trajectory, lifting the tail up. This is just a hypothesis, and will need real world testing. What do you think?
The beaver tail helps either way. Backing in could be more difficult.
aircommuter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 12:52 PM   #25

Flat bed tow truck. He could drive it right up your driveway and drop it off.
Quote:
hack522, I am not sure of what you mean. Could you elaborate please?
hack522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 01:10 PM   #26

Hack522, would not the cost of one time in the driveway and one time out of the driveway cost close to the same as a monthly fee to store the trailer in town?
Old 03-16-2020, 10:11 AM   #27

measure center of rear leel to rear of trailer
Distance for lowest point of rear of trailer to ground
bottom of slope, use something vertical, measure up vertical rise.
Bottom of slope measurement from axle to rear of trailer.
Long shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 10:17 AM   #28

I have no idea. Contact some local towing companies. But the concern appeared to be related to ground clearance of the TT.
Quote:
Hack522, would not the cost of one time in the driveway and one time out of the driveway cost close to the same as a monthly fee to store the trailer in town?
hack522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 12:17 PM   #29

Just make a ramp out of 2x6 or wider. Make two and use it to lift the trailer over the spot it wants to hit. Its cheap and will work for years!
AceCombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 12:25 PM   #30

Air Combat; that was my very first idea to solve the problem. I think all you guys have given me the ideas I need to go through with my purchase this Spring. Thank you all so very much.
Old 03-21-2020, 12:43 PM   #31

where their is a will there IS a way!

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote