Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2011, 10:36 AM   #1

Turn off the MAIN...

......water valve in the house before you leave on your trip! I leaned the hard way:>(

My wife and I were in Maine when we got call from out neighbor, who was checking the cat, that our living room ceiling was on the 1.5" of water that was on the living room floor. Needless to say the drive back to Maryland was a long one. 750 miles in less than 24 hours. I put my wife on a plane in Manchester NH and I drove the rest of the way with the dog. The house is a mess with extensive damage to the entire 1st floor and crawl space. It may be 4-6 mo's before we get back in.

One other note. Make sure you take a good look at your home owners ins. to make sure it covers damage from mold as well,Most don't.

Paul
psmcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:07 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Paul, big time bummer on the damaged house, and good luck with your repairs. Thanks for giving us all a heads up on this type of thing. I always cut my water off before leaving for any kind of overnite trip, but something like this could happen even during a work day while away from home.

Per chance, does your house have Quest pipes ?? Let us know when you find out exactly what happened, so that we can be aware of things to look for.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:29 AM   #3
Site Team

What failed??
Flex line to a toilet?
Washing machine hose??
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:53 PM   #4

An ounce of prevention, the DW and I always even for a weekend away hit the circut breaker for the well pump and the furnace. Rather be safe then have to come home to a mess.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:10 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindy View Post
An ounce of prevention, the DW and I always even for a weekend away hit the circut breaker for the well pump and the furnace. Rather be safe then have to come home to a mess.
Not the heating or cooling system here......I want that on.

I have breakers marked in my panel box so that I get the same ones each time. Water Heater, washer, dryer, microwave, range, dishwasher, tub motor, and a few other circuits that would not be needed while away. I also lock off a outside hydrant that is independent of my house water supply........so someone can not come by a get into some mischief by cutting that on.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 02:03 PM   #6

Sorry to hear about your mess PSMCN. We went to St. Augustine in July for our first trip in our new camper. We came back and found almost all of our electronic equipment in the house fried from lightning. Lost our 42 LCD TV, hometheater system, WII, router, modem, DirectTV DVR, computer and a few other small items. Over $3000 worth of items. We had surge protecters and they didn't do squat.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 02:03 PM   #7
Villa Estate 392FLFB

atleast it was clean water. lots of houses here had the dirty river water run through the house.. total write offs.. there was no repairing the homes
Old 09-10-2011, 09:38 AM   #8

I live in an older cape style house built in the mid 50's and for some reason they put the hot water heater up stairs and the house is all copper pipe.. Well guess what gave... You got it, the hot water heater. We were just discussing replacing it because of it's age but I guess we waited a little to long. So, yes it was clean water but it was warm water which propagated mold growth rather quickly. We are now considering a tankless HW heater.

I have learned my lesson and during the rebuild I am going to have easy to turn ball valves put in instead of gate valves on the main for the house.

What really compounds things now is the asbestos wrapping on the duct work that needs to be abated before anything else can be done.

We hired a public assessment team to help here because Allstate was making our heads spin. The structural adjuster did not look at the house for a week and when he did he said, " you'd be surprised how much those hardwood floors will go back down" Well i can tell you I had some choice words on the edge of my lips for him but I did not use them.

This is one hell of a way to get the floors and walls redone as well as new duct work, furnace and maybe new AC unit.

When I got home I lived in my RV for a week at the house. It was very convenient and a little respite from the craziness going on. It needs a good cleaning and then it's time to go camping very soon.

Thanks for all the responses.

Paul
psmcn is offline   Reply With Quote