Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2012, 11:30 AM   #1

TV Cable

We recently took delivery of a 2012 Blue Ridge 3125RT. There was nothing in the literature about how the RV was wired for TV. I called Forest River for a schematic and there is none. I looked on this Forum for some ideas and there were few. So I will post what I have found out and maybe this will help.
1. The bedroom has the TV antenna booster control and coaxial cable connection, it also has two other coaxial connections, one is for "cable", and the other is for satellite. The living room has two coaxial cable connections, one is for "cable" and the other is for satellite. It is noted that the living room TV is already connected to the TV antenna and booster. It is also connected to the DVD player by a HDMI cable labeled HDMI 1 on the TV input. There is also a TV coaxial connection in the storage compartment (that I call the basement) labeled "cable".

1. The three connections labeled "cable" are to the used with a RV park that has cable. Just connect to the park's RV cable and connect each TV to the coaxial connection labeled "cable". All the trailer's "cable" connections (bedroom, living room, and basement) are wired together.
2. The Antenna comes into the trailer in the bedroom. A cable is run to the bedroom and living room TVs from the factory. The booster button is in this bedroom connection. This Antenna coax is already connected to the living room TV. Just push the booster button, select TV/Antenna input with the TV remote on each TV and search for channels. The basement TV does not have an Antenna coaxial connection. At this point you can put a splitter on the bedroom antenna coaxial connection and run a cable to the bedroom "cable" coaxial connection. This will put the antennae signal into the "cable" wiring allowing you to you an outside TV with the basement coaxial connection.
3. Satellite connections. This is where it gets sticky. There are two outside inputs for satellite signals. One is labeled main and goes to the TV in the living room. The other is just labeled satellite and this one goes to the TV in the bedroom. These are separate inputs. This system is designed for satellite dishes with two LNBs and where there are two receivers in the RV so that the bedroom and living room TVs can watch two different satellite programs. If you have this system you are set, just connect two cables to the satellite inputs. You will not have a signal in the basement but you can use the "cable" instructions listed in 2. I recently have bought, and am using, a DISH tailgater (which I thoroughly love). The tailgater has only one satellite connection. I connected it to the Main satellite connection and the signal only goes to the living room TV. I bought another HDMI cable and ran it from the satellite receiver to the living room TV. The living room TV has now HDMI 1, HDMI 2, and antenna connected and all are in HD. You toggle with the TV remote and the inputs. The problem is that you do not have satellite in the bedroom. To solve this I took the TV out coaxial connection, on the back of the satellite receiver and connected it to the coaxial connection labeled "cable “in the living room. This put the satellite signal to the bedroom TV and to the Basement TV. This signal is not HD but is acceptable for us. I also bought infra red pyramids that allow us to change satellite channels from the bedroom. I also purchased an A/B coaxial switch for the two TV outputs now connected to the one coaxial TV input on the bedroom TV. I will stop here to see if there are any further interest or comments.
wrtdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:48 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

W R,

Not sure what you are asking.
Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on everything.
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:05 PM   #3

I pick up a V-Cross 5th wheel tomorrow, so I am very interested in your post. At least I now know that the tailgater is good and when I go to Dish from DirecTV I will be able to get HD. To get HD with DirecTV it seems the cost is about $1,650 for the dish! The tailgater which I am told will allow HD from Dish is on sale for $650 at Camping World. We need others to post their experience!
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:17 PM   #4

Tailgater

The portable system that you are describing at Camping World is the Winegard unit for $699. This is not the portable satellite system that I am describing. Dish network makes the Tailgater. It can be bought for $350. You will need a 211 Dish receiver and that is another $150. We search online for "Dish Tailgater". We bought the portable dish and receiver for $499 online from Sears. We received it within a week. I can tell you about the setup if you are interested and/or if you think others may be interested.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:12 PM   #5

