Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2019, 07:30 PM   #1

Two Completely Unrelated Questions :-)

I'm going for two for one:

1. Today I was shortening my brake release cable. After I finished I thought I'd pull out the pin once for no really important reason. No matter how hard I pulled with my hand I could not get it out. I am wondering how much pull it takes to get it out, mostly so I can make sure it's working properly. Should I just leave it alone or should it be tested?

2. I have just finished installing two TT bumper supports (steel struts) to strengthen my rear bumper and then installed a 2" receiver and a back rack. I don't think I have exceptionally large bikes but two different covers I have tried (not cheap ones) have not been able to properly fit my two bikes (mounted standing up facing opposite directions). I took some measurements and the bike configuration is 75" long, 26" wide, and about 44" tall. Anyone have suggestions for a quality bike cover I can use for this on the back of my TT?

Thanks,
Rob
robbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:42 PM   #2

I can't give you a answer for the second part but your brake pin should pull with a quick snap of the cable however it could be rusted in and that is why you should test once in awhile.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:43 PM   #3
Site Team

You do not list your unit so will make some assumptions here.

1. I assume you are referring to the break away cable and pin. The pin should pull with some effort. They have been known to corrode and stick. The entire assembly is easy and inexpensive to replace. Be careful not to shorten the cable too much as it needs slack for sharp turns. You do not want it to pull out while traveling.

2. As for the bike rack. be careful adding bike racks and bikes to the bumper of lite and ultra lite units. The frames are not designed for the stress of bike rack. You also need to be careful securing bikes as they will bounce a lot. There are multiple threads by members who have added bikes to the back of lite and ultra-lite units only to have then fall off.

I suggest you add your TV and RV make and model to your signature. It will help when people are trying to help.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
You do not list your unit so will make some assumptions here.

1. I assume you are referring to the break away cable and pin. The pin should pull with some effort. They have been known to corrode and stick. The entire assembly is easy and inexpensive to replace. Be careful not to shorten the cable too much as it needs slack for sharp turns. You do not want it to pull out while traveling.

2. As for the bike rack. be careful adding bike racks and bikes to the bumper of lite and ultra lite units. The frames are not designed for the stress of bike rack. You also need to be careful securing bikes as they will bounce a lot. There are multiple threads by members who have added bikes to the back of lite and ultra-lite units only to have then fall off.

I suggest you add your TV and RV make and model to your signature. It will help when people are trying to help.
I can't quite find where to update my signature. Can you point me to the right place?

Also I added steel bumper struts that bolt heavily into the bumper support beams. They are rated to 400 pounds so I am hoping I am safe. Keeps the bumper weld seams from taking any stress because the steel struts take all the stress.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:53 PM   #5

Found the signature edit page :-)
STS TPMS
Old 03-24-2019, 08:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbecky View Post
I can't quite find where to update my signature. Can you point me to the right place?

Also I added steel bumper struts that bolt heavily into the bumper support beams. They are rated to 400 pounds so I am hoping I am safe. Keeps the bumper weld seams from taking any stress because the steel struts take all the stress.
Top left corner of this page. Click on user CP
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Top left corner of this page. Click on user CP
Thank you sir :-).
STS TPMS
Old 03-25-2019, 01:16 PM   #8

I put a front receiver hitch on the front and put the bikes on it. It does not effect my view and it keeps it off the trailer rear bumper.
2014 RZR XP 1000
Days Camped in '18- 106
Days Camped in ‘19- 23
Tucson Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 01:24 PM   #9

Carrier, which mounts to the tongue's a-frame.
https://smile.amazon.com/STROMBER-CC.../dp/B01IC61QYC

You add this to the cross members and then mount your bike rack on it. Much safer. It also allows you to keep an eye on the bikes.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 02:04 PM   #10
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
... I added steel bumper struts that bolt heavily into the bumper support beams. They are rated to 400 pounds so I am hoping I am safe. Keeps the bumper weld seams from taking any stress because the steel struts take all the stress.
You missed the point of Flybob's comment. The FRAMES can't take the stress. All you did was strengthen the bumper which is attached to the frame. The same frame mentioned previously.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 02:25 PM   #11
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by awellis3 View Post
You missed the point of Flybob's comment. The FRAMES can't take the stress. All you did was strengthen the bumper which is attached to the frame. The same frame mentioned previously.
I know folks like to point out that the bumpers and frames can't hold up to adding bike racks and carriers... BUT... there are some rigs out there where the frame is plenty heavy enough and the bumper is thin crap. I have had one and seen plenty others.

The struts mentioned were designed/manufactured for these instances and do work well at reinforcing the thin bumper and inferior welds.

Are there those rigs out there that shouldn't have ANYTHING attached to the bumper?... sure... but maybe before we jump to conclusions, we simply caution and ask if those things were considered before we say it can't be done.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 02:39 PM   #12

Quote:

1. Today I was shortening my brake release cable. After I finished I thought I'd pull out the pin once for no really important reason. No matter how hard I pulled with my hand I could not get it out. I am wondering how much pull it takes to get it out, mostly so I can make sure it's working properly. Should I just leave it alone or should it be tested?

2. I have just finished installing two TT bumper supports (steel struts) to strengthen my rear bumper and then installed a 2" receiver and a back rack. I don't think I have exceptionally large bikes but two different covers I have tried (not cheap ones) have not been able to properly fit my two bikes (mounted standing up facing opposite directions). I took some measurements and the bike configuration is 75" long, 26" wide, and about 44" tall. Anyone have suggestions for a quality bike cover I can use for this on the back of my TT?

Thanks,
Rob
I also just strengthened my bumper with 1/4 inch thick steel brackets and 1/2 x 5" bolts. Two on the top and two on the bottom. Its not going anywhere. I have an aluminum truck tool box in a 2" receiver on it for my sewer hoses and connections and occasional firewood. I havent found a modern day sewer hose yet that would fit in that bumper and rust it out after a couple years.
Lee Pedrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 04:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Thank you sir :-).
i don't recall a 5.8 ltr Hemi you may want to update your sig to 5.7...
Old 03-25-2019, 05:47 PM   #14

Quote:

Check the wires that connect to the device to make sure they are not in contact with other wires or connectors. When we were hooking up for our first trip with our Rockwood 2015 2064ws, I yanked on the brake release cable. It broke in half, leaving part of the pin inside the device. Upon examination, I determined that a connection to the device had shorted on another wire that connected to the battery and the pin had melted inside. For $20, I purchased a new brake release device and installed it for our trip. It took an hour to determine what caused the short, another hour to buy the device and 20 minutes to install it. Our shakedown trip was saved.

"I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. . .I guess."
Red Green
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
rockfossilman is offline   Reply With Quote