RE: wrtdotcom
As a 6 week owner of a new Silverback 29RL I'm very interested in how you solved your TV issues. I've spent countless frustrating hours troubleshooting our Antenna/Cable and Sat TV issues. Have found & corrected two sets of crossed/mislabeled coax wires which finally allowed us to watch OTA TV & park cable in both the LR and bedroom and DirecTV with portable carryout dish in the LR only. I cannot figure out how to get a signal through the DirecTV receiver and to the TV when the DirecTV receiver is connected to the Satellite coax wall outlet in the bedroom. Took the wall plate off to see if the coax connectors were connected to anything (i.e. coax cable!) and that they were attached/terminated properly. It appears they are...but can't tell much more than that. There are two white coax cables, but I can't see anything more than a bunch of insulation in behind the wall plate opening.

To make sure the bedroom VizioTV was working properly I setup the DirecTV dish & receiver to work with the Jensen TV in the LR, then tested the same setup with the Vizio TV and confirmed that it works. Next, I moved the Vizio and DirecTV receiver to the bedroom, connecting it to the satellite coax wall connection. No go--got the dreaded "searching for satellite" message.

I hope there's a signal at the end of the tunnel, but I fear there is no tunnel or it's the tunnel to nowhere. Any help or further troubleshooting ideas are greatly appreciated.
W2son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:39 PM   #6

TV Cable

I suspect that you have the same problem that I had in that the satellite coax connection, in the bedroom, is not connected to the satellite input, on the outside of the trailer that your LR TV is connected to. It probably has a separate satellite input. Try and connect the "Out to TV" coax connection on the back of your LR receiver to the Coax Connection labled "Cable". Connect your bedroom TV to the Coax Connection labled "Cable" and I bet you get your satellite channels on the bedroom TV. It is not going to be HD. Buy some infra-red triangles and your can change the channels from the bedroom. The only problem is that you will not be able to watch two different satellite channels in the LR and BR. But, you can now have an external TV by connecting to the cable input on the outside of the trailer and the triangles should allow you to change channels from outside the trailer. (just a thought) I certainly hope that I understood your problem. By the way, Forest River did tell me that there are actually two more satellite inputs that are plumbed to the roof for a roof mount satellite dish. I would guess they are already wired into the respective coaxial connections. The Tailgater can be stolen very easily and I am thinking about mounting it to the Ladder and, if correct, will connect to the roof mount input.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:49 PM   #7

wrtdotcom, Thank you very much for your suggestion. I will try the cable connection tomorrow and let you know how it turned out. BTW no HD isn't a problem as we only have the SD capable MP-1 carryout.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:00 PM   #8

Cable TV

"Try and connect the "Out to TV" coax connection on the back of your LR receiver to the Coax Connection labled "Cable". Connect your bedroom TV to the Coax Connection labled "Cable" and I bet you get your satellite channels on the bedroom TV."
Tomorrow took a long time... I tried your suggestion of connecting the DirectTV reciever's TV output to the cable connection. Unfortunately it did not provide any DirecTV output to the bedroom TV. Is it possible the signal attenuates such that it would require a SAT TV signal booster/amplifier? Are there any downsides to trying a signal booster in the event the satellite and over-the-air TV antenna/park CATV cables are crossed?
Old 03-19-2012, 02:23 PM   #9

wtrdotcom, thanks for taking the time to share that information.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:00 PM   #10

TV Cable

We took the Blue Ridge to Fredericksburg, Texas last weekend. I used the Dish Tailgater and it worked just great. I even got our Dallas local channels there which was good as I could only get one channel on the camper antenna. I connected just as I described in the first post and I am able to get my Dish channels in the LR, BR, and the basement area. And also the camper antenna to all TVs as well. I really wish I had an adapter to change one of the coax cables to RCA cables. This would enable me to just change TV input instead of searching for channels each time I toggle the A/B switch from Antenna to Satellite. We used to be able to do that with a VCR player but that was before digital. I cook outside a lot and it is nice to have a TV outside. Also, I found that using new cable and a light wrench tightening is one key to a good reception